SASS Wire Forum

Reloading App?

Collier Kid

Do any of you use or recommend an app for reloading data?

Hopefully, I will start reloading soon and am looking for an easy and convenient way to keep track of costs, recipes, and load data/results.

I have a habit of making notes on small pieces of paper and then losing them or trying to make an Excel spreadsheet and never actually using it so I figured if there was a handy phone app, it would make life a lot easier.

Keeping details records is kinda like practicing... admirable trait in others, but, danged inconvenient for myself!  Even the ones I used to use are no longer supported, For the 50+ years I've been reloading, I've kept no records... What I loaded 50 years ago hasn't changed all that much...  Manuals have changed, been updated, some powder formulas have changed, recommended maximums have been reduced, bullets are no longer available... I just keep the most current reloading manuals around and work with that into.  I have a few pet loads for specific uses and that info is kept on the current container that ammo is in.  (Sometimes)! ;)

Spreadsheet, then develop the habit of using it.   So much easier to find old data, summarize, print labels for cartridge boxes from.

If you can't do that, then how about a spiral bound notebook by your press?  At least it won't get lost or stolen like a phone.  If you only load a few loads, that is so much faster and it won't gum up your phone with case or bullet lube from your fingers.   ;)

good luck, GJ

I use an excel spreadsheet. One page has all reloading data and quantities loaded. Lines with recipes no longer used are hidden. Then there is a separate page for each gun that gets updated with type and quantity of ammo shot each time. Plus a page with all guns and leather listed with current values to aid the executor of my estate if needed. 

I use a notebook I picked up at Shot Show a few years back.  It was from RCBS.  Not sure if it is available commercially.  

I also use a spreadsheet to keep my information.  I've entered almost every load I've seen used by shooters.  When I test/use them in my guns, I'll also take notes on the velocity and gun it was used in.

But, as @Griff kinda said, I don't necessarily always keep/update my data like I should.

image.png.4f836448b547da62fddb76f81bf7ebe8.png

image.thumb.png.031a55a5697af4c225c4f02bf5aed420.png

On 10/9/2023 at 1:04 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Spreadsheet, then develop the habit of using it.   So much easier to find old data, summarize, print labels for cartridge boxes from.

If you can't do that, then how about a spiral bound notebook by your press?  At least it won't get lost or stolen like a phone.  If you only load a few loads, that is so much faster and it won't gum up your phone with case or bullet lube from your fingers.   ;)

good luck, GJ

This

I use Google Sheets (spreadsheet) which is free and web based and I can pull up and modify the doc with my cell phone.  It also has tabs for powder, primers, bullets, brass to calculate "cost to build" and inventory my supplies.  If I see powder or primers for sale I can check my phone to see if its worth stocking up.   The spreadsheet hides "consumed" batches or inventory when I update a "Used Date" column.  

but you don't have to do all of that.  just a few columns to track your favorite recipes also works

Untitled picture.png

A notecard thumb tacked to the shelf above my reloading bench. Notes written in reloading books. Highlighted loads in reloading books. A spreadsheet sounds like a good idea in theory........... maybe too much for what I do.

I do a fair amount of "ladder tests" of a series of increasing powder charges in loads, especially for rifle ammo.  It is VERY easy to get confused over how each variation of powder weight performs, when you may take 10 different loads to the range at a time.  Spreadsheet helps keep things straight for me, especially because I can print out a worksheet of all the loads with spaces for notes and group size on each.   Loading cowboy loads - much easier since I don't accuracy test many loads intended for 7 to 10 yard shooting.  But I have gone back to old loads many times to help fellow cowboys get up to speed on "new to them" powders and bullets.

I now have a large archive of loads (and their resulting accuracy) that I can refer to, perhaps finding something that needs to be tested again from several years back that turns into a better load than I thought.   Winning loads from old matches are especially valuable.

And, in times of shortages of some powders and primers, it's useful to have records of things that used to work, but fell out of my favorites, and will probably serve again if I need them.

good luck, GJ

I also use spread sheets, but have a binder with printouts on my loading bench as it's easier to handle, imho. I have a "log" sheet with every batch recorded that I reloaded and a sheet with only recipes I settled on. I put comments on both sheets, like purpose, how the ammo shoots etc. When I reload I write directly in the tables by hand and complement the file on the computer later. The binder contains also printouts of the SAAMI specs of the cartridges I relaod.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:16 PM, Dred Bob said:

This

I use Google Sheets (spreadsheet) which is free and web based and I can pull up and modify the doc with my cell phone.  It also has tabs for powder, primers, bullets, brass to calculate "cost to build" and inventory my supplies.  If I see powder or primers for sale I can check my phone to see if its worth stocking up.   The spreadsheet hides "consumed" batches or inventory when I update a "Used Date" column.  

but you don't have to do all of that.  just a few columns to track your favorite recipes also works

Untitled picture.png

@Dred Bob Would you be willing to share your template? I like how you have it all organized. I'm just not very good at building spreadsheets with the correct functions to compile the information the way I want it to. I'm trying to figure out and track the cost of each load, the cost of equipment, the break-even quantity, and compare it to the cost of purchasing ready-made cowboy cartridges. This is mostly for my own benefit and partly to help justify reloading equipment and component costs to my wife. lol

On 10/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

istockphoto-864149790-612x612.jpg.25dcd5986f2e8337b045a08cc8296318.jpg

This is the method I have used for 30 years and the hard drive has never crashed yet :)

Archived