SASS Wire Forum

As a child

Alpo

Did you have your name on your bedroom door?

I'm watching the first Deathly Hallows, and Harry has just walked into Sirius' old bedroom. Says Sirius on the door.

See this in a lot of movies and TV shows. "Ron's room". "Frank's room, keep out".

But all through my childhood, not only did none of the three of us kids have our name on our bedroom door, but I never saw it on any of my friends' doors.

Mildly curious as to whether anybody ever actually did that or if it's just simply a TV/movie thing.

I would have loved to have a room to myself as a kid. No, we didn’t have our names on the door. 

Come to think of it, the only rooms I ever had that had my name on the door were hospital rooms and offices. At least in the hospital rooms I got some good drugs. The only thing I got in my offices were reasons to want good drugs…

As the son of military Man growing up, I would probably have lost some privileges and given extra chores to have even tried to do that. Never meet anyone that did that either. As a matter of fact I probably never thought about having my own private space. 

yes , i agree , hollywood or spoiled only child , had to share a room till i hit 12 after that i was in the basement , none of us and none of our friends had names on our doors , 

My sister and I shared a bedroom until I was 12 when we moved and then had our own rooms. No signs though!

The first and, one of only maybe three times I have had my name on a door.  It read

Thomas R. Taylor    

Commanding Officer

It sits on a shelf above my desk right now.

The second time was a few weeks later when a near duplicate sign showed up on my desk.

Archived