SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 Rifle screws

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

I am unable to remove the left side plate from a new rifle.  I hate to ruin the screw but have strongly considered adding don't care attitude and using a pipe wrench on my screwdriver.  I only want to bevel the inside of the loading gate to avoid cutting my digits.  Anyone else had such disappointment?  Or such pain in the saddle?  HELP!!!!!!

Uberti has a guy named Luigi the gorilla that tighten all their screws. Get a small impact driver that takes gunsmith bits. Get all the screws loose. You may want to get replacement screws from VTI that are hardened. (The Uberti screws are soft and gall easily)

Hand held 1/4" impact driver. 

See this recent thread:

Same as Uberti rifles have been made since they started.   Soft screws set with high torque to avoid having screws back out by folks who never want to clean their guns.

good luck, GJ

Brownells has an impact driver. If you get the kit…it comes with some gunsmith bits. Works good. I know. The last 73 I got had the tightest screws of any of the ones I have 

Once the OEM screws have been properly removed from Uberti rifles, so long as proper fitting screwdrivers are used, there is no "need" for hardened screws.  Excessive torque is NOT yer friend.  Blue LocTite is.

Kroil oil and a good Screwdriver. 

Some times you might need to shock the Screwdriver with a rubber mallet to bust the screw loose. 

Rooster 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 10:02 PM, Hoss said:

Uberti has a guy named Luigi the gorilla that tighten all their screws. Get a small impact driver that takes gunsmith bits. Get all the screws loose. You may want to get replacement screws from VTI that are hardened. (The Uberti screws are soft and gall easily)

Got them out with the impact driver.  Now I am loosening everything in the house.

2 minutes ago, Fargo Bill, SASS #4942 said:

Got them out with the impact driver.  Now I am loosening everything in the house.

Yes, I know what you mean! Glad it worked out. 

Archived