SASS Wire Forum

The "joys" of being retired

Alpo

You have a lot more time, but then you also have a lot less money.

But the really annoying thing is you lose track of time.

Not just the hours - the days.

I glanced over the desk a little bit ago, and saw an official envelope from the state and realized that my carry permit expired in October. And it seemed like it was real early in October.

Yeah. It expired on the 3rd.

That's not a serious problem - I have up to 180 days after it expires to renew it without having to go through all the nonsense again. But it does cost an additional $15.

Ah well, such is life.

On the plus side, I combed my hair, trimmed my mustache, put on a clean shirt and stood up against a blank white wall. Selfie time. Last time I think I paid $25 to get my picture took. So I guess I saved 10 bucks even though I was late.

My dad is working on his 30th year of retirement right now. And by working I mean he's trying to figure out what brand of coffee to drink this morning. I hope to be so lucky.

Old farmers never seem to really retire.  Retirement age just means signing up for Social Security and Medicare.  We're about like that. We have the farm to maintain.  Mowing,  cutting firewood, fixing road - always stuff needs to be done.  Getting less able to do the heavy stuff.  

I retired early as I truly believed that if I stayed at work I wouldn’t have made it to full retirement benefits at 67. 
I don’t have as much money as I would like but I am happy. My wife is happy. That’s all that really counts. 

We went into a little debt this week so I could have my morning coffee with this view:

IMG_2614.thumb.jpeg.3d78f2cd3c6a7ca1f2bffe85c0fa4a55.jpeg
Niagara Falls on the Canada side. 
First true vacation we have taken in years. 

You should have gotten a letter advising you the the CCW was going to expire in three months along with the renewal form and instructions.  Mine expires in December and I just sent them a check.  Had to pay Walgreens $18.18 for the picture.  Now, if you are a AAA member they will take your pic for free.

I got the letter. Back around the tail end of June I think. But July 1st we no longer need a permit to carry. So I sat and I pondered for a while whether I should renew or not - only reason for renewing would be to carry in states that accept my permit. But I pretty much only go to Georgia and Alabama. And they also have permitless carry. Just not sure whether that extends to everybody in the state, or just residents. And I thought about it, and I thought about it, and then I put the letter aside to think of it some more and ---- forgot about it till last night.

Oops.

Pat Riot, my wife and I made Niagara from the Canadian side some years ago.

Very glad we did.

Well done.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I got the letter. Back around the tail end of June I think. But July 1st we no longer need a permit to carry. So I sat and I pondered for a while whether I should renew or not - only reason for renewing would be to carry in states that accept my permit. But I pretty much only go to Georgia and Alabama. And they also have permitless carry. Just not sure whether that extends to everybody in the state, or just residents. And I thought about it, and I thought about it, and then I put the letter aside to think of it some more and ---- forgot about it till last night.

Oops.

CCW permit in SD which has Constitutional carry .
  Permit itself  now costs zero.

I could upgrade to a enhanced CCW which does nothing more really expect I have to pay extra for a class for a "expert" to explain basics to me, when my training far exceeds the instructor . We have no military clause as a substitute .

A basic CCW does what I like it to do, It is a auto good to go on the NICS 4473  no delay, fill it out, show card and  head home.

Just renewed mine 90 days prior and good for 4 years .

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I got the letter. Back around the tail end of June I think. But July 1st we no longer need a permit to carry. So I sat and I pondered for a while whether I should renew or not - only reason for renewing would be to carry in states that accept my permit.

Oops.

41 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

A basic CCW does what I like it to do, It is a auto good to go on the NICS 4473  no delay, fill it out, show card and  head home.

Just renewed mine 90 days prior and good for 4 years .

Arizona also has permitless carry. But If you have the permit, it gives you more latitude than not. As a for

instance, without a permit, one may not carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, such as a restaurant. With a CCW, one can. You still cannot be imbibing, but you can carry. 

While I don't see myself traveling anymore, it allows me to carry if I do. It also shows an LEO, in the event I have to shoot some miscreant that needs it, that I am a Law Abiding Citizen, and more than likely the Good Guy in the situation. Ad to that, that it does, as PowderRiverCowboy said, make adding to the family easier, it's worth it to me to have one.

I must be the retired exception.

I have plenty of money and can buy anything I want.
There isn't anything I want.

I don't lose track of time because I have so many entries on my calendar that I have to check it constantly.
I don't have a carry permit, but I do have to renew my driver's license and test in 2024.

I put on a clean shirt every time we go out anywhere.
I still wear a tuxedo once a month and get a regular hair cut.

My camera is on a tripod with a delay timer when I shoot myself and lodge brothers.

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Old farmers never seem to really retire.  Retirement age just means signing up for Social Security and Medicare.  We're about like that. We have the farm to maintain.  Mowing,  cutting firewood, fixing road - always stuff needs to be done.  Getting less able to do the heavy stuff.  

My daughter and new son in law will not let me do any heavy work or lifting anymore

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

It is an auto good to go on the NICS 4473  no delay, fill it out, show card and  head home.

Good point. Same here. Another thing I like in WV, there are no sales tax or fees on small arms or ammunition. If a gun is $500 that’s what I pay to walk out the door with it.

My CCW is a lifetime deal. We don't need one here but I go home to Michigan a lot and over to Ohio occasionally. Hoping to get over to Ohio more. They have the best State shoot I've ever been to. 

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

Oops.

True but if you go buy a gun and don't have the CCW you have to wait the three days before you can pick it up.  I live in the retirement capital of the universe so I rarely carry, but I like to just be able to walk into a shop and walk out with the piece.  Traveling is definitively another reason to have it.

Right now, I’m confined to my LaZBoy while my most recent foot surgery heals!

Normally, I find myself wondering how the hell I ever found time to hold down a job!!  If I’m not doing something around the house or working on some hobby/project, there’s someone saying “You’re retired so you have time to help out with…”!!

My youngest grandson got his learners’ permit earlier this week and he’s rehearsing for a high school play to be presented at the end of the month. He’s on fall break this week and he’s staying with us until Sunday.

My mom is reaching the point where she will soon have to move out of her house and, probably, move into my sister’s place or into assisted living of some kind. She’s going on ninety years old and recently has had some serious health problems that lead me/us to believe that she won’t be able to take care of herself if she gets sick again!  This has the rest of the family hopping around trying to get her taken care of and situated while she fights us every step of the way.

I keep the calendar in my head with all the appointments and meetings and events that seem endless. I keep a calendar on my phone to refer to for a backup!!

As far as permits go, my enhanced carry permit has three plus years left on it and my driver’s license is good for another two plus years!

I don’t have any car/vehicle notes and the mortgage is more than manageable.  I have twice the equity in the place as what I owe and I consider the property as money in the bank to finance something I want or need if I decide to use it.

I don’t have a lot of “disposable income” per se, but I do what I want, within reason, and I am reasonably comfortable.

i had more free time when i was working , and a lot less demands for help in doing stuff i dont want to do , ive got most everything i really need , a lot i need to get rid of but cant seem to part with , and still find something to spend on even tho i know i dont need it , 

makes me appreciate my great uncle when we visited him in the early 60s - he had a bed and night stand , he had a recliner and a flor ash tray overflowing with cigar ash , and then there was the old atwater kent radio playing the ball games , 

one coffee cup he never washed and an old percolator on the stove , the fridge was near bare save for a sixpack of beer , then there was that old black buick in the drive , he was happy , 

Archived