SASS Wire Forum

Woman Calls Cops On ATF

Subdeacon Joe

So this was another case of the ATF showing up at somebody's house demanding to see a gun they legally bought last week?

"I can't breathe." "I have a medical condition."

He apparently paid close attention to the George Floyd BS.

I must have missed when they tasered him though. They had them out. They had them pointed. I think at one point they had them pushed up tight against him. But they were also tight up against him. Seems like if they zapped him they would also be zapping themselves.

This was over 3 years ago.  The ATF agent (16years) is sueing the police officers(20years each) and the city.  He has since been moved to an administrative position.  

@Alpo No, from memory, the ATF agent was there to seize the shotgun which the husband had bought but was later determined not legal to possess.  This was not an investigation into suspected straw purchases.  

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/18717333/burk-v-city-of-columbus/

seems to me all he had to do was follow the directions the officers gave then calmly explain , its like people anymore immediately refuse to comply then expect it to be someone else's fault , 

26 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Cop #1 and Mr. ATF should be fired.

Why do you want to fire the cop?

This is what I got out of the video.

Guy wearing no uniform shows up at the door and informs the woman that he is a cop and he wants to come in and see a shotgun that her husband bought the other week. She told him that nobody come in the house when her husband wasn't there. Then she shuts the door and he tries to force his way in.

She calls the police and says there is somebody here impersonating a police officer trying to break into my house.

The cop shows up, sees the suspect, who is wearing a gun, and draws his own gun and tells the suspect to get on the ground. The suspect refuses. The cop tells him not to reach for his gun. Not to reach for his waistband. Not to reach for something in his pockets. To get on the ground. And the armed suspect refuses.

Surprising me greatly, the cop does not shoot him.

Another cop shows up, and now there are two cops pointing guns at the suspect and telling him to get down on the ground. Then he starts claiming he's a cop too. Then he starts claiming he can't breathe. Then he starts claiming he has a medical condition. And he fights them as they try to put the handcuffs on him.

And they still did not shoot him.

Now I ain't a cop. Never claimed to be one. Ain't never had no police training. But I didn't see anything that cop did wrong. Mr "I'm a federal agent" - he did all kinds of things wrong.

I see nothing wrong with the cops actions. The ATF agent is a bonehead. Being an Officer of the law he should know better. Comply with the local police instructions and all would have gone smoothly. Like Alpo Ive never been in Law enforcement. Just a 20 year soldier. My question would be: why, as an ATF agent wouldn’t I have enforced local authorities of my intentions. It all could have been avoided with a little cooperation among agencies. The left Hand should know what the right is doing. The whole situation was ill planned. Just my 2 cents 

It was impossible for Cop#1 to see Mr. ATF's firearm as it was concealed and wasn't even found until after he was handcuffed. Cop#1 goes from "Hey, turn around, let me see your hands" and "I need to see some ID" to immediately drawing his weapon and screamingly ordering Mr. ATF to the ground. Meanwhile Mr. ATF IS showing his hands and attempting to tell Cop#1 that he is a Federal Agent. Cop#1 escalates the situation rapidly by loosing his cool and his temper. Anything about forcing the door is not mentioned until well after Mr. ATF is in custody.

In my opinion, Mr. ATF is a friggin idiot by NOT having his ID visible while trying to serve papers for an illegal shotgun purchase and then further compounds it exponentially by resisting. I seriously doubt that he has any of the medical conditions he said he had either, you're right about the Floyd similarities.

Cop#1 shows me that he does not have the temperament for the job in the least and this is while the camera is rolling. I'd hate to see how he acts when the camera isn't on. He's, for lack of a better word, a hothead and should not be a LEO.

The entire situation should have never happened the way it did...but it did.

Well the ATF agent did say several times he’s a federal agent! Hmmm…..I think the cop overreacted. 

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Cop#1 goes from "Hey, turn around, let me see your hands" and "I need to see some ID" to immediately drawing his weapon and screamingly ordering Mr. ATF to the ground.

Sorry, but, at least on YouTube, contradictory order are the rule.  "Don't move!" and "Get on the ground!" which requires movement.

"Show me some ID!" coupled with "Keep your hands where I can see the!" or "Don't reach for your pocket/waist!" How the heck are you supposed to show ID if you're not supposed to move, keep your hands in view, and not reach for anything?

Or there are 2 or more cops screaming, semi-coherently, at you ordering you to do different things.

10 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Cypress Sun In the video it said cop 1 was responding to radio dispatch saying an impersonator was trying to break into the residence.   Does that change your analysis?

No, it doesn't. Even though the video is three years old, there was such a thing as swatting back then also. People will call 911 with false accusations and wrong impressions...happens all the time, sometimes with innocent people getting fatally shot or seriously injured.

I will never blame a LEO for defending him/herself but this isn't the case here IMO. Both hands were in plain view (right hand holding papers/left hand fully visible with palm outstretched), Mr. ATF was not advancing toward Cop#1 and was trying to explain himself albeit no LEO credentials are visible. I saw no visible threat, Cop#1 drew his handgun, aimed it (finger on trigger as best as I could tell) at Mr. ATF, started yelling contradictory orders while quickly losing his temper.

I'm in no way defending MR. ATF...he's an idiot and should not have a LEO job...at the very least, not an be LEO field operative.

I stand by my assessment. Both Cop#1 and Mr. ATF should be fired.

The funniest part, of the whole video, is when the Fed while being cuffed says "The lady was freaking out......" all the while he's screaming like a little bitch. He was not  trying to be calm at all.

52 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

At least there were no dogs involved.

Pretty sure I've seen the video you're referencing... brutal.

If there had been dogs involved ATF guy would have complied a lot damn quicker.

From the video it looked like the cops responded correctly to the call they got while the ATF guy was acting like an entitled prick  who should have not been surprised when he wound up face down on the ground in handcuffs.

This whole episode could have been avoided if the jackass ATF guy....who seems  to think he doesn't have to obey ANY rules he doesn't like.... had simply complied in the first place.

Over the years I've met many ATF agents and most are pretty good people.  This guy ain't one of them.

The cops showed real restraint in what might have been a very nasty situation.

The ATF agent was/is unacceptably STUPID!!  If he had immediately followed the first officer’s instructions, this entire incident would have been a total nonissue!!

So the ATF pushes his way into the house past an older lady.  Does he have 'just cause' because he knows the guy bought the gun incorrectly or did he need a search warrant?  When they check for a straw purchase with no basis of the gun changing hands they need a warrant but they can't get one.

I mean the lady said 'no' and he doesn't explain he doesn't need a search warrant because...  He doesn't adequately explain he is ATF and he doesn't even wear a uniform.  It really is kind of ridiculous, somebody is going to get hurt.  If he shows up at my door with a cracker jack badge he better be prepared to wait outside till I call 911 and get someone to verify who he is.  To some degree it is ATF Managements fault, the process is wrong and they are arrogant.

Archived