SASS Wire Forum

RCBS hand priming tool question

Hey guys,

So I just got an RCBS hand priming tool.  I like it a lot.  I used to use (when not loading on my Dillon 550B) a RCBS reloader special with the auto primer feed attached.  It worked pretty flawlessly.  But this hand primer seems much easier… and I am not tied to the reloading bench in the garage to do the priming.

It worked flawlessly when loading 300 lg pistol primers.  It also worked flawlessly loading 50 large rifle primers.  However, when I switched it over to small pistol primers for another 300 cartridges, I had a fair number of the primers flip on their side “in the chute” and they came out the birth canal sideways.  The first two that did that ended up smashed sideways into the brass (nothing went bang, but two pieces of brass went into the trash).  After that, I was able to feel when the primer was flipped.  So I squeezed the tool enough so I could lay the primer back down before inserting the brass and then primed it as usual.

Being this is my first hand priming tool, is this a normal issue?  Any suggestions to correct this?  I still love it, and most of what I load is using large primers, but it would be really great if the tool works as smoothly with the small primers as it does with the large primers.

image.png.695d3036b0d9865b47c832f8acff5a0a.png

It sounds like you may not have swapped over to the small primer inserts for the priming tool

SWITCHING PRIMER SIZE (Large to Small) Note: This Hand Priming Tool comes assembled for use with large primers. To switch the configuration for use with small primers, follow these steps.. The Small Primer parts are located in the Parts Bag that shipped with your product.

7 minutes ago, JP McLintock said:

Mine does that on occasion. 

So does my Dillon SDB. I don't scrap the brass though, just carefully deprimed it.

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Hey guys,

So I just got an RCBS hand priming tool.  I like it a lot.  I used to use (when not loading on my Dillon 550B) a RCBS reloader special with the auto primer feed attached.  It worked pretty flawlessly.  But this hand primer seems much easier… and I am not tied to the reloading bench in the garage to do the priming.

It worked flawlessly when loading 300 lg pistol primers.  It also worked flawlessly loading 50 large rifle primers.  However, when I switched it over to small pistol primers for another 300 cartridges, I had a fair number of the primers flip on their side “in the chute” and they came out the birth canal sideways.  The first two that did that ended up smashed sideways into the brass (nothing went bang, but two pieces of brass went into the trash).  After that, I was able to feel when the primer was flipped.  So I squeezed the tool enough so I could lay the primer back down before inserting the brass and then primed it as usual.

Being this is my first hand priming tool, is this a normal issue?  Any suggestions to correct this?  I still love it, and most of what I load is using large primers, but it would be really great if the tool works as smoothly with the small primers as it does with the large primers.

image.png.695d3036b0d9865b47c832f8acff5a0a.png

Read your instructions.

21 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Read your instructions.

Where's the fun in that?   :P

The lid over the primer tray can come loose a little and it gives more space for the primers to flip.  Keep checking to make sure it is on tight.  Also, the tray has to be fully inserted into the tool.  If it backs out just a little during use, the primers can flip as they exit the tray going into the tool.

I pretty much use the rcbs for most everything. I have one get flipped occasionally. The only thing I don't like...is that you prtty much have to use rcbs shell holders. I am now using a bench mounted rcbs priming tool. I like it a bit better...easier on the hands than squeezing the handheld. I also have a rcbs handheld with the universal jaws...piece of junk. It works alright with some cases...not at all with others. If you are trying to prime 45 colt with its small rim...it usually spits the case out before you get the primer seated. For larger cases...there is a lot of spring tension on the jaws...hard to operate

18 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

...The only thing I don't like...is that you prtty much have to use rcbs shell holders....

I use Lee shell holders on mine.

The countersink wasn't big enough on the ones I had. The rcbs countersink was bigger and deeper

The Lee shell holders I used were the same ones that come with their dies.  I also bought a set of the Lee holders that came in a 16-pack (?) which are the same holders, and all have worked fine.

3 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

gee whiz, I hadn't thought of that.  Thanks...:rolleyes:

Glad I could help.:P

I had a LEE and found the RCBS unit I later replaced it with, more comfortable to use.

I did notice I had to keep and eye on the cover of the primer tray to ensure it stayed firmly in place and the feed chute pushed well into the metal portion of the machine or I would get the occasional primer turning on it's side and entering the ram chute sideways.*

After a lot of use over the past number of years, I have notice the internal mechanism is getting a little loose but it's still going.

The odd time it happened and I had a sideways installed primer, I just de-primed the case with no problems.

If you're really worried about one going snap, give it a squirt of oil and let it sit for while before de-priming it.

ok , ive had two RCBS hand primers - the one i had that has the 'universal' case holder was junk - it gave me a lot of trouble , the one i have that uses the designated shell holder is great , but yes ive had some issues with the primers turning sideways or upside down but then ive had those issues with all the others i own as well , i have three other brands , its just a case of watching as you go and correcting before seating , i just keep a dentist tooth pick handy while doing the process , i like hand priming , 

Archived