SASS Wire Forum

Saloon posts?

Should there be a time limit when posts should expire?  I mean, there are posts from anywhere from 35 pages to 1130 pages!!!!

Come on folks, if you haven't read it and replied to it since it was posted in maybe 2018, isn't it time for it to be deleted instead of it taking up space on page 1. 

And what about "posters" who put out maybe almost 1/2 the amount of new posts on page 1 on almost any given day about nothing about our sport, which is why SASS members look at our website.  

I know a lot of SASS members who don't read the Wire Saloon because it's no one but a few posters posting nothing about our sport.  If they want to know about history other than the old west they will go to the appropriate websites.   

I thought the SASS forums were supposed to be about Cowboy Action Shooting.  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'The SASS Wire Saloon is the Social Gathering Spot to discuss topics not directly related to shooting in SASS Cowboy Action Shooting.'

Crossed in the ether with Cypress Sun.

The Saloon has more total posts in it than the Wire, though not by much.

31 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Should there be a time limit when posts should expire?  I mean, there are posts from anywhere from 35 pages to 1130 pages!!!!

Come on folks, if you haven't read it and replied to it since it was posted in maybe 2018, isn't it time for it to be deleted instead of it taking up space on page 1. 

And what about "posters" who put out maybe almost 1/2 the amount of new posts on page 1 on almost any given day about nothing about our sport, which is why SASS members look at our website.  

I know a lot of SASS members who don't read the Wire Saloon because it's no one but a few posters posting nothing about our sport.  If they want to know about history other than the old west they will go to the appropriate websites.   

Hey, Junior, the Saloon isn't supposed to be about "our sport".

53 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

You obviously have never read the descriptions for the various forums. I recommend you do that. 

If you are so concerned about the content of the Saloon I recommend you speak to a Moderator about taking a job as a Moderator and then the next time you stop by you can clean up Dodge and be a true cowboy hero. 

Tell you what, I’ll help you out and report your post so your concerns can be looked at and addressed by a Mod. Maybe they’ll offer you that job I mentioned. 

58 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

If these posters were putting out original content, that it, their own ideas, questions, or commentary, it would be different. But some of these guys are doing nothing but reposting stuff from fakebook, youtube, and the like. 

Come up with something of your OWN guys. I mean, look at Alpo. He has a question or comment several times a day, but it's all out of his mind, (which he may be). But it's original. 

There are some posts that I simply don't read when I see the poster, because I doubt that it's going to be of any interest to me. If I wanted to follow fakebook, I would.  

6 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

it's all out of his mind, (which he may be).

HEY!!! Watch it bub. :angry:

Actually I wanted a growling face, but that frowny-face was the closest they had theTO one. :P

6 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

If these posters were putting out original content, that it, their own ideas, questions, or commentary, it would be different. But some of these guys are doing nothing but reposting stuff from fakebook, youtube, and the like. 

Come up with something of your OWN guys. I mean, look at Alpo. He has a question or comment several times a day, but it's all out of his mind, (which he may be). But it's original. 

There are some posts that I simply don't read when I see the poster, because I doubt that it's going to be of any interest to me. If I wanted to follow fakebook, I would.  

Alpo has a mind?  Man, will miracles never cease?

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Actually I wanted a growling face, but that frowny-face was the closest they had theTO one. :P

Here you go. Copy and save these somewhere for later use. 

image.png.aebfa64d8861f31f7c2b0e81d231418b.png

image.png.a4362d1b6ef128060667e00db707392a.png

image.png.b34b8f3539e29cdcf91a874809a519f4.png

Saloon:  a place to go where you can visit with friends, meet new people, catch up on the news, tell jokes and entertaining tales, (sometimes they’re lies) play games, swap trivia, bitc# about work, drown you sorrows, blow off steam, and offer support or entertainment to others who go there for one, some, or all of these reasons and maybe reasons of their own.

Did I miss anything??

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If you're not just a BIT out of your mind, that means that the rest of us must be. Not Me, mind you. I KNOW that I'm not all there. :D

3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

You can add them to your Ignore Users list if there are specific posters who's content you don't want to see.

4 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I know a lot of SASS members who don't read the Wire Saloon because it's no one but a few posters posting nothing about our sport. 

Perhaps you could create your own forum where people can only post approved topics of interest to you?

Or you could buy SASS and implement your desired conditions upon posting?

But until you do one of the above...

Perhaps the simplest solution would be for you to join that "lot of SASS members" and leave us be?

i think most saloons have their new and their old , its art of the ambiance and some of us old dont mind an old post we missed coming back up - if someone found it interesting enough to bring it back it must have had a bit of value to them , ill buy a round and we can talk on it a bit - bet you bring up old topics at least a couple times in that conversation , 

9 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I know quite a few shooters that hardly ever come here to the saloon maybe you should just take their cue and ignore this saloon. You might be happier! 

8 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Often times the Youtube videos and the like serve as a jumping off point for some good conversations, particularly those of a historical nature. Yes, I can go look at historical subjects of interest on my own, and often do. I seldom get the chance anymore to discuss it in person with people with similar interests though, so this serves as a nice alternative.

8 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Problem solved.

9 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

And just exactly how does this affect you?

There must be a reason some of those mega page posts stay on page one. Maybe it's cuz lots of folks add to them!

7 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Saloon:  a place to go where you can visit with friends, meet new people, catch up on the news, tell jokes and entertaining tales, (sometimes they’re lies) play games, swap trivia, bitc# about work, drown you sorrows, blow off steam, and offer support or entertainment to others who go there for one, some, or all of these reasons and maybe reasons of their own.

Did I miss anything??

1. Prayer Requests

2. Trolling (like the OP)

I’m guilty!!  One of the threads directly mentioned is one that I am responsible for! AND there’s another one just like it that’s older and has nearly as many pages/posts!

Back when I posted those two threads, a thread would be taken down at around two hundred posts. As you might observe, the threads are numbered “XXIV” and “XXV”. There were a number of cowboys/cowgirls that participated in these and we would start another one just about the time the old one was due to be removed.

It was fun and there was a lot of humor shared amongst those who participated!  When the twenty-fourth one was nearing its expected demise,  I started the next one, (note the different subtitles on each) but during that period, the format changed and they have both survived!

ALSO!! You will notice that there are, between the two, over 70,000 replies and more than a million and a half views between the two and if you look back, you’ll find the names of hundreds of people who have contributed to these two threads!!

SOMEONE SEEMS TO BE ENJOYING THEM!!  A lot of someones, it would appear…

If they decide today that threads should be deleted after some arbitrary point, number of posts, or period of time, I imagine that those who choose to participate will resume the old practice of starting a new thread when the old one is due to be removed! There’s no problem doing that.

YA’KNOW??  I just realized!!  This is a self resolving problem!!

THE POSTS THAT DON’T HOLD INTEREST DROP OFF OF THE FRONT PAGE PRETTY SOON!!

Problem SOLVED!! :lol:

(Still! I’m betting on this one going a page or two!!)

11 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

- If a thread has 35 to 1130 pages, I'd say it's pretty popular. When it no longer holds peoples interests, it'll expire by dropping off the front page and will continue to drop until it's forgotten about.

- What does it matter who posts new threads. If no one is interested, it'll follow the same fate as above.

- I'll wager that 90% of SASS members NEVER read any part of the Forums. Ask around at the next match that you attend, you'll find out. One other thing, SASS/CAS is not a historical old west recreation. It's a shooting game/sport.

- If you are confused on the purpose of the SASS Forums, read the description at the top of the page when you choose a forum. It will provide a general description of the Forum purpose and intent.

12 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

The SASS Wire Saloon is the Social Gathering Spot to discuss topics not directly related to shooting in SASS Cowboy Action Shooting.

But it’s not the place to just post link after link that has nothing to do with much of anything and that serves only to boost the poster’s ego 

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

There must be a reason some of those mega page posts stay on page one. Maybe it's cuz lots of folks add to them!

+1000

If you don't enjoy it, don't read it.  Pretty simple.........

Yawn.

It's been years since the last time somebody came into the Saloon and  complained that the Saloon is too off topic.

The last goober that I remember that we offended referred to 'drivel'.

The 'Drivel' threads were thousand of posts long before BH would lock it to save bandwidth- and the new one was started.

That went on for several years before it just faded away.

3 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Yawn.

It's been years since the last time somebody came into the Saloon and  complained that the Saloon is too off topic.

The last goober that I remember that we offended referred to 'drivel'.

The 'Drivel' threads were thousand of posts long before BH would lock it to save bandwidth- and the new one was started.

That went on for several years before it just faded away.

I'm guessing BH would be Black Harris. I have not seen his name here in years. Does anybody know how he's doing?

Archived