SASS Wire Forum

Gold coin collection value, need help.

Old Irish Shooter

I have sold some silver on here before but I have no idea of value of this partial set. Don’t want to sell but family member is in need of help so while I am trying not to let these go for next to nothing I would like to know the value. Would these sell better broken up or just keep together? I will post these on here but I just need to know more about them.IMG_0841.thumb.jpeg.02a21a9e0d3aee8debe0c4bb2a67226f.jpegIMG_0845.heicIMG_0845.heicIMG_0844.heicIMG_0843.heicIMG_0842.heicIMG_0841.thumb.jpeg.02a21a9e0d3aee8debe0c4bb2a67226f.jpeg

Gold was running around 1930.00 U.S. per ounce the last I looked.

No idea about minted coins, weights or carats of your coins.

Your higher valued coins would benefit from NGC or PCGS grading and certification.   That way it's easy to look up the price by year, mint and grade and everybody is on the same page.  It also gives the buyer some assurance that they are not fakes.

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Your higher valued coins would benefit from NGC or PCGS grading and certification.   That way it's easy to look up the price by year, mint and grade and everybody is on the same page.  It also gives the buyer some assurance that they are not fakes.

I thought about NGC and may go that route. I started getting value using their site.

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thanks.  I asked because I to hear on the morning radio news commercials for collectors sets of coins "each coin clad in genuine 23 karat gold plate!"

All of these coins are dated mid 1800’s to the latest one of 1911. 

• Thanks 1

You would be best separating and selling individual and let each coin stand on its own worth .   The display was sold empty allowing collector to add coins as they had them thus why no years of mint on display .

https://www.coinsupplyexpress.com/460G-Capital-sku-18992.html?feed=Froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjMKqBhCgARIsAPDgWlypedWeBTGbwMnJQ2omfElXe84ZmsFlncXHGS3gOrDMXR8XyppwMPMaAq_xEALw_wcB

13 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

You would be best separating and selling individual and let each coin stand on its own worth .   The display was sold empty allowing collector to add coins as they had them thus why no years of mint on display .

https://www.coinsupplyexpress.com/460G-Capital-sku-18992.html?feed=Froogle&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjMKqBhCgARIsAPDgWlypedWeBTGbwMnJQ2omfElXe84ZmsFlncXHGS3gOrDMXR8XyppwMPMaAq_xEALw_wcB

That’s the route I am actually leaning to. I was using the NGC site to get a in the middle value to post a dollar amount. All of the coins are legible and crisp with inclusions of a coin of this age. They are no proofs but definitely not in poor condition. 

IMG_0839.jpeg

Just now, Old Irish Shooter said:

That’s the route I am actually leaning to. I was using the NGC site to get a in the middle value to post a dollar amount. All of the coins are legible and crisp with inclusions of a coin of this age. They are no proofs but definitely not in poor condition. 

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0840.jpeg

If average gold coins, they can be treated as bouillon and sell for 90% of spot price with no quibbles. The remaining 10% goes to the middleman who will have it sold in less than 10 minutes after you leave the store.

This is better than what you would get for jewelry.

But it is worth spending a bit of time to find out if you have actual "coin" value (aka collector value) for something special. You probably do not have something special. You could do 10% better of you can find the right buyer,

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Gold was running around 1930.00 U.S. per ounce the last I looked.

No idea about minted coins, weights or carats of your coins.

Those coins are worth WAAAAAAAY more than their bullion value, by many times.  Using weight and price per ounce is going to get him hosed.

OP, you need to have the collection appraised.  I see you're in Kansas, about an 8-hour drive from Colorado Springs.  There is a dealer in Colorado Springs who is a past president of the American Numismatic Association, and so was his father, the store's founder.  The store is named Hallenbeck Coin Gallery.  Let me be frank:  That collection is worth A LOT OF MONEY, and it will be well worth the 8 hour drive to have Hallenbeck appraise it.  With an appraisal from him, you will be able to sell it and know you're getting a fair deal.  Call him and set up an appointment before you come. 

Edited by Cyrus Cassidy #45437
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Those coins are worth WAAAAAAAY more than their bullion value, buy many times.  Using weight and price per ounce is going to get him hosed.

OP, you need to have the collection appraised.  I see you're in Kansas, about an 8-hour drive from Colorado Springs.  There is a dealer in Colorado Springs who is a past president of the American Numismatic Association, and so was his father, the store's founder.  The store is named Hallenbeck Coin Gallery.  Let me be frank:  That collection is worth A LOT OF MONEY, and it will be well worth the 8 hour drive to have Hallenbeck appraise it.  With an appraisal from him, you will be able to sell it and know you're getting a fair deal.  Call him and set up an appointment before you come. 

Thank you, I will indeed. 

26 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Those coins are worth WAAAAAAAY more than their bullion value, by many times.  Using weight and price per ounce is going to get him hosed.

THIS ^^^^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Sorry Pard, I thought I was making it clear that the gold bullion value alone was high, when I clarified that I had no idea about the numismatic value or whether the coins were 24 carat or something less.

I guess I should have said the gold bullion value alone is.......

If you are on Facebook go to groups and type Gold.

There are dozens

I particularly like the pre 1933 Gold group.

There are ready buyers and sellers.

You can set up an auction for no fee.

Just be careful of your buyer. Like any online forum. Even the Wire.

So I reached out to Hallenbeck today and several phone conversations and detailed pictures being sent. Last update today was I should know some numbers late morning tomorrow and they even went as far as to mention helping out in getting the collection there via Fedex. 
Will update with figures tomorrow.

I attached the newest coin in the batch out of the plastic and I must say they all look really sharp.

IMG_0848.jpeg

• Like 4

Howdy,

Maybe let us know what they are asking?

Or pm me as I would like a couple depending on price.

Probably will add up to a good bit.

Best

CR

That indian head sure looks nice.