SASS Wire Forum

Pre-83 Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I have a line on a pre-83 Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum.   It is my understanding these were made for only a few years, 1967 to 1970, so they are not very common.  I know it would never be a good gun for our game, and I have a couple of 92's (pre-safety Rossi and rebarreled Winchester) if I want to shoot that caliber.  But, I thought it would be a nice addition to the Winchester collection. 

Since it's pre-83, it has no stupid angle eject or ridiculous safeties.   Does anyone here have one of these things?  If so, do you find them to be decent rifles, if not very good for SASS, or are they a nightmare?

They were cataloged for one year, 1967, '68's catalog doesn't list them as available.  I had one made in 1969 according to serial #.   I purchased it in 1972 while in the Navy,... $39 left on someone else's order they declined to complete.  One of the best bargains, ever!  It was stolen in 1974 after returning home from VN.   It was great at sinking aluminum external fuel tanks dropped in the South China Sea after bombing runs.  It DID NOT like SWCs... but gobbled up 240 gr. soft points like they were free!  As long as I used a RFN it fed .44 Spls very nicely as well.   As I recall, not a nightmare, with careful selection of ammo, ran quite well.  Like other post '64s, they're not well regarded, but I found it a reliable and fun shooter.  But it kicks worse than any .30-30 carbine I've ever owned.  They weighed a little less than a .30-30 due to larger hole.   According to '67 catalog, they hold 10 in the magazine, which is my recollection as well.  The only times I ever loaded to capacity was off the side of the ship shooting at those discarded fuel tanks... The public range I went to upon my return home didn't allow you to load more than one round at a time.  

I had one many years ago .

They are beautiful rifles.

They tend to be very finicky  because of the long rifle action and the short cartridge. 

If you cycle them deliberately and much slower then SASS speeds .

They are OK at best .

I sold mine  years ago .

But I would love to find one again in nice shape. 

If you don't jump on it .

I'm interested in it myself. 

I think you should add it to your collection of keepers .

God bless.

Rooster 

My 44 mag. 94 Trapper which is an AE was made between 1982 and 1984. I started shooting matches with this rifle but being a carbine it would only hold 9 in the magazine and I had to load one on the clock. It has never had problems feeding ammo except the SWC profile. It has since been my main deer rifle. I gave $200 for mine in the late 90's

image.thumb.jpeg.3cc4cd0077bd0fc31d2917c17e73c75b.jpeg

2 hours ago, Ya Big Tree said:

My 44 mag. 94 Trapper which is an AE was made between 1982 and 1984. I started shooting matches with this rifle but being a carbine it would only hold 9 in the magazine and I had to load one on the clock. It has never had problems feeding ammo except the SWC profile. It has since been my main deer rifle. I gave $200 for mine in the late 90's

image.thumb.jpeg.3cc4cd0077bd0fc31d2917c17e73c75b.jpeg

Glad it works for you.   But that's a post 83 with angle eject.   Just not something I'd consider.  Too much of a traditionalist and a southpaw.   :lol:

7 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I had one many years ago .

They are beautiful rifles.

They tend to be very finicky  because of the long rifle action and the short cartridge. 

If you cycle them deliberately and much slower then SASS speeds .

They are OK at best .

I sold mine  years ago .

But I would love to find one again in nice shape. 

If you don't jump on it .

I'm interested in it myself. 

I think you should add it to your collection of keepers .

God bless.

Rooster 

Sent you a PM.

H.K. Uriah,, I seem to recall that the 44 Mag in a Top Eject was the smallest production run of any production carbine or rifle that Winchester ever produced, including any of the many Commemoratives..

It's a great rifle for the house/hunting, as long as you're not in a rush to run it.  I won't call it rough, but it ain't "smooth" and the lever is heavy as you know what.

Mine was gifted to me by my step-dad a couple years ago.  Too much recoil for him.  It's a safe queen for me even though the finish is really worn.

Serial number 3351xxxM.  Sorry for the bad pics, it's actually raining here.

image.thumb.jpeg.067c6971c3cd77ac36125cb284838b59.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ff478f59abefeed860498acefd0e15c4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c9fe52ac3c354a307dcd2ef0d2f4250f.jpeg

Archived