SASS Wire Forum

1964 Vale, S.D. Minuteman Missile Accident

Sedalia Dave

Oops!

Yeah. In missile maintenance school at Chanute AFB, January to April 1966, and again at Commander's Tech Data briefing at Malmstrom AFB, we were warned NOT to use a pair of pliers or a screw driver as a fuse puller! (Among other things!)

17 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Lima -02 
image.png.cbe1b545e0123df1b8b9e29d16e76889.png

That aerial view is NOT Lima-02. Probably Lima-01, the Launch Control Facility (LCF). The long building is the "bunk house", consisting of the site security office, which controls access to the underground LCF, along with bunk rooms and a kitchen for use by maintenance personnel. Similar to the LCF's at Malmstrom AFB, Montana, and the other Minuteman bases at the time.  Don't recall seeing anything in the press...that is true. The incident was never classified, as missile maintenance team members were briefed to "use the proper tools" when I was in missile school at Chanute AFB in the first quarter of 1966.

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

That aerial view is NOT Lima-02. Probably Lima-01, the Launch Control Facility (LCF). The long building is the "bunk house", consisting of the site security office, which controls access to the underground LCF, along with bunk rooms and a kitchen for use by maintenance personnel. Similar to the LCF's at Malmstrom AFB, Montana, and the other Minuteman bases at the time.  Don't recall seeing anything in the press...that is true. The incident was never classified, as missile maintenance team members were briefed to "use the proper tools" when I was in missile school at Chanute AFB in the first quarter of 1966.

Incorrect Sir that is the current view , If you watch the end of the video Dave  posted it explains that it was decommed on 1994 and filled in and is now a Honey bee farm . Of course not that I would know but just east of said location is a Cox Family Farm   here are Coords for L-02 2.9 mi E of Vale SD, 17px-WMA_button2b.png44°36′53″N 103°20′41″W

and  Lima 1 L-01 (MAF) 6.2 mi SxSE of Vale SD; 30.6 mi NxNW of Ellsworth AFB 17px-WMA_button2b.png44°32′29″N 103°20′42″W
 Lima 1 as you can see is 6.2 miles and still has silo as they were sold off  . Little farther down the road is a Ranch that has been ranching since 1800's before We were even a state, helped work it some during High School  (I just might know the area well ) Shall I get into Igloo? :)

Of course heck My FIL only did the Cable wiring for them and had a Uncle that helped build them . Under one the dug up a dinosaur and well told dont matter National Security keep building. Around 1996 the "base housing " that was placed in small sections outside of base to allow crews to be closer to sites was sold off to civilians  for housing 

lima2.PNG

2 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Incorrect Sir that is the current view , If you watch the end of the video Dave  posted it explains that it was decommed on 1994 and filled in and is now a Honey bee farm . Of course not that I would know but just east of said location is a Cox Family Farm   here are Coords for L-02 2.9 mi E of Vale SD, 17px-WMA_button2b.png44°36′53″N 103°20′41″W

and  Lima 1 L-01 (MAF) 6.2 mi SxSE of Vale SD; 30.6 mi NxNW of Ellsworth AFB 17px-WMA_button2b.png44°32′29″N 103°20′42″W
 Lima 1 as you can see is 6.2 miles and still has silo as they were sold off  . Little farther down the road is a Ranch that has been ranching since 1800's before We were even a state, helped work it some during High School  (I just might know the area well ) Shall I get into Igloo? :)

Of course heck My FIL only did the Cable wiring for them and had a Uncle that helped build them . Under one the dug up a dinosaur and well told dont matter National Security keep building. Around 1996 the "base housing " that was placed in small sections outside of base to allow crews to be closer to sites was sold off to civilians  for housing 

lima2.PNG

OK. Sorry about that. I was thinking what I did because you couldn't see a launcher closure. Gomen kudasai!

Archived