SASS Wire Forum

Midlife Crisis

Alpo

How long do you need to know somebody, before you can bust their chops about their midlife crisis?

Guy moved in down the street. Two, maybe 3 years ago. He's gray headed, but his wife looks like she's in her early forties and he's got a kid in high school, so I figure he isn't really that old. Had to pick up truck and a SUV.

Last week he added a bright red Corvette to the automobile fleet.

And I think - midlife crisis - but I'm not said anything to him about it. Don't know if I've known him long enough to give him that kind of grief. :lol:

Personally, I’m tired of hearing the “midlife crisis” crap. I’m seventy years old. I have a custom Harley Davidon motorcycle, a 1928 Ford, (that’s how it’s titled) rat rod, a loud, raucous, hopped up dually pickup, and I’m working on a custom 1927 Model T coupe/hotrod and a 1960 Jeep 4WD cab-over flatbed pickup!

I have, and will again if the opportunity presents itself, owned several Corvettes and other high performance vehicles.  I’ve owned stuff like this my whole life, so when someone, especially someone who doesn’t know me, makes the “midlife crisis” remark, I generally let ‘em have a heaping dose of my opinion of their opinion!!

Some folks go their entire life without being able to afford and enjoy “big boy toys” or other nice things. Those who work and save to have them deserve a modicum of respect for having done so!!

GOOD FOR HIM!!!

Given that men's average life is about 78 years shouldn't he have that crisis at approximately 39 years old?

20 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Personally, I’m tired of hearing the “midlife crisis” crap. I’m seventy years old. I have a custom Harley Davidon motorcycle, a 1928 Ford, (that’s how it’s titled) rat rod, a loud, raucous, hopped up dually pickup, and I’m working on a custom 1927 Model T coupe/hotrod and a 1960 Jeep 4WD cab-over flatbed pickup!

I have, and will again if the opportunity presents itself, owned several Corvettes and other high performance vehicles.  I’ve owned stuff like this my whole life, so when someone, especially someone who doesn’t know me, makes the “midlife crisis” remark, I generally let ‘em have a heaping dose of my opinion of their opinion!!

Some folks go their entire life without being able to afford and enjoy “big boy toys” or other nice things. Those who work and save to have them deserve a modicum of respect for having done so!!

GOOD FOR HIM!!!

I agree 100%

Alpo, my comments are not directed at you but they are regarding this concept of “mid life crisis” BS.

I think the term “mid life crisis” has nothing to do with the person who is supposed to be perceived as having some sort of crisis. As if buying oneself a car, motorcycle, hot rod, plane, a new fun hobby is a “crisis”. I think has everything to do with judgement or jealousy against a person who has something others think is frivolous or gaudy or perhaps something that is not appropriate for their age. 

I recall comments made towards me in this very forum 17 years ago when I bought a new car and a new boat within a short period of time guys were commenting on my “mid life crisis”. I even got a PM from someone that said I shouldn’t be such a show off. My response to that knucklehead was two words. The first word began with an “F”. The second word was “Off”. Said knucklehead hasn’t been around here for quite awhile. 

Recently some of my own family members told me I need to act my age and get off the motorcycle and sell my convertible and that my “mid life crisis” has gone on long enough. 
My response to them was quite colorful and insulting. I meant it to be. 

I grew up poor. Everything I have ever owned I earned. I enjoy my life. It’s not my fault if others can’t enjoy theirs. They can sure as hell mind their words and their own business in my regard. I only plan to act like I am dead when I am dead. Not before.

33 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Maybe he just "grey'd" early .........

......... I was growing grey hairs back when I was 21 ........   :blush:

That's because you are at the bottom of the world  ready to drop off...I would worry too..

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

GOOD FOR HIM!!!

I'm 81 and never had time for a midlife crisis.  My wonderful wife let me get whatever I wanted the whole time she was alive and as long as we could afford it.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I agree 100%

Alpo, my comments are not directed at you but they are regarding this concept of “mid life crisis” BS.

I think the term “mid life crisis” has nothing to do with the person who is supposed to be perceived as having some sort of crisis. As if buying oneself a car, motorcycle, hot rod, plane, a new fun hobby is a “crisis”. I think has everything to do with judgement or jealousy against a person who has something others think is frivolous or gaudy or perhaps something that is not appropriate for their age. 

I recall comments made towards me in this very forum 17 years ago when I bought a new car and a new boat within a short period of time guys were commenting on my “mid life crisis”. I even got a PM from someone that said I shouldn’t be such a show off. My response to that knucklehead was two words. The first word began with an “F”. The second word was “Off”. Said knucklehead hasn’t been around here for quite awhile. 

Recently some of my own family members told me I need to act my age and get off the motorcycle and sell my convertible and that my “mid life crisis” has gone on long enough. 
My response to them was quite colorful and insulting. I meant it to be. 

I grew up poor. Everything I have ever owned I earned. I enjoy my life. It’s not my fault if others can’t enjoy theirs. They can sure as hell mind their words and their own business in my regard. I only plan to act like I am dead when I am dead. Not before.

Act your age?  I have always acted my age.  Someone once said to me that "when you reach a certain age...".  I stopped him and told him "a certain age" is totally meaningless.  Everyone is at a "certain age" every day.

People who start focussing on an  age end up like my sister: she's been a little old lady since she was five and I never recall her just having fun. 

No set length of time.

Corvettes are expensive,  insuring a Corvette is expensive.  Most fiscally responsible people need to reach midlife to be able to buy one.  It wasn't long ago that the average buyer of a new Corvette was 62.

This one's not new. I don't know what year it is, but it's got antique plates on it, which means it's at least 25 years old.

To try to answer the actual question posted, if you haven't known him long enough to tease about other things, it's probably not a good place to start. Basically, if you have to ask...

On more than several occasions, someone has asked Schoolmarm what it was like dealing with me in my second childhood.

She generally looks at them like they’re looney!  Then she explains to them that I never completed my first childhood!

maybe he bought it for the daughter ? 

im grey headed - OK white , i never had a midlife crisis so i cant say what that might be , maybe ive got that to look forward to right about the end of life experience ? im not even sure what mid-life s these days but i suspect im well beyond it at this point , the premise escapes me save for the fact that folks get ti thepoint in their life when they have raised their kids who are gone , they have money they didnt have when young and they decide its time to treat themselves to a small[or large] excess before they are too old to enjoy it , i can relate to that , although i have no extravagance im interested in , im happy - its all that matters anymore 

A new Corvette:   $100,000 and up.

A new Dodge TRex:  around $100,000

Ford Raptor:  about the same

Some of the new Mustangs and Dodge Challengers and Demons:  EXPENSIVE.

These toys are often things we all work for most of our lives, and then when we retire..... we go get em.

Midlife Crisis?   Where is the 'crisis'.    A feller that can have a young wife, SUV and a pickup truck..... and THEN

go get a Corvette don't sound like he's in much of a crisis.

Now if tomorrow some bank agents show up at his house and confiscate all those things because he has

defaulted..... THEN he'll be in a crisis.

:lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

On more than several occasions, someone has asked Schoolmarm what it was like dealing with me in my second childhood.

She generally looks at them like they’re looney!  Then she explains to them that I never completed my first childhood!

That sounds familiar. :D

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

This one's not new. I don't know what year it is, but it's got antique plates on it, which means it's at least 25 years old.

A used Corvette is completely different.  A ten year old v6 minivan has as much horsepower as Corvettes from the early 90s.  The Corvette could be their economy car.  An aerodynamic 3,300# car with double overdrive can get about 30mpg, better than a pickup or SUV for fuel economy.

My money - my stuff.

Crisis or not - it is exactly NOBODIES business what I own, why I own it or how much it cost me.

And personally, I have been driving Corvettes since I was 16; owned my first that came out of my money at 20.

Owned Corvettes, Porsches, Jaguar, Mustangs, Camaros - coupes, t-tops, targas and convertibles.

Owned Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, Harley Davidsons, BMW and Can Am.

And my lovely wife of going on three years is nine years younger than me.

What others would call a "Mid Life Crisis"; I guess I just consider business as usual.

And yes; I have full intentions of buying a new mid engine C8 Corvette Hard Top Convertible within the next year.

I have seen too many friends and family leave this mortal coil with regrets and "I wish" for the things they failed to do, places they failed to visit and things they failed to own.

Regrets are sad enough - but regrets for a life not lived because "it cost too much", "what would the neighbors say?" or "theres always tomorrow" are the saddest ending to a life that there could be.

54 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The Corvette could be their economy car.  An aerodynamic 3,300# car with double overdrive can get about 30mpg, better than a pickup or SUV for fuel economy.

My Corvette at 80mph gets 27 miles per gallon.  Set the cruise and let it idle down the highway at 1500 rpm.

Admittedly it has a "bit" less interior room than my Ford Flex - but the Flex struggles to do better than 22 at the same speed.

And my Nissan Frontier pickup truck runs a solid 16mpg no matter what.

My Spyder gets 40mpg but hard to carry a guncart on it.

5 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Regrets are sad enough - but regrets for a life not lived because "it cost too much", "what would the neighbors say?" or "theres always tomorrow" are the saddest ending to a life that there could be.

Indeed. 

Regret & Resentment - Two emotions that truly eat a person up. 

8 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

No set length of time.

Corvettes are expensive... Most fiscally responsible people need to reach midlife to be able to buy one.  It wasn't long ago that the average buyer of a new Corvette was 62.

Kind of like primers. :D

MIDLIFE CRISIS?

Heck! Since coming here I'm now in my second childhood!

Playing cowboy!

Playing with my friend HERBIE!

Cowboys 001 (183).JPG

IANs Herbie 009 (6).JPG

I'm just imagining the look on the traffic cops face.

Pulls over a guy wearing a big hat, a neckerchief, a vest, pants tucked into boots, high heeled boots, spurs, and leather cuffs. Driving Herbie the Love Bug.

7 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

My money - my stuff.

Crisis or not - it is exactly NOBODIES business what I own, why I own it or how much it cost me.

And personally, I have been driving Corvettes since I was 16; owned my first that came out of my money at 20.

Owned Corvettes, Porsches, Jaguar, Mustangs, Camaros - coupes, t-tops, targas and convertibles.

Owned Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, Harley Davidsons, BMW and Can Am.

And my lovely wife of going on three years is nine years younger than me.

What others would call a "Mid Life Crisis"; I guess I just consider business as usual.

And yes; I have full intentions of buying a new mid engine C8 Corvette Hard Top Convertible within the next year.

I have seen too many friends and family leave this mortal coil with regrets and "I wish" for the things they failed to do, places they failed to visit and things they failed to own.

I have some regrets, but mighty few, and I don't dwell on them.  I also don't hold many grudges, but I never forget.

Those things take too much energy and storage space in my brain.

The tattoo artist asked me “If you don’t mind me asking, why did you wait so long to get these tattoos?”

I said “I have wanted them for years, but worked in a job that they frowned on body art, but only if you’re white. Which is why I got the anchor a few years back. Just to irk ‘em.”

Soon the name of my ship, the date, the longitude and latitude of where I became a Shellback will be done just below my sea turtle. 

IMG_5819.thumb.jpeg.58dceb353b1b9f612cb6eb80b9e66174.jpegIMG_5818.thumb.jpeg.9e2cf996259f3adecc3be05f17aa3380.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Wouldn't you only need the longitude? Because I'm pretty sure the latitude would have to be 0°.

Yes, but I want the 0° 

13 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, but I want the 0° 

That's cold of you!

Re: "crisis." It depends on why he bought it.  Finally found and could afford the car he had wanted is different than "OHMYGAWD! Here I am and I've never done anything in my life except what was expected!   I need to do something crazy and unexpected for once!". Might be buying a car, a plane, a yacht, a 19 year old bombshell, something way outside the ordinary for him.  Something that makes friends and family say, "What the heck is Clyde thinking?"

The most I'd say to the guy is, "Nice car."

In general I have found folks that LIVED life at a younger age don't have a mid life crisis. Hit 50 with a milque toast life and realize you only have so many years left....

On the other hand if you turn 50 with a boatload of good stories you generally just keep having adventures

When I was a kid, living in Fort Myers, Fl., the word crisis had another meaning. Cuban Missile Crisis.

I remember hearing the term "midlife crisis" when my parents pulled up to a gas station (had to do a u-turn to go to the gas war winner and Green Stamps) and a Corvette pulled up in front of us. I thought it was the coolest car that I'd ever seen anywhere in the world...the little world that was mine. Don't know why I remember that but there it is.

I asked my step-father , who was young at the time, "Why don't we have one of those?" He replied, Only middle aged people having a mid-life crisis could afford those.

I get accused of midlife crisis.. I’ve worked hard, saved a lot, and to be honest, at 48 years old and after 36 years of working, I’m burned out. I am currently  looking to scale back my business, looking ifor a decent used crew cab truck and decent used pontoon boat to take the kids out on. When people hear someone that has worked hard, saved and made certain retirement was fully funded, never really indulged in things, what do you think I hear?

But hey, they have their choices like I have mine. Cars trucks motorcycles planes luxury items clothes watches adrenaline going fast, none of that stuff ever held my interest or got a rise out of me. 

I do like traveling, particularly to places I feel I can disappear.

its usually not until middle or retirement age most folks accumulate disposable income. It’s a testament to hard work and success if anything.

Archived