SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Mk IV

Well, I'll be dipped in snuff!  The Ruger Mk IV is now california legal!  :o

How on Earth did THAT ever come about???  :huh:

https://ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/specSheets/40183.html

:lol:  :lol:  :P  :D

I want one... although I will admit to being perfectly happy with my 1983 vintage Mk II.  ^_^

Mark II

image.jpeg.cf91d78bb6b8ef3232a0bf27d80bb880.jpeg

Mark IV

1.jpg

Up until this news, heard it yesterday, Ruger had refused to submit semiautos for testing except for that weird .380 compact. The LC380?

I heard the Mk 4 was now legal because of some court decision, but I don’t know that for sure. It’s what I read somewhere else. 

Hopefully some of our California haters will step in and tell us all how much they hate California for the 153rd time and enlighten everyone on all their vast and superior knowledge of California and how everyone that lives there is a Commie leftist pinko fag. Hell even the gun owners and those that love the Constitution there are evil and stupid, right? image.png.9d6f869b727109eb8b4f6ee8a53bffc4.png

Too much?…I figured I would get this in before someone’s frilly little panties got in a bunch and they’d have to prove their manhood by grumping about and acting all macho and he-manly…image.png.c9a57f02635de123abd37f33d657d74a.png

Hopefully some of our California haters will step in and tell us all how much they hate California for the 153rd time and enlighten everyone on all their vast and superior knowledge of California and how everyone that lives there is a Commie leftist pinko fag. Hell even th

I think you missed a few, I have it as 172.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Up until this news, heard it yesterday, Ruger had refused to submit semiautos for testing except for that weird .380 compact. The LC380?

Hey, now... I have one o' them "weird .380 compact LC380's!"  :lol:

It's okay.  Not as exciting as a lot of other guns, but heck... it works.

When I bought it... lessee... ten years ago?  I'd set out to buy a concelable pistol, and it was literally about the only one I could find!  We were experiencing a severe pistol drought in these parts.  I'd seen a stainless PPK in a store, went back the next day to buy it and dang, the shelves were bare - except for this one lonesome LC380.  

Wasn't what I really wanted, but it was available.  Heck... we weren't allowed pocket-sized the Ruger LCP .380, and not even the LC9 - the 9mm version of the LC380.  Interesting - not allowed the 9mm version, but we can buy an LC380 and then the 9mm conversion kit for a mere $320.  https://shopruger.com/LC9-Conversion-Kit-for-LC380-Pistol/productinfo/90499/

Which reminds me!  When the Mark II .22 was released, they were scarce as hen's teeth.  I literally spent months trying to find one, and frequently checked with gun shops from Bakersfield to Redding, and from the coast east to Sacramento and beyond.  No joy.

Then one day I went into the now long gone Tri-Cities Sporting Goods in Fremont to buy a bicycle.  And, as was my custom, detoured through the gun department.  As I was passing by, I saw the sales dude just placing a pistol into the glass case and immediately hit the brakes.

"Hey!  Is that a Mark II?" I asked.

"Why, yes it is!" he replied, with the pistol still in his hand.

"I'LL TAKE IT!"

"Damn!" the fella said.  "I usually at least get to set 'em down first!"   :o

So that day I bought a Univega bicycle and a Ruger Mk II pistol.  ^_^

(although I wouldn't get to take the Ruger home for a couple of weeks)

I bought one of those Ruger Mark IV about 10 years ago.  I was cruising through the local gun store, minding my own business, when I saw the Mark IV listed for $249.00.  I thought that was a pretty decent price and bought it.   We get to take our guns home the same day.   I still take it out occasionally and shoot it.  Fun pistol to shoot but kind of a pain to reload.  Only holds the politically correct 10 rounds.

Never, ever take it apart if you don't have the owner's manual handy.

7 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Never, ever take it apart if you don't have the owner's manual handy.

The Mk IV is a breeze to take apart for cleaning. Push one button and the upper comes right off. Reassembly is is also easy. 

The Mk 1, 2, and 3 on the other hand can be next to impossible to reassemble. There used to be a guy at Ruger whose full time job was reassembling pistols that people sent back in a box because they couldn't get them back together.

I have the 22/45 variant of the Mk IV and love it.

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Oh, I should have rephrased that. It’s not so much that I think the gun is weird as it is that Ruger picked that particular gun to be the one they kept on the CA roster. 

Here’s the odd part. I never saw one in any gun store I frequented. 

6 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 I heard it was Boland v Bonta last March.  Basically said the microstamping requirement is unconstitutional because it is not technically possibly.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/handgun/mark-iv-40183

That was it. Boland vs Bonta. Thank you. 
I guess the mag disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator are still required as are the silly costly testing for each model to pass their “safety tests”. 

———————————————

I went and looked at the CA Roster and only one model of each the Mk IV snd SR22 are listed. Still, I am happy to see they’re on there. 

I started looking to see if there were other manufacturer’s guns listed but the website got screwy like it always did and I quit looking. 

33 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Pat,

does this mean you'll be moving back to California?

;)

..........Widder

Did you hear that? 

That was me yelling “HELL NO!” towards Tennessee. :lol:

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around my wife’s request to go there for Christmas. 

Boland V Bonta did away with Loaded Chamber Indicator and Magazine Disconnect requirements as well.

I’m glad cause gun control failing in other states, makes it less likely to gain traction here.

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I think you missed a few, I have it as 172.

I think Pat was talking about this month so far.

1 hour ago, WOLFY said:

Boland V Bonta did away with Loaded Chamber Indicator and Magazine Disconnect requirements as well.

I’m glad cause gun control failing in other states, makes it less likely to gain traction here.

But the wethers (thanks for that word, Hardpan) and capons in the Sacramento Reichstag will dig in and fight harder against our constitutionally protected civil rights.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I heard the Mk 4 was now legal because of some court decision, but I don’t know that for sure. It’s what I read somewhere else. 

Hopefully some of our California haters will step in and tell us all how much they hate California for the 153rd time and enlighten everyone on all their vast and superior knowledge of California and how everyone that lives there is a Commie leftist pinko fag. Hell even the gun owners and those that love the Constitution there are evil and stupid, right? image.png.9d6f869b727109eb8b4f6ee8a53bffc4.png

Too much?…I figured I would get this in before someone’s frilly little panties got in a bunch and they’d have to prove their manhood by grumping about and acting all macho and he-manly…image.png.c9a57f02635de123abd37f33d657d74a.png

And yet YOU don't live there any more!  :) Do we?

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And yet YOU don't live there any more!  :) Do we?

No you don’t. ;)

Just get sick of hearing so-called “Pards” berating other Pards as if their the enemy or something. 

A stainless Ruger Mark IV Target with a suppressor is my latest grail/fantasy/goal/Christmas list entry.  Pretty extravagant for a range toy, but I've shot one and WOW!

22 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

The SR-22 just became California legal as well!  I was surprised to see it as I had heard Ruger wasn’t going to pay for any testing for California. 

good to see some new guns becoming available for us. 

Give 1, take away 2...Is what they would like to do....

Texas Lizard

Yes I live here....

On 5/27/2023 at 11:30 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

It's okay.  Not as exciting as a lot of other guns, but heck... it works.

When I bought it... lessee... ten years ago?  I'd set out to buy a concelable pistol, and it was literally about the only one I could find!  We were experiencing a severe pistol drought in these parts.  I'd seen a stainless PPK in a store, went back the next day to buy it and dang, the shelves were bare - except for this one lonesome LC380.  

Wasn't what I really wanted, but it was available.  Heck... we weren't allowed pocket-sized the Ruger LCP .380, and not even the LC9 - the 9mm version of the LC380.  Interesting - not allowed the 9mm version, but we can buy an LC380 and then the 9mm conversion kit for a mere $320.  https://shopruger.com/LC9-Conversion-Kit-for-LC380-Pistol/productinfo/90499/

Which reminds me!  When the Mark II .22 was released, they were scarce as hen's teeth.  I literally spent months trying to find one, and frequently checked with gun shops from Bakersfield to Redding, and from the coast east to Sacramento and beyond.  No joy.

Then one day I went into the now long gone Tri-Cities Sporting Goods in Fremont to buy a bicycle.  And, as was my custom, detoured through the gun department.  As I was passing by, I saw the sales dude just placing a pistol into the glass case and immediately hit the brakes.

"Hey!  Is that a Mark II?" I asked.

"Why, yes it is!" he replied, with the pistol still in his hand.

"I'LL TAKE IT!"

"Damn!" the fella said.  "I usually at least get to set 'em down first!"   :o

So that day I bought a Univega bicycle and a Ruger Mk II pistol.  ^_^

(although I wouldn't get to take the Ruger home for a couple of weeks)

I bought a S&W model 66 w/4" barrel there in 1998.  It was about a year later that the hoplophobes on the city council passed a tax on gross receipts on stores selling guns.  Tri-Cities firearm sales was only a small part of their gross so they removed their firearms dept.  Oakland soon followed with the same tax so Siegels a family owned sporting goods store that sold firearms closed the business.  SF did the same thing however the SF Gun Exchange in the financial district closed not because the tax but the landlord raised the lease by an astronomical amount.  Bought a Bushnell Holosight & a H&K USP40 there. 

I guess unlike before Bruen the majority of the 9th Circus judges or the AG have seen the handwriting on the wall & like the IL AG or DC district attorney when the respective circuit courts declared their concealed carry may issue or ban unconstitutional.  The AG's in the other may issue states convinced them to not appeal to SCOTUS so they could continue to enforce their may issue laws.  Their tactic has worked for many years.  Bruen has shorted the time that such delaying tactic will work.

12 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

I bought a S&W model 66 w/4" barrel there in 1998.  It was about a year later that the hoplophobes on the city council passed a tax on gross receipts on stores selling guns.  Tri-Cities firearm sales was only a small part of their gross so they removed their firearms dept.  Oakland soon followed with the same tax so Siegels a family owned sporting goods store that sold firearms closed the business.  SF did the same thing however the SF Gun Exchange in the financial district closed not because the tax but the landlord raised the lease by an astronomical amount.  Bought a Bushnell Holosight & a H&K USP40 there. 

I LOVED the old SFGE.  Practically haunted the place; for a period of several years I worked at Market and Van Ness and made many a lunchtime pilgrimage to the shop.  Bought my Stevens 5100 from Nate Posner when I was 18 or 19, and eventually ended up on a "first name basis" with Bob and his sister and most of the staff....

It was a sad day indeed when they shut down.  :(

On 5/28/2023 at 8:07 AM, WOLFY said:

Actually no they didn't.  Those requirements are still in litigation.

6 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I LOVED the old SFGE.  Practically haunted the place; for a period of several years I worked at Market and Van Ness and made many a lunchtime pilgrimage to the shop.  Bought my Stevens 5100 from Nate Posner when I was 18 or 19, and eventually ended up on a "first name basis" with Bob and his sister and most of the staff....

It was a sad day indeed when they shut down.  :(

I didn't know the family.  My gun collector coworker would drop in frequently when he took me along for technical support when calling on PE firms & the SF Water Utilities Engineering Bureau.  This started in the 90's when he became a "sales engineer" for my employer.  He escaped CA last year when he retired to southern CO.  The 1st thing he bought was a CA banned 9mm assault pistol. 

5 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

So Bonta appealed the district court judge's injunction?  And the 9th Circuits didn't stay the injunction like the mag limit case?  It would be nice to not have my daughter & son not asking for off roster handguns for birthdays & Christmas.

6 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

So Bonta appealed the district court judge's injunction?  And the 9th Circuits didn't stay the injunction like the mag limit case?  It would be nice to not have my daughter & son not asking for off roster handguns for birthdays & Christmas.

The State appealed the injunction without the microstamping requirement so the injunction was stayed.  I believe it is going to the 3-judge panel of the 9th Circuit now to keep the mag disconnect and safety as well as the drop test.  The State will keep this tied up for years.

On 5/28/2023 at 7:31 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

The Mk IV is a breeze to take apart for cleaning. Push one button and the upper comes right off. Reassembly is is also easy. 

The Mk 1, 2, and 3 on the other hand can be next to impossible to reassemble. There used to be a guy at Ruger whose full time job was reassembling pistols that people sent back in a box because they couldn't get them back together.

I have the 22/45 variant of the Mk IV and love it.

I recall pushing out the wrong pin and a bunch of tiny parts fell out. Dad had to take it to a gunsmith buddy to get it back together. 

dont know how it happened but im happy for yall that you can have them , legally now , never made sense that you couldnt to me , 

im a fan of the mkI & mkII as well , but i like vintage 22s , its mostly all i have ,  

17 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I recall pushing out the wrong pin and a bunch of tiny parts fell out. Dad had to take it to a gunsmith buddy to get it back together. 

There is an easy fix for the reassembly PITA.  It is called HSS Hammer Strut Support that is $20.  The website is https://www.hammerstrutsupport.com/

It fills in the space behind the lower cross pin so that the hammer strut won't go behind it.  Well worth the $20 plus shipping.

On 5/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

my bad - i thought some of the newly rostered handguns didn’t have all the fearures.

thanks for clarification, J Jim

I picked up the MkIV Tactical a few months ago and mated it with the Silencerco Switchback suppressor. What an absolute blast this is to shoot. I have an older MkII but it's so nice I don't want to beat it up and I wanted something for 22LR Steel challenge matches. This fit the bill perfectly. I hooked it up with the Swampfox Justice RDS and if you haven't tried the Swampfox it's been very good. It has a huge window and is great for picking up the next target.  My only complaint is that there are umpteen different mag base plates for the MK series and they are not interchangeable. 

JEL

MkIV (2).jpg

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I have a Mark I.  When do you suppose those were made?

Ruger's first semiautomatic .22 was called the Standard model, introduced in 1949.  The Mark I,  the target model, was introduced in 1950 and continued until the Mark II was introduced in 1982.

Above from a Wiki article, which provides a good summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Standard

My Mark I was made in 1973 and still shoots just dandy!

Archived