SASS Wire Forum

Help with a Stoeger SxS

Jersey Kid, SASS #287

My Stoeger SxS has been acting up lately - when I fire the right barrel the action jumps open slightly which will not allow the left barrel to fire. If I open and close the action the left barrel will fire - any ideas? Thanks, JK

What Rye said, if the lever spring has been lightened, heavy ammo will cause that. Be sure the latch and grooves it slides in are clean, possibly not latching all the way. Presuming this issue has just started happening.

Howdy Jersey,

Before you start messing with the lever spring (unless you have reduced it a lot in length or strength) Take the barrels off and look carefully at the top of the sliding locking bolt. I had this problem with a very slightly shortened lever spring and discovered that the upper area of the  forward locking notch in the barrel under lug was scraping the locking lug and keeping it from fully seating. I relieved (filed) the upper area of the lug. not the lower bearing surface and the problem went away. That is what worked for me. I can't say that is your problem, but it might be worth a look.

Look very carefully at that forward locking notch and bold area. If you need to relieve the area DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE LOWER BEARING SURFACE. Just work on the upper surface.

Rev. Chase

Check this link. 
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Stoeger2.html

I had the same issue with my Stoeger. The answer is that the horizontal locking bar was not engaging the barrel locking lugs enough. I modified the sliding locking bar where it rides against the opening lever. Shortening the top of the locking bar where it rides against the opening lever will allow the locking bar to move farther forward, engaging deeper into the barrel locking lugs. 

No problems since. 

Good luck,

Sam Sackett 

I had the exact same problem after replacing the OEM lever Spring with the Palo Verde spring kit with just the white inserts after shooting about 200 rounds of low recoil Win AA 980 FPS.

I added two red washers and then the left barrel wouldn’t shoot at all.  Added two more red washers (4 total with the white inserts) and now it works just fine.  Lever is not as light but it is still better than the OEM. As mine is a brand new supreme single trigger model, I think it may have stopped working as the gun was broken in.

id love to see pics or a video from those that did some filing work.

13 hours ago, Sam Sackett said:

Check this link. 
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Stoeger2.html

I had the same issue with my Stoeger. The answer is that the horizontal locking bar was not engaging the barrel locking lugs enough. I modified the sliding locking bar where it rides against the opening lever. Shortening the top of the locking bar where it rides against the opening lever will allow the locking bar to move farther forward, engaging deeper into the barrel locking lugs. 

No problems since. 

Good luck,

Sam Sackett 

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

It is very hard to explain why this happens with stoeger shotguns so read it, read it again, read it one more time while holding the parts so you can see what needs done to permanently fix it. OR just put a heavier spring in it and fight to open it every time.

Also check for a small, flattened piece of lead shot anywhere that could affect the lockup. Look at the locking bar and barrel recess, where the frame and barrels meet, anywhere it could get caught. Sometimes it just looks like a small shiny spot on the receiver and has to be scraped off with a razor blade. I have had this happen to me twice.

Here is a diagram showing a single trigger model. Part #348, lever lock, is the one to work on. Shorten the top edge that rides against the back side of the opening lever, part #347.   This allows the lever lock to travel farther forward and engage deeper into the locking lugs on the barrel. 
 IMG_0254.thumb.png.c6d63649340f584ee8520073b11edb3f.png

Check this web sight https://marauder.homestead.com/cowboy.html he has great information on fixing stoegers, it sounds like your lugs don’t lock up completely, if you follow the instructions on his web site you can get your barrel release spring as light as you want and it will still work every time.

Archived