SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Else Watch The Indy 500?

Cypress Sun

Been watching it ever since I was a little kid. Back then, you only got snippets and a few highlights of the race. I was fascinated with the cars, the speed and the danger. As time went along, I would always make it a point to watch the Indy 500, no matter where I was at the time.

As I think about today's race, I think about the one from 50 years ago...a lot of changes for the good since then. The "rubber" fuel cell and the driver compartment improvements among many others.

Although I don't much of the pre-race hype, I'll be watching again today. 

What about ya'll

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Somebody smack Jewel and tell her to sit down. 

Amen!  First two words and I knew she was going to filet it like an apprentice fishmonger the first day on the job.  My wife commented, "Chicky,you aren't doing a cover of it. Just sing it."

A bit of who cares. I have on my desk one of the bricks from the original track. When they worked on the track they saved the bricks. When they built Ontario Motor speedway they used bricks for the winners circle. Tore it down and the bricks went to the City of Ontario. When I designed the Ontario Convention Center we re-used the bricks for a fountain. They gave me one.

For sure!  ^_^

Been watching since before they started running it on the Sunday before Memorial Day (observed). 

The skill and technology is absolutely amazing... and afterward, I've given in to the strong urge to dash out for a drive in my Spitfire or TR-4 or Fiat 124 Spider (x2) or now the Miata....  'Tis the kid in me!   ^_^

I watch it most of the time or I record it and zip through the commercials.

I kinda’ lost some interest in the Indianapolis 500 when they started restricting the cars to formula chassis and limited engines.  

They can do what they want with “Indycar”, but the 500 was always an open engineering competition!! I miss the unique concepts that traditionally showed up at Indy!!

AND YES!!  It’s the National Anthem!!  IT IS NOT AN AD LIB SHOWCASE FOR A TOTAL LACK OF TALENT!!

I generally ignore the commercials, but the Shell commercial is totally disingenuous!  The Indy 500 has been run on ALCOHOL for at least seven decades!! Their advertisements are a total joke!!  There’s NO advancement in “Green Technology” involved!

WHAT A CROCK!!

Watched, at the Daytona Track but I find I can "see" more watching it on TV.

My son, Big Red ran the track at Daytona in 2022, with Steven and "Paco"

Made the magazine cover as well!

Ian Stephen Love and Paco driving the Daytona 500 Track (1).jpg

22 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I generally ignore the commercials, but the Shell commercial is totally disingenuous!  The Indy 500 has been run on ALCOHOL for at least seven decades!! Their advertisements are a total joke!!  There’s NO advancement in “Green Technology” involved!

WHAT A CROCK!!

Actually, switched from pure methanol to E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) in '07.  They took the gasoline back out this year, and it's a mix of ethanol and other "bio-fuels."  Dunno what that might be... lard, perhaps?  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Somebody smack Jewel and tell her to sit down. 

Watched about 3 seconds of that. Had a great display for the US Military and then...that.

Terrible.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Actually, switched from pure methanol to E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline) in '07.  They took the gasoline back out this year, and it's a mix of ethanol and other "bio-fuels."  Dunno what that might be... lard, perhaps?  :rolleyes:

Like I said! Definitely not any kind of advancements. A step backward and now they spin their crap to make like they’ve done something!

There were a couple of years that at least one team ran ethanol instead.  Wasn’t really successful and was quickly abandoned.

Most Sundays before Memorial Day I would be at the Ohio State Match. Unfortunately, not this year. I didn't even think about it until seeing this thread. It has been a long time since I've enjoyed watching. Oh, well.

As far as how long I have watched the race, I recall back when Memorial Day was on a set date and school was out on that day. Then they started having school on Memorial Day and we’d watch the race in class. Then came the Monday holiday crap and after that, schools began letting out for the summer before Memorial Day rolls around.

I can’t remember WHEN I wasn’t able to watch it!

And cautions breed cautions!

What a crock.  E85 for fuel, tiny little engines, copycat chassis, 500 miles of left turns.  More interesting to watch the Chrome Rust inna parking lot.  Same can be said for Formula One these days.  If it wasn't for Formula One road type courses, it would be dead as well.  If it haven't been for the last eight laps, it would have been a total YAWN.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

What a crock.  E85 for fuel, tiny little engines, copycat chassis, 500 miles of left turns.  More interesting to watch the Chrome Rust inna parking lot.  Same can be said for Formula One these days.  If it wasn't for Formula One road type courses, it would be dead as well.  If it haven't been for the last eight laps, it would have been a total YAWN.

For the last 112 years (except during WWI and WWII when Indy wasn't run), the Indy 500 has ALWAYS been four left hand turns. Please make a note of it.

As far as the race goes...what, you weren't close to a parking lot to go for amusement?

Most people who make light of such races would never have the cajones to do what those drivers do!!

Many drivers from other types of racing have attempted to compete here and failed miserably!

Many who excelled here have gone other places and proved that they are more than capable of competing and winning!

A.J. Foyt won at Le Mans! Mario Andretti won a Formula 1 championship! Parnelli Jones won multiple Off Road World Championships!! All of the above have dominated in other forms of auto racing.

That so few from other regimens are successful in oval racing indicates that it ain’t anywhere close to as easy as some seem to think!!

I politely suggest that those of you who don’t like it go find a parking lot, try to find some chrome, and proceed to watch it rust!!  

(Chrome actually doesn’t rust. The ferrous metals under it are what rusts.)

And congratulations to local boy, Josef Newgarden, on a great race and his first Indy 500 victory!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Most people who make light of such races would never have the cajones to do what those drivers do!!

Many drivers from other types of racing have attempted to compete here and failed miserably!

Many who excelled here have gone other places and proved that they are more than capable of competing and winning!

A.J. Foyt won at Le Mans! Mario Andretti won a Formula 1 championship! Parnelli Jones won multiple Off Road World Championships!! All of the above have dominated in other forms of auto racing.

That so few from other regimens are successful in oval racing indicates that it ain’t anywhere close to as easy as some seem to think!!

I politely suggest that those of you who don’t like it go find a parking lot, try to find some chrome, and proceed to watch it rust!!  

(Chrome actually doesn’t rust. The ferrous metals under it are what rusts.)

And congratulations to local boy, Josef Newgarden, on a great race and his first Indy 500 victory!

It goes beyond cojones. Drivers at the Indy Car and Formula 1 level have reflexes, visual acuity, mental and physical stamina that the vast majority of us can only imagine. The cojones just top it off.

Was a teenager and went to the Indy 500 in 1961 with a bunch of friends and parents.  A.J.Foyt won the race.  But watching Jack Brabham in a rear engine Cooper T54 Climax run full throttle in the turns and pass everybody, but couldn't keep up with the Offy's in the straight away, was watching the beginning of the change to rear engine Indy cars.  Being there once in a lifetime for the "spectacle" was one of those great moments in life. 

Archived