SASS Wire Forum

Antelope Hunting

Just returned from a successful southern Colorado antelope hunt. The buck was a real nice, heavy mass 16" buck. The odd thing was he had a arrow broadhead buried in his right horn. Archery season closed a couple of weeks ago and the broadhead looks recent. The archery hunter must have taken a pretty poor shot. It is an oddity and lots of talk around here how it happened.

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_9726.JPG

Great trophy!

It's fun to speculate on the arrow's placement.  Maybe if the buck was face on to the archer, and reacted to the string by ducking his head downward, the antler might have blocked a frontal shot.  I've never hunted pronghorns, don't know if they react that way or not.

In any case, you have earned the right to put something unusual on your wall!!  Well done!

Don't bother shooting at a herd of running pronghorns. Years ago, I lead the leader by about two animal lengths, using a .30-06-150 at about 300 yds. Kicked up dust behind the last of six critters! Another time, I was riding in an Air Force truck when I saw a pronghorn running along side of us. He accelerated ahead of us, went across the road in front of us, dropped to his knees and skidded under the bottom wire of a bobwar fence.  I glanced at the speedometer (my assistant team chief was driving). The needle was pointing at 55 mph! :blink:

I have taken between 40 & 45 antelope over the years.....none running. Maybe a couple walking, but standing broadside is the way to go!

Broadside and not moving has worked for.me.

:-)

Archived