SASS Wire Forum

This smarted - Reloading Accident

Buckshot Bear

This smarted.....belling .45ACP cases on my Lyman turret press and working really fast under a time crunch and I managed to get my finger between the case and the die....it acted like a hole punch and took the side of my finger clean off. 

That's a big hunk of meat in that photo.....if it doesn't grow back, at least I'll have a built in shell holder on the tip of that finger :) 

20230530_115433.thumb.jpg.38089b24045e1336eef49dd5964968c6.jpg

20230530_115438.thumb.jpg.e3b9c2473c1818f5d008de7628ef0da6.jpg

20230530_115444.thumb.jpg.79b0d5340c6c2f160fbe0bbb37622c8d.jpg

IMG_20230530_123325_01.thumb.jpg.0f47c20f1dcee9dc354cb36f1926b5ab.jpg

IMG_20230530_123757_01.thumb.jpg.5d06dbc109681a7e2e76ef2ca1638674.jpg

Double Ouch!

Oh mate that sucks. My dog peeled the meat off my middle finger Saturday like chicken off of a leg. Bone and knuckle look just like the pictures of a skeleton!! Gonna put a burr in our shooting mate. Did you get yours sewn back on?

Reloading rule #1:  keep organic bits out of machinery bits.  Have you got that concept down pat now?

Hope you heal well.

6 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Oh mate that sucks. My dog peeled the meat off my middle finger Saturday like chicken off of a leg. Bone and knuckle look just like the pictures of a skeleton!! Gonna put a burr in our shooting mate. Did you get yours seen back on?

Golly Eyesa that must have hurt mate, that's gonna' take some time for you to heal. 

Nope re: stitches the hunk was white and dead ....... my dog enjoyed eating it though :) 

22 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Golly Eyesa that must have hurt mate, that's gonna' take some time for you to heal. 

Nope re: stitches the hunk was white and dead ....... my dog enjoyed eating it though :) 

Rough weekend, my poor little 5 yr old nephew was messing with my SG knockdowns and one fell on his middle finger and crushed the tip.:(

28 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Yours as well! Damn mate.

Can't resist, so much for "Punching above your weight!"  Should grow back.  There was a local HS hotshot in days of my youth who snipped off the tips to two fingers with a band saw in Shop Class.  Fingers grew back as normal, though it took a bit.  Wishing you a swift recovery.

I ain't no doctor, but my guess is that you'll have some trouble sleeping because of a big THROB

for a couple days.   Take appropriate pain meds to help in the relief.

Sure hope it heals fast and well for you.   No doubt, that is a nasty cut.

..........Widder

Meh, rub a little black powder in it and you'll be fine. 

No seriously, black powder makes everything heal faster. Cure for the bat-flu says I.

Seriously (this time ), take care of that, clean it well, neosporin, and take some pain meds; ouch! Hope you heal up quickly.

I've run the decapping pin through my left index finger just above the first joint, not once, but twice. Got a lump of scar tissue bulged out on the side of my finger now. :P

I've heard of people not wanting to leave fingerprints on reloaded ammo but that's taking it to extremes don't ya think.:o

I've done stuff like that at work, but not on a reloading press (knocks on wood). That's gonna hurt even after it heals due to location and you'll have a divot for quite a while.

Hope it heals up good!

My old dad lost a fingertip. He refused to go to the Dr. Had a huge homemade bandage on it. Took forever to heal. If anybody asked what happened he would answer “there I was, at the poorhouse door, hanging onto the door jamb to keep from going in. Then Florence (my mother) got a hammer and started beating on my fingers, driving me into the poorhouse” . My mother hated when he told people that! 

I had something similar happen to the side of my thumb 9-10 years ago.  The wound scarred over and with the exception of a white spot it isn't noticeable.  Yours looks to be a bit too much to reconstitute all the skin that was cut out, but it will heal.  Luckily it wasn't more serious.  Did you get to a medic?  You might need a tetanus shot. 

How's it doin today Bear? That is a bad one in a lousy spot.

Managed to smash a finger this weekend while resizing.  Lucky the deprimer didn't deprime my finger too.  You get into a rhythm and get a little too over eager and pull that lever a bit too quickly before the shell is in place and it hurts.  Lucky I didn't catch my finger in a bloody way.

Hope that finger heals quick.  Looks like one that will be hurting for a while.  If anybody asks how it happened, tell them you were feeding your baby sharks and got a little too close to the tank.

At least it missed the bone so should heal in time. Just keep it clean and don't let it get infected. That is a big concern. Don't ask me why. 

TM

What happened to you is the exact reason I either reload in by myself without any distractions.  Hope you heal up quick!  

Have you thought of a new alias?  Like Clip Finger or 9 Finger Buckshot? :D

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Its stopped throbbing when its below my heart Eyesa, so that's a + :) 

That's is an improvement. Amazing what a pain in the ars hand wounds can be. Keeping getting better mate.

My pucker string cringed and tightened a bit looking at that!

I hope it heals up quickly for you.

ive not had an issue reloading yet but i can see how that might happen , nothing i want to happen , 

i did have something similar happen when siding my house tho - i was trying to cut part of the assembly with a sheet rock knife and cut the tip off my finger - my neighbor was the cheif surgeon at the local hospital , he stuck the end back in place and taped it up - said it will grow back on , it did , can still see it if you look close but its all good feeling and everything , gotta stick it back right away tho , clean cut will grow back - in your case i think your bgonna have a bit of a divit 

Archived