SASS Wire Forum

If you had twin kids

Alpo

Would you tell them which one is older?

In fiction, frequently, the older twin gives the younger one grief. "And this is my little brother..." "Hey baby bro, ain't seen you in a week or so". Stuff like that.

1579554631-ptc20200109hr.png.623fe45f592581aa79ed600dc5d2211a.png

I don't know if they do that in real life. In my 60-odd years I can recall knowing four sets of twins. Two approximately my age when I was in school and two that were coworker's children. So not a lot of twin experience.

Would you name them similar names?

One book I was reading the girls were named Elizabeth and Elisabeth - Liz and Betty. They were dating Arthur and Robert - Art and Bart (they explained that their parents had tried not to do the cutesy twin thing, but "Bert" had morphed into "Bart" over the years).

Another one - in the hospital room the father is asking the mother, "Are you sure about this? They're going to hate you forever," and then he told the nurse that the girls' names were Holly and Molly.

And the fraternals in the comic up there are Aaron and Sharon.

I went to school with a Dave and a Doug, and a Donna and a Debra. And I used to work with a Donald who insisted he had a brother named Ronald. I never met this hypothetical twin brother, but Donnie insisted that he existed.

Jean and Joan, two of the nicest girls in my high school.  Fraternal twins of high intelligence and loving nature toward everyone and every thing, but with totally different personalities.

I've known several other sets of twins (and a set of triplets), but none were particularly memorable.

My great nieces are twins, Alexandra and Danielle. Alex and Danni as we call them. Danni is maybe 15 minutes older. and she calls Alex her “baby sister “ :lol:

I've known several sets of twins throughout the years. All of them knew which one was older and the younger of the two always detested being the younger. All of them were identical twins.

Although they never spoke about it me, I got the feeling that none of them liked having sound alike names, being dressed alike or being forced to participate in the same activities.

Don and Ron (pretty much alike with the same personality)

Brad and Brett (completely different personalities. Brad was WAY OCD and Brett was a slob)

Cindy and Mindy (beautiful blondes, I don't know about their personality)

Brenda and Glenda (Glenda hated the Wizard of Oz)

I have known a few sets of identical twins over the years, even dated one.   Some embraced the sameness, dressing the same with minor changes, ie one wore a white left shoe, the other wore it on the right.  Drove teachers crazy.  Others the personality gave it away which was which.  One was quite nice, the other was bitchy.  As a kid easy to tell them apart.  
others would dress different and try to be different.  In the end all had a bond that doesn’t exist with regular siblings.  

We had several pairs of twins. Juanita and Bonita were twin sisters. Completely different in most every way, except for their flaming red hair!

Ronald and Donald, almost indistinguishable in appearance and demeanor until about tenth grade when Ronald decided to get a different haircut.

There was a pair of twin girls, underclass by about three years, whose names I don’t recall. They were absolutely identical and played it to the hilt!  I’m sure that their parents could tell them apart, but their own siblings would have to study them for a spell before differentiating them. One of their brothers told me that they practiced speech and movements all the time!!  A little freaky, but they were otherwise fun and outgoing and they were drop dead gorgeous!

Used to play sports with Dan & Don.  Not identical, Don had broken his nose and it wasn't set well, he cultivated a scruffy look and was thinner.  He was the "Nasty" brother, but in fact had a heart of gold.  His better looking twin, the "nice" brother, always well groomed, soft spoken and polite, was a classic backstabber.  Both good athletes and intelligent.  Books and covers!

My identical twin aunts both played basketball.  Bonnie and Connie.  Bonnie was the better of the two, but was very aggressive on the court.  She would typically foul out by half time, and her and Connie would swap jerseys, and Bonnie would finish the game.

Twins seem to run in my father's family, but there have been a couple of generations now without a set. 

My father was a twin, the younger by 7 minutes.  Born on a scrubby ranch in northern New Mexico in 1916.  Grandma was midwifed by her daughter, May.  Uncle Ray (dad was Roy) enjoyed telling folks at family reunions that when he was born he said, "May, somebody is following me!".  They had fun being twins, operating their own real estate and insurance agency together after serving in WW 2.

I've got twin nephews Cole and Griffin (fraternal) who recently turned 20.

My DIL Nikki, is also a twin. Her parents waited until she, and her sister were 18, before telling them who was older.  Probably a good thing, as they were heading off to different universities shortly thereafter.

I knew a guy who was a twin, but I never knew the other half. Claimed to be identical until some one asked if they had trouble with folks mixing them up.  He grinned and said, "Yeah, we did until we were about fifteen or so and I started to grow a beard and Louise began to grow boobs." :lol:

I have a set of boy girl twins...They are 38 now...The girl lives in Ibiza and boy lives local...She has two kids, son needs to get married...No kids that he is talking about...

Texas Lizard

Side note...One of the mothers who helped in the classroom....It was 4 months before she knew they were twins...I guess we did a good job letting them grow there own way...

Our Mom liked dressing us the same. Ugh. 

He’s older by two minutes. 

I like to tell him he may be first born but he got none of the first born traits.  ;-)

Durch

6FD12994-0C70-4F3D-BE35-A0D015F40070.jpeg

The twins that I went to school with, seem to go out of their way to not be identical. One girl had hair down to the bottom of her shoulder blades and the other was at the top of her shoulder, so there was like a two to three inch difference in hair length. One of them wore glasses, so I assume the other one wore contacts, since it seems unlikely that only one identical twin would be nearsighted.

The boys were, I believe, mirror twins. One was left-handed and one was right-handed, and they parted their hair on different sides.

One girl was a trumpet and the other was a flute, one boy was a trumpet and the other was a sax. And aside from game day when everybody was wearing the same dumb red outfit, I don't recall ever seeing them dressed alike.

2 hours ago, Dutch Coroner said:

Our Mom liked dressing us the same. Ugh. 

He’s older by two minutes. 

I like to tell him he may be first born but he got none of the first born traits.  ;-)

Durch

6FD12994-0C70-4F3D-BE35-A0D015F40070.jpeg

Like being able to spell your own alias? :P

I had a neighbor that rented the house next door. Nice enough person, said he had a twin sister that lived there with him. He lived there for two years. I never saw the two of them together. I'd see one or the other...but never both at once. I had my suspicions that he might be a transvestite but wasn't sure...until one day...

I was up on the roof inspecting for storm damage after a hurricane passed nearby and could see into his backyard. He came out onto his back deck with women's underwear on and a bra on backwards to grab something off of his deck and went back inside. He obviously didn't have a twin, that was his back story in case anyone saw him outside, dressed as a woman.

I never did say anything to him about it nor did he advertise it. He moved out a few months later when his lease ran out. When the next people moved in, I wished he/she was back living there as the new tenants were absolutely terrible neighbors.

i have twin aunts [that i knew - i had two but the others died before i was born] there is a dominate one but they are very connected , i had twin cousins , they were so different youd never have thought they were related 

Archived