SASS Wire Forum

Lawmen: Bass Reeves

sassnetguy50

I am really looking forward to this one, a story long overdue in the telling.

• Like 5

Just now, Pat Riot said:

I will look for this. I have Paramount+.

What do you pay for it? I'm curious, is it worth it?

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What do you pay for it? I'm curious, is it worth it?

It is to me. They have all the Star Trek series and movies. My wife likes the cop series on there.  It’s $11.99 per month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is interesting. At least it's interesting to me.

Couple of weeks back somebody posted a picture. And one of the men in the picture was a white guy named Bass Outlaw.

And I read that and I thought - Wait a minute. Wasn't that the guy that was supposed to be the inspiration for the Lone Ranger? I thought he was black?

So I do a search for the inspiration of the Lone Ranger, and I come up with a page from the History channel.

https://www.history.com/news/bass-reeves-real-lone-ranger-a-black-man

Oh. Okay, Bass REEVES, not Bass OUTLAW.

In the article it says

As deputy marshal, Bass is said to have arrested more than 3,000 people and killed 14 outlaws, all without sustaining a single gun wound, writes biographer Art T. Burton, who first asserted the theory that Bass had inspired the Lone Ranger in his 2006 book, Black Gun, Silver Star: The Life and Legend of Frontier Marshal Bass Reeves.

So we got this guy that wrote a book, and in the book he threw out the theory that Bass Reeves was the inspiration for the Lone Ranger.

One guy had a theory, and got it published. Now, everywhere, all over the internet, it will tell you, as a fact, that Bass Reeves was the original Lone Ranger. Because somebody wrote it in a book, and people quoted it on the net. No other mention of this anywhere except this one book. But now everyone knows that he was the original Lone Ranger.

Don't you love the internet.

• Haha 2

The Lone Ranger was a product of Zane Grey I've read in some accounts.  His model was purported to be none other than Frank Hamer.  I don't buy into Bass Reeves being the Lone Ranger at all.  Great lawman but Lone Ranger no.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

It is to me. They have all the Star Trek series and movies. My wife likes the cop series on there.  It’s $11.99 per month. 

It's ONLY $11.99/month. :D

You want sports channels? Prepare to sell a kidney. I know a guy, a sports NUT who pays $450/month for what must be every sports channel available.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

The Lone Ranger was a product of Zane Grey I've read in some accounts.  His model was purported to be none other than Frank Hamer.  I don't buy into Bass Reeves being the Lone Ranger at all.  Great lawman but Lone Ranger no.

Interesting, I have not heard this about Frank. He is a relative on my mothers side. I have been to the Ranger Museum in Waco and they don't say anything about this either. Would love to see more info on this if you have it.

Thanks

Texas Maverick

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I think the quality of shows on Paramount + is worth the cost.

Just know that Yellowstone is not included with Paramount + even though Paramount produces it. 

4 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

Interesting, I have not heard this about Frank. He is a relative on my mothers side. I have been to the Ranger Museum in Waco and they don't say anything about this either. Would love to see more info on this if you have it.

Thanks

Texas Maverick

https://russellcushman.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-masked-man-masked-bio-of-real-texas.html

• Like 1