SASS Wire Forum

Would you consider the cost, before doing something to save someone's life?

Alpo

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Does an epipen harm someone who does not need it?

They can. Epinephrine increases heart rate and blood pressure, among other things. That means the possibility of things like stroke, heart flutter and heart attacks and more. The one time I was given epinephrine I truly expected to look down and see my heart beating in my chest it was pumping so fast and hard. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

These posts are talking about the financial cost of the epi-pen or the $25/round ammo.

What about the physical risk when the person gives up their EPRI-pen to the stranger and doesn’t have a spare?  Dollar are nothing compared to the risk of the donor being stung while on the way to replenishing their pen.  

Thoughts?

If I had an epipen I would give it up to help someone, but me being the way I am I would have an extra one somewhere handy. 
But, I do not need an epipen as neither my wife nor I have life threatening allergies that require them, thank God. 

On 10/7/2023 at 10:07 AM, Alpo said:

Or you are out on the pier with your best girl, wearing your brand new $2,000 tailor made suit, and you see someone drowning in the bay. Would you dive in and save him without considering the cost of that silk suit you're ruining? Not even for a moment? Not even as you're going over the side (at least I should have taken the jacket off)? B)

In that instance I can truthfully say I would jump in and have done so, in Ottawa, during the Rideau River, spring run-off. My friend (and then boss) and I were walking at lunch, when a suicidal person jumped off the bridge into the water and we both had our coats and shoes off and in the water to get them.

We were successful, but we both had to go home to shower and change our suits.

Yes I carry an EpiPen because I'm seriously allergic to insect stings.  I have a back-up at home.  Yes I would certainly use it on someone else if the need arose without a second thought.  After all the years I spent in fire/emergency medical services, it's in my blood to help where needed, if I am in a position to do so.

In the case of using the EpiPen on someone else and putting myself at risk for needing it, I would ask someone else to administer the dose and I would coach from a safe distance.  I know what happens to me when I get stung and it's not pretty.  There is no point in having two victims at the same time. 

On 10/7/2023 at 9:31 AM, Alpo said:

EpiPen. I just looked them up. Brand name, $690. Generic's about half that, but that's still 350 bucks.

TV show. Horse auction, and the girl is talking to the guy outside of the barn. She asked why he was not inside at the auction and he said that apparently he was allergic to horses. She said she knew the feeling - she was allergic to bees and that's why she carried an EpiPen. About then someone walks by leading a horse, and the horse slaps the man in the face with his tail. And the man drops like a rock. The girl immediately drops down beside him and pulls her EpiPen out of her purse and jabs him in the leg and saves his life. Yay.

Another TV show. They're on an airplane, and the contract killer has put peanut dust on the pillow of his victim, and she's going into anaphylactic shock. Quick, get the EpiPen out of the first aid kit on the plane wall. Oh no! It's not there!! And a passenger reaches out his hand and says, "Here, use mine". Saved her life too. Yay again.

In a situation like that, would you consider the cost of that before you offered it?

I know we would all like to think we wouldn't. That you would immediately do what you need to do to save that poor person's life. But do you think you would think of the cost first? Even if you went ahead and did it, would you think of the cost?

Have you been drinking again.

On 10/7/2023 at 9:31 AM, Alpo said:

EpiPen. I just looked them up. Brand name, $690. Generic's about half that, but that's still 350 bucks.

TV show. Horse auction, and the girl is talking to the guy outside of the barn. She asked why he was not inside at the auction and he said that apparently he was allergic to horses. She said she knew the feeling - she was allergic to bees and that's why she carried an EpiPen. About then someone walks by leading a horse, and the horse slaps the man in the face with his tail. And the man drops like a rock. The girl immediately drops down beside him and pulls her EpiPen out of her purse and jabs him in the leg and saves his life. Yay.

Another TV show. They're on an airplane, and the contract killer has put peanut dust on the pillow of his victim, and she's going into anaphylactic shock. Quick, get the EpiPen out of the first aid kit on the plane wall. Oh no! It's not there!! And a passenger reaches out his hand and says, "Here, use mine". Saved her life too. Yay again.

In a situation like that, would you consider the cost of that before you offered it?

I know we would all like to think we wouldn't. That you would immediately do what you need to do to save that poor person's life. But do you think you would think of the cost first? Even if you went ahead and did it, would you think of the cost?

Yes I would spend $690 to save someone’s life.

I carry epipens almost daily, due to severe bee sting allergy.  They have a relatively short effective shelf life (12-18 months, minus prior store shelf life) if not properly refridgerated.  So the replacement cost is there eventually whether or not you share your supply, which I have done a number of times. 

So a more salient question is whether or not you are worried about needing it yourself after giving it away and before replenishing.  For me, that is a life or death decision and the $ cost question pales by comparison.  

Does the epipen have an expiration date or does it lose its effectiveness over time?

8 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Does the epipen have an expiration date or does it lose its effectiveness over time?

Apparently they become ineffective pretty quickly when they go past the expiration date. 

https://www.goodrx.com/epinephrine-epipen/epipen-expiration

My wife discovered my sister in law’s epipens were way past expiration by months and worked to get her new ones with her insurance. My wife’s sister has some issues and needs help with some things. She’s a sweetheart. She drowned as a kid and was dead for several minutes before being revived. She lost some of her ability to think clearly. 

11 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've known some people I wouldn't spend 69 CENTS on.

I believe life is very Sacred.  If their life choice is leading them to an eternity in Hell shouldn't we give them a second chance on an eternity with God instead?   If we are able to do so by spending a penny, 69 cents or more?

Now if you're referring to non-life threatening situations, I'll back ya 100%. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I believe life is very Sacred.  If their life choice is leading them to an eternity in Hell shouldn't we give them a second chance on an eternity with God instead?   If we are able to do so by spending a penny, 69 cents or more?

I agree, life IS sacred. I'll not take a life unless it is to SAVE a life. There are those however, that are just plain evil. I have known a few of these people, and the world would be a better place if they weren't in it.

Archived