SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Shells -- Armor All or Not?

Cholla

I was told some wipe their shotgun shells down with Armor All to slip in and out easier. What say you?

I clean real dirty hulls with a plastic cleaner like Armor-All where dirt has been ground into the surface, but find general use of it on all my shells makes the loading of my shotgun a "slippery slope."

Failure to get hulls out of chambers usually cannot be fixed by applying plastic conditioner.  There's deeper problems with technique, gun or even ammo.  IMHO

good luck, GJ

Silicone on every shell just before it goes in my belt......And every shell is checked with a shell checker before it goes in the belt....NOTHING pisses me off more than a stuck shotgun shell!

Never understood the logic of putting slippery stuff where it is sure to wind up on your fingers, which you certainly don't want to be slippery.  If your empties don't come out of your shotgun, a) consider cleaning your shotgun shells before you load them, b) hone your chambers, c) consider your technique.  If you insist on adding slippery goo, put some in the chambers with a bore mop.  Keep your fingers dry.

My opinion, YMMV.

Jackalope

I wipe mine with Armor All before loading to remove dirt and dust. Have never found them to be slippery later. I also gage check them before boxing. Never had a hull stick in the chamber either! A clean hull saves wear on the loading dies and just makes sense to me.

Silicone spray works wonders!  A little bit goes along way.  Winchester AA’s are the best hulls.  Graf & sons had the low recoil #8’s 980fps instock this weekend.

Just now, Tall John said:

Silicone spray works wonders!  A little bit goes along way.  Winchester AA’s are the best hulls.  Graf & sons had the low recoil #8’s 980fps instock this weekend.

I’d argue that Remington STS hulls are far better…

As to putting stuff on the hulls, listen to @Jackalope we can all learn a lot from him. 

39 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

Never understood the logic of putting slippery stuff where it is sure to wind up on your fingers, which you certainly don't want to be slippery.  If your empties don't come out of your shotgun, a) consider cleaning your shotgun shells before you load them, b) hone your chambers, c) consider your technique.  If you insist on adding slippery goo, put some in the chambers with a bore mop.  Keep your fingers dry.

My opinion, YMMV.

Jackalope

THIS ^^^.

I go so far as to pick up a little gravel and dirt before a stage just to help ensure my hands are also

dry.    Keep them shells dry.

..........Widder

I find Remington hulls both black and green generally do not require sizing while AA's do. If using a double, I use a mop treated with G96. I'm interested in the taper crimp die by Uniquetek, but haven't purchased one yet.

I use a 16ga brush and wrap a gun cleaning wipe around it and clean my bores after each stage. Works well for me. I have tried brushes only and they dont seem to work as well for me. I shoot real BP if that makes a difference

49 minutes ago, Go West said:

I find Remington hulls both black and green generally do not require sizing while AA's do. If using a double, I use a mop treated with G96. I'm interested in the taper crimp die by Uniquetek, but haven't purchased one yet.

They are worth buying.  If your reloaded shotgun shells have a little mushrooming the die removes it.

Regarding hulls, I don't reload AAs for CAS but do reload them for clay shooting.  I just reload Remington hulls for CAS, Gun Clubs for local matches and STS or Nitros for major matches.

12 hours ago, Cholla said:

I was told some wipe their shotgun shells down with Armor All to slip in and out easier. What say you?

Good stuff per Sly puppy she does them just before shooting at range. Plus gauges them all again.

I have found that running them dry works best for me.  I have tried Armor All, Balistol, Silicone, and car wax with no improvement in how the shells shuck.  Keep the dirt off the shells and the chambers clean and maybe work on your technique a little and skip the hassle of coating the shells.  I found that most coatings make the shells slippery in my fingers and harder to load, and also attract dirt.  Neither improved my times.

12 minutes ago, Wild Eagle said:

I have found that running them dry works best for me.  I have tried Armor All, Balistol, Silicone, and car wax with no improvement in how the shells shuck.  Keep the dirt off the shells and the chambers clean and maybe work on your technique a little and skip the hassle of coating the shells.  I found that most coatings make the shells slippery in my fingers and harder to load, and also attract dirt.  Neither improved my times.

YEP, that is the secret.............. work on your technique and practice.

..........Widder

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I dip them in Mobil1

Try it...works great. You'll have sub-3 sec 4 shot SG strings in no time.

Phantom

Maple Syrup works good I hear….

6 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Maple Syrup works good I hear….

Actually it does. However, applying after the Mobil1 works even better.

Thanks for reminding me about the Maple Syrup trick.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Rancho Roy said:

Surprisingly, Spray Silicone on your fingers is not slippery....At least not on my old machinist fingers! I tried Amorall and it was slippery.

Check mine next time we meet! They don't feel slippery to me at all. Just a tad shiny and clean! I also do nothing to my chambers except clean them when I clean the gun once a year unless I shoot black or in the rain.

Ribbed hulls are .010 smaller diameter than smooth hulls.  Need I say more

I've been using Break Free CLP for years.  I wipe them down before boxing.  Shiny and clean.  

I used to use Remington Gun Clubs.  Plenty in the throw away bucket to scavenge and seemed to shuck pretty well.  This spring I ran across some Federal Metro Field.  They have a high brass base.  Maybe Larson is right, but I have not had a failure to shuck since I started using them.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Chancy

There was a previous thread a while back about the cart mounted shell sizers and like items. Someone posted that if your shotshell loader is properly adjusted, you don't need sizers. I am a recent believer/convert to that. I recently got my MEC 9000 back from MEC after a complete rebuild. I bought it used several years ago used. It made decent shotshells but since the rebuild it makes darn near perfect shotshells.I will say that 98% slip in and out of the shell checker and I've not had one  stick in my SxS yet. Make them right and you don't need them lubed.

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I dip them in Mobil1

Phantom

Thanks for sharing my secret for speed....... ;)

Hells Comin:  Mobil 1 in 0-20 synthetic.   You'll thank me later..... :D

..........Widder

One other thing that I do that seems to help is that I store my shotgun shells in a cheap web type bandoleer with the elastic straps.  I don't use it on the stages, just use it to keep the shells on my gun cart.  I have found that the elastic straps keep the shells from expanding and they keep their shape better.  I always check the shells before I reload my shotgun belt between stages and I almost never have to resize them.  Bandoleer cost me about $12 on Amazon.  May be worth a try.

22 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I dip them in Mobil1

Phantom

What weight do you use ? I use 10w40 in the summer shoots but drop down to 5w-20 in the winter :)

I bought a used MEC Sizemaster years ago. I reload AA only and some fat  ones so I sent the sizemaster to MEC for a rebuild.

When I got it back, a couple weeks later, it has made the reloads perfectly. If I get one out of 25 with a mushroom tip, I stick it in a 3/4 deep socket I keep in the gun cart and twist it a couple times and it's ready to go. So, no lube for me and they shuck out easily.

Coyote Kid

Archived