SASS Wire Forum

They picked on the wrong woman

Alpo

I never heard of this Rhonda Rousey before. But apparently she was assaulted by eight people in the movie theater. And then they (the eight people) went to the police and said how they were beat up by this girl in the movie theater.

me too - but i bet she will always be a force to be retconned with , never underestimate - it results in your failure 

Female MMA fighter and fierce. She's been around awhile.

Not one to mess with.

Was a huge up and coming mma fighter, then got knocked out in a fight.   Never the same again as a fighter and I believe she went to wwe wrestling.  Originally trained in judo and tried to make the Olympics.  Not someone to mess with, had a lot of quick mma fights.  I am sure there is video of those out there.  

She was women’s MMA world champion in her weight class.  Made a lot of money and when she lost she had the good sense to quit while she was ahead!!

1 hour ago, Still hand Bill said:

Originally trained in judo and tried to make the Olympics.

She over came a lot of adversity in her childhood.  I Have a lot of respect for people that pull themselves up and become a role model for others.

Olympic judo career

Rousey began judo with her mother at the age of 11. Rousey trained with her mother until she was 13, when she accidentally broke her mother's wrist.[46] At 17, Rousey was the youngest judoka to qualify for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. Rousey lost in her first match to eventual silver medalist Claudia Heill in the 63 kg bracket. Also that year, Rousey won a gold medal at the 2004 World Judo Juniors Championships in Budapest, Hungary.

In April 2006, she became the first female U.S. judoka in nearly 10 years to win an A-Level tournament as she went 5–0 to claim gold at the Birmingham World Cup in Great Britain. Later that year, the 19-year-old won the bronze medal at the 2006 Junior World Championships, becoming the first U.S. athlete to win two Junior World medals.[47]

In February 2007, Rousey moved up to 70 kg where she ranked as one of the top three women in the world. She won the gold medal at the 2007 Pan American Games and the silver medal at the 2007 World Judo Championships.[48]

In August 2008, Rousey competed at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China. She lost her quarterfinal to the Dutch ex-world champion Edith Bosch but qualified for a bronze medal match through the repechage bracket. Rousey defeated Annett Boehm by Yuko to win a bronze medal (Judo offers two bronze medals per weight class). With the victory, Rousey became the first American to win an Olympic medal in women's judo since its inception as an Olympic sport in 1992.[49][50]

Rousey retired from judo at 21 after the Olympics. After winning her Olympic medal

1 hour ago, Still hand Bill said:

Was a huge up and coming mma fighter, then got knocked out in a fight.   Never the same again as a fighter and I believe she went to wwe wrestling.  Originally trained in judo and tried to make the Olympics.  Not someone to mess with, had a lot of quick mma fights.  I am sure there is video of those out there.  

2008 Olympic Bronze.

She was doing so well for a while in MMA that they started saying she'd probably have to fight a man to have some competition.  They played up that angle for a while. But then she was beaten soundly by women once or twice and that ended that discussion. No doubt she's incredibly tough though!

3 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

She was doing so well for a while in MMA that they started saying she'd probably have to fight a man to have some competition.  They played up that angle for a while. But then she was beaten soundly by women once or twice and that ended that discussion. No doubt she's incredibly tough though!

Women's MMA evolved and she couldn't keep up with it.  The female fighters today are more well rounded and multifaceted as fighters.  Rousey threw punches as something to do until she could get close enough to use her judo skills.  Once she laid hand on them, it was over because she was that much better than anyone she faced as a grappler.  Holly Holm is world class boxer and kick boxer.  She kept it on their feet, at a distance and played to her strengths rather than trying to out grapple an Olympic judo medalist.

41 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Women's MMA evolved and she couldn't keep up with it.  The female fighters today are more well rounded and multifaceted as fighters.  Rousey threw punches as something to do until she could get close enough to use her judo skills.  Once she laid hand on them, it was over because she was that much better than anyone she faced as a grappler.  Holly Holm is world class boxer and kick boxer.  She kept it on their feet, at a distance and played to her strengths rather than trying to out grapple an Olympic judo medalist.

Yes. But they sure milked the angle that she'd have to fight a man to find competition for as long as they could, then bam!

43 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Yes. But they sure milked the angle that she'd have to fight a man to find competition for as long as they could, then bam!

There is ALWAYS somebody that is better / Faster than the current Champion.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There is ALWAYS somebody that is better / Faster than the current Champion.

Given enough time someone will eventually beat the champion. But sometimes for a period of time, 6 months, a year, 2 years, in their  prime, a champion can take on all comers and beat them. But it doesn't last forever. 

Archived