SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Else Watch The Indy 500?

Cypress Sun

It is unfortunate the SASS Saloon has deteriorated to the point if one had a differing opinion to Blackwater, Cypress Sun and others of "right thinking ilk" one will be "dog piled" for being so crass as to express disagreement.  Sad, really.

It's well known, the Chrome doesn't rust, it's the ferrous metals that rust, but when one elects to poke ones finger in someones eye, it's ignored it's just a common saying.  Not a scientific factoid.

And just to be specific, I, at no time took issue with the drivers, their courage, skill nor physical conditioning.  A shame the saloon has become the forum of so many little people.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

It is unfortunate the SASS Saloon has deteriorated to the point if one had a differing opinion to Blackwater, Cypress Sun and others of "right thinking ilk" one will be "dog piled" for being so crass as to express disagreement.  Sad, really.

It's well known, the Chrome doesn't rust, it's the ferrous metals that rust, but when one elects to poke ones finger in someones eye, it's ignored it's just a common saying.  Not a scientific factoid.

And just to be specific, I, at no time took issue with the drivers, their courage, skill nor physical conditioning.  A shame the saloon has become the forum of so many little people.

Always the aggrieved victim aren't you.

You watch 500 miles of a (according to you) boring race, express your displeasure with the race on here, get disagreement with your assessment of the race and because people disagree with your assessment...you're the hapless victim of prejudice due to an anti-Colorado Coffinmaker conspiracy among the small minded Saloon denizens.

Get real.

:unsure:

i watched it - well not all of it - but what i could while i worked at the gunclub today , we were busy , my thoughts were .......

it seemed to go well , took a long time to get started with all the talking heads and 

the pomp was quite nice , fitting for the occasion , i didnt hear the singing , i was slightly surprised the flag went to full staff with the tapps being played in memory of the fallen , 

did it seem there were more wrecks in the pit than normal ? seemed that more happened there than on the track to me , 

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

the pomp was quite nice , fitting for the occasion , i didnt hear the singing , i was slightly surprised the flag went to full staff with the tapps being played in memory of the fallen , 

I know the flag should be at half staff until noon on Memorial Day.

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

did it seem there were more wrecks in the pit than normal ? seemed that more happened there than on the track to me , 

It did seem to me that there were a lot of incidents in the pit.  The race itself was pretty clean until the last 15 laps or so - THREE red flags!

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Previously,

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

What a crock.  E85 for fuel, tiny little engines, copycat chassis, 500 miles of left turns.  More interesting to watch the Chrome Rust inna parking lot.  Same can be said for Formula One these days.  If it wasn't for Formula One road type courses, it would be dead as well.  If it haven't been for the last eight laps, it would have been a total YAWN.

I'm just going to throw this out there. Perhaps if, in stating a "differing opinion" you chose not to be insulting toward something those who had previously responded were clearly positive about, you wouldn't get such negative responses. I'm not sure what or whom you mean by "right thinking ilk" as I am pretty sure I have differed with Blackwater on issues in the past, although I can't rightly say I have with Cypress Sun. In fact, since I've been here, I've had a few go-rounds.

As for "dog piling" if Cypress Sun and Blackwater responding constitutes a dog pile, then I am somewhat nonplussed as to what to suggest. To clarify, in discussing drivers, I wasn't referencing your post at all, but elaborating on how amazing these drivers actually are.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

I always enjoy the race. Yeah it's not the innovative 60's but have you looked closely at one of these cars? Its all about the aero!

For me the end of the race was like NASCAR has become. Lets all run around for 180 laps and then lets get serious. The result is crash after crash.

Whine list

Both the Black lady singing God Bless America and Jewel went way beyond trying to make the song "theirs"! Just sing it and lets us make it our own.

And I just wish the networks would stop thinking that we really want to hear from looser Danica, and Mr. popular, who never won a championship, Earnhardt. Every time Danica try's to make a comment on some technical or race issue she sounds more moronic than ever.

I’ll agree with the statement on the singers!  I wish that the promoters would get them under control by making it plain that their improvisations are NOT welcome! The young lady who performed the National Anthem for today’s World 600 nearly brought me to tears with her clean, clear, and obviously heartfelt rendition!!

The racing was pretty good with lead changes and strategies all over the map.

I can take or leave Danica Patrick. She DOES know racing and has won an IndyCar race, (something that a very few people can or will ever do) and performed well in some NASCAR events, including qualifying on the pole in a couple of races and leading the Daytona 500 on her own effort, not some quirk in scoring or pit stops.

Little Earnhart missed winning a NASCAR Championship because of a non racing penalty assessed by NASCAR.  That was when the points really meant something, before all of this “bonus points”,  “playoff points”, and “Race For The Chase” garbage, (my own opinion, of course) was instituted to keep one or two drivers or teams from dominating a season. He also won the Daytona 500 and Taladega multiple times, a Daytona 24 Hour race and multiple, what is now, XFINITY Championships! Say what you will, he IS a champion!! Since his retirement, he has continued promoting NASCAR and was extremely instrumental in the revival of the North Wilkesboro track, a TOTAL success, and is doing much the same for other venues, not the least of which is the Nashville Faitgrounds Speedway. That track is the twin sister to Bristol and has a huge and rich history in NASCAR.

I would much prefer to listen to either of them as opposed to that loudmouted British commentator who practically loses his mind every time someone spins a tire or passes a slower car!! He becomes nearly incoherent for the least little thing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don’t mind them stating that opinion. I also don’t mind countering with my own opinion and I’m more than willing to back my opinion up with facts!  I DO take exception to derogatory statements made about a kind or class of racing, ANY kind or class of racing, and more so, the drivers and crews who make the races happen!

It Was a good race!! The 600, which is going on right now is looking like a good one too!  Lead changes and strategies, some MONSTER pit stops, and plenty of action all make for great entertainment!

Thank you Blackwater for your honest and inciteful opinion.  If anyone doesn't like a particular kind of auto racing, or just auto racing, that's fine.  Go to another post that appeals to you and say something.  Many SASS members I know do not read the different SASS Wire Forums because they are tired of a lot of the negative and nasty posts some members make.   

I still don't understand why non SASS members are allowed to start or reply to posts.  I can understand them reading posts if they are thinking about joining SASS, but until they have payed their dues and joined SASS they should be allowed to only read posts.    

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I know the flag should be at half staff until noon on Memorial Day.

i thought so - but everyone at the gunclub looked at me as if i was loosing my faculties , im old but it was my memory that it was an occasion to resect the dead - those that gave their lives , those that served and are serving too , but mostly those in the cemeteries , i respected that myself but accepted the oppinions of those that came out this weekend - lots of good stories and memories with the vets i sat and chatted with tho ,  

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

It did seem to me that there were a lot of incidents in the pit.  The race itself was pretty clean until the last 15 laps or so - THREE red flags!

good - im not crazy , i couldnt believe some of the pit accidents i saw , it almost seemed like that was the center of all the turmoil - no one seemed to be looking where they were going and a lot of equipment got destroyed for any good reason , like no one was directing or looking or even cared what happened - took a couple out of the race , 

if it were me - id be pissed to loose the race in the pits , but then it will never be me , it did make those pit stops exciting and unpredictable 

Maybe it's just me, but I just listened again to Jewel's rendition of the Stars Spangled Banner at the Indy 500 and thought it was very nice.

One thing she forget was, at the Indy 500, the last line of the Stars Spangled Banner is........ "GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES!!!!" 

39 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I chuckle when race fans insist that drivers are athletes. The only athletes are the pit crews. In 5-10 years race cars will be driven remotely. 

I take it you have never driven a race car.  It’s much more physical than you think, heart rates are commonly in the 170 range during nascar races.  Also really hot.    

28 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I chuckle when race fans insist that drivers are athletes. The only athletes are the pit crews. In 5-10 years race cars will be driven remotely. 

You OBVIOUSLY have never driven a race car competitively!!  While some drivers may not be fast runners, (some are! SOME run marathons!) or high jumpers, (many true athletes can’t do either of these well either) or perhaps lift weights, most of what you consider to be “athletes” have neither the coordination or stamina to drive a race car. MANY of what you’d consider “athletes” have tried and VERY VERY FEW have been successful!!

Perhaps you’re correct about the future of auto racing.  At that point you may become more right, but it will be a sad day.

Michael Jordan tried once to drive a race car. He failed miserably, but he now owns and sponsors a NASCAR team. Reggie Jackson was mildly successful at NHRA Sportsman drag racing, setting a National Record in his class a time or two and Dan Pastorini, a former NFL quarterback actually campaigned a Top Fuel dragster for a couple of seasons, winning one event.

You go ask ANY professional athlete that has tried auto racing if those drivers are athletes!!  They will set you straight in a heartbeat!!

im going to chime in and agree the drivers are athletes - you can think they are just sitting and on cruse but that is so far from the truth you cannot imagine , they are athletes , try it - you will see what im talking about 

https://www.insidescience.org/video/race-car-drivers-are-definitely-athletes

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/are-nascar-drivers-really-athletes.html

Pulling 4 Gs while traveling 100 yards per second takes strength, skill, stamina, and training.

I guess the only shooting sports that are sports and the participants are athletes are biathlon and 3-Gun.

On 5/28/2023 at 12:32 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

A bit of who cares. I have on my desk one of the bricks from the original track. When they worked on the track they saved the bricks. When they built Ontario Motor speedway they used bricks for the winners circle. Tore it down and the bricks went to the City of Ontario. When I designed the Ontario Convention Center we re-used the bricks for a fountain. They gave me one.

Nelsonville brick!
Used to live near Nelsonville, worked in its hospital and on squad that area.
My aunt's sidewalk was laid of Nelsonville bricks (they said "Nelsonville Block") but the village tore it up for a water line, replaced it with poured concrete and the bricks are long since donated to some anonymous dump.

Grr!

On 5/29/2023 at 8:06 PM, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I still don't understand why non SASS members are allowed to start or reply to posts.  I can understand them reading posts if they are thinking about joining SASS, but until they have payed their dues and joined SASS they should be allowed to only read posts.    

Doing so would actually eliminate a couple of long time members of the forum who have contributed some good and insightful content. In fact, I was posting long before I actually became a member.  Often times it is members being disagreeable, not non-SASS members or Guests.

This thread is more entertaining than the actual race:lol: , just kidding I watch  it  here and there and of course the highlights. 

5 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Nelsonville brick!
Used to live near Nelsonville, worked in its hospital and on squad that area.
My aunt's sidewalk was laid of Nelsonville bricks (they said "Nelsonville Block") but the village tore it up for a water line, replaced it with poured concrete and the bricks are long since donated to some anonymous dump.

Grr!

The original Indy track was built entirely out of brick...all 2.5 miles of it, that's the reason it was nicknamed "The Brickyard". When they decided to pave it, they only left a 3' wide section at the Start/Finish line, hence the name for it is "The Yard of Bricks". The winner of the race, the entire race team and owner kiss the Yard of Bricks.

Irish Ike is pretty lucky to have an original brick from the track. I'd love to have an original. I imagine that they are still for sale but there are probably a bunch of fakes also.

Most of the race car driver are athletes that train, exercise, eat right and stay in shape. There's no way that I could do what they do these days, well maybe for a few laps...with no one on the track but me, but that's it. The G's and (especially) the heat would get to me real quick. 

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Irish Ike is pretty lucky to have an original brick from the track. I'd love to have an original. I imagine that they are still for sale but there are probably a bunch of fakes also.

The original Ontario Motor speedway winners circle was paved with Indy bricks. someone had the foresight to save them when they tore down the track. The City of Ontario stored them form years until I suggested we use them as the paving around the fountain. The fountain is a story for another day.

On 5/29/2023 at 7:06 PM, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

If anyone doesn't like a particular kind of auto racing, or just auto racing, that's fine.  Go to another post that appeals to you and say something....

Never cared for auto racing. But that doesn't preclude me from picking on you reprobates. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Never cared for auto racing. But that doesn't preclude me from picking on you reprobates. :lol:

Okay, maybe you'll like this,

Do you know why there wasn't a Bud Light sponsored car in the race?

Tranny problems.

13 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

My grandfather was a bootlegger back in the day (among other things).  When they made booze legal he took his stable of fast cars and started racing NASCAR, on dirt.  He did OK until an accident took him out of the game permanently and he had to have others race his cars.  He would tell you that being in shape is pretty important if you want to race.

I've always wanted to take my car out on one of those tracks and see what it feels like hitting those turns at high speed.

Wait, you all got to watch the race?!!! Being born, raised, and still living in Indianapolis, the Indy 500 (except for the 100th running) is always blacked out in our area. The claim is that it isn't sold out, so we should be able to go. However, they have never stated what a sellout number is. We get to watch a replay of the race on Sunday evening (it used to replay on Monday evening). Maybe someday the population base of the city/region that promotes the race will be able to watch it live like the rest of the world.

46 minutes ago, Raton Rick said:

Wait, you all got to watch the race?!!! Being born, raised, and still living in Indianapolis, the Indy 500 (except for the 100th running) is always blacked out in our area. The claim is that it isn't sold out, so we should be able to go. However, they have never stated what a sellout number is. We get to watch a replay of the race on Sunday evening (it used to replay on Monday evening). Maybe someday the population base of the city/region that promotes the race will be able to watch it live like the rest of the world.

Ummm...

You do know that it is 2023 and the internet exists, right?

TV "blackouts" of events are very easy to work around - online streams, YouTube, Tik Tok, TV services that give you access to network TV from other markets.

Android boxes and smart TVs have a myriad of available methods to watch shows not available in your area - VPN services can "change" your computers IP location and give you access to shows and events not available in your city, state, country or hemisphere.  There is no reason to miss any event if you just put in a little effort to locate it.

4 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The interview with the lady who's car was hit by the tire was great. They showed her kissing the finish line and she was OK with what happened.

I liked the fact she said she was grateful nobody was injured and that her car “took one for the team.”

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I've always wanted to take my car out on one of those tracks and see what it feels like hitting those turns at high speed.

I’ve mentioned before here that I was part of RJ Reynolds/WINSTON’s original efforts to put on infield shows at NASCAR events.

Schoolmarm and I got to travel to numerous NASCAR events and I even performed on the infield stage.  We sometimes traveled on the bus with the band, but often, I drove our personal vehicle or a van to haul other members of the band and crew back and forth from hotels to the tracks.

If I had a separate vehicle, the track issued personal credentials as well as a pass for the vehicle. I often had vehicle passes to places that I couldn’t go on foot! 

At Taledega, Watkins Glen, and Pocono, I got passes that allowed the vehicle on the track when there was no sanctioned activity, (races, qualifying, parades, or spectator events) so I got to make laps in Schoolmarm’s Camaro at Pocono and Taladega and we raced golf carts and mules, (ATVs used for transportation around the infield) at Watkins Glen!

A stock vehicle is pretty iffy in the turns on a super speedway! If it’ll go fast enough on the straightaways, it’ll probably slide badly in the turns unless it’s one of the more well equipped high performance models. Axle bearings, spindles, and suspension pieces on your daily driver aren’t made for repeated laps.

Schoolmarm’s Camaro was NOT one of those high performance vehicles! It DID have high performance tires and wheels, but it didn’t run more than about 108 mph flat out and was pretty boring on those 2.5 mile tracks!

I do wish that I’d driven it to Watkins Glen, but it might be better that I didn’t! :ph34r: :lol:

Archived