SASS Wire Forum

Where do you get your stuff (leather, brass, etc)

Cool Name TBD

Hey everybody, 

I'm so new to this it hurts, trying to cobble together stuff so I can shoot.  So far I've picked up 2 Vaqueros in .357, and a belt and holsters.   I'm in need of a shotgun belt but not sure where to look.  Need one for beer belly, like 48-50 is my waist size.

I can borrow rifle and shotgun,  and have reloading stuff (except dies), so the only thing stopping me is the shotgun belt.  The belt and holsters I have were donated so not sure where they came from.

I will tell you those Vaqueros are pretty dang awesome.   Glad I listened to your advice, had people here and locally that recommended them.  I was able to pick up a pair of old model Vaqueros in stainless and they are TANKS.  Zero recoil, already loving them.

Thanks in advance for any advice 20230525_094716.thumb.jpg.e76fde5e95154f957a04039a9afe82ac.jpg

Go to a local sporting goods store and get one of the web belts that people use for hunting.

Then, when you go to a match, look around at what your locals are using.  May even find someone with a used belt for sale.

Just now, Chief Rick said:

Go to a local sporting goods store and get one of the web belts that people use for hunting.

Then, when you go to a match, look around at what your locals are using.  May even find someone with a used belt for sale.

Are those ok to use?  I have a gun belt but its not leather.  Used it for CCW for years so should work fine, just thought had to be leather (it's a lot to get your head around when new)  

Use what you have for now.  It may prevent you from shooting in some specific costume categories but I know we wouldn't look down on you for using what you have, as long as it's safe.

As with every other thing in CAS, I highly recommend you go to matches and try as many different things as possible before you buy anything else.

As said, some shooting categories require specific leather, some require specific guns and some require specific clothing.

Register to shoot as a cowboy and wear your Wranglers, a long sleeve shirt and whatever you currently have for holsters/belts.

6 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Use what you have for now.  It may prevent you from shooting in some specific costume categories but I know we wouldn't look down on you for using what you have, as long as it's safe.

As with every other thing in CAS, I highly recommend you go to matches and try as many different things as possible before you buy anything else.

Register to shoot as a cowboy and wear your Wranglers, a long sleeve shirt and whatever you currently have for holsters/belts.

I got lucky with the Rugers, was able to shoot a variety of makes/calibers and liked them the best.  Since I just got them, no choice but to wait a minute on anything else so will have plenty of time to test stuff out.  

There are matches near me almost every weekend so shouldn't be a problem, just have to make sure the people I've been shooting with will he there so I can borrow their long guns.

12 minutes ago, Texas Red said:

I'd go here.....Look at Canvas and elastic loops...http://www.jm-leather.com/index.htm

TR

Thanks, I'll check it out

Probably someone at a local club has a used one or an extra slide you could use. Probably a leatherworker at your local club(s) that could make you one. 

Mernickle, Doc Noper, Michigan Rattler, JM-Leather are where I've bought before.

Just get a shotgun belt slide. They're under $20 on Amazon. Mostly use what you have as advised before. Folks want new shooters. I went to Good Will for hats and shirts way back when I first started out.

2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Check the Merchant Corner or Wire Classifieds on the main log in, great stuff on there.

YES, YES, YES! We need to support the merchants that support us and our sport

The tool belts worn by tradesmen are wide and long and are functional as gun belts.  Check out a big box hardware store.  You can upgrade later to a more stylish belt.  I second just buying a slide.

Regarding brass:

38 Special and 45 ACP from concealed carry qualification sites as once fired pickups.  Also purchased once fired from online auction sites.  For other calibers, Starline brass, often with discount coupons from major matches.

I don't know when or where it became "mandatory" that one use a separate shotgun belt?  But... while I have one, I only wear it when entered in a team shoot and I'm the designated shotgunner.  I've used a shotgun slide that I wear between the buckle & strongside holster on my holster belt.  Holds six shotguns shells.  The vast majority of stages only consist of 4 shotgun... and, if I can't knockdown 4 KDs with six hulls, then I deserve a miss!  Might've happened ONCE in the nearly 38 years I've played in this game.  (Just shy a few months)!

4 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The tool belts worn by tradesmen are wide and long and are functional as gun belts.  Check out a big box hardware store.  You can upgrade later to a more stylish belt.  I second just buying a slide.

Regarding brass:

38 Special and 45 ACP from concealed carry qualification sites as once fired pickups.  Also purchased once fired from online auction sites.  For other calibers, Starline brass, often with discount coupons from major matches.

+1 to this.

Jackson's Western Store in Ashville, N.C. makes nice leather gear and they will customize it for you.   I would recommend getting some used stuff to get started and after you figure out what you really want, then buy once and cry once.  

11 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Jackson's Western Store in Ashville, N.C. makes nice leather gear and they will customize it for you.   I would recommend getting some used stuff to get started and after you figure out what you really want, then buy once and cry once.  

If you call, or go to, Jackson's ask for Bulldog.  He's the owner and a long time cowboy shooter.

@Cool Name TBD where in NC are you?  The Iredell Regulators are shooting tomorrow near Statesville.  I can bring you some 38 brass.

Edit to add a link to info about the match time and location

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0zTvUisWrE6tbiSpYMDPWQdBKRxQPGaUPt4jqXBwS7Ny8ehXH8c8rE2Es2U6X84xCl&id=100092040232947&mibextid=Nif5oz

2 hours ago, Fretless said:

@Cool Name TBD where in NC are you?  The Iredell Regulators are shooting tomorrow near Statesville.  I can bring you some 38 brass.

Wild Hair Larry (Greenville, SC) can fix him up with brass as well.

4 hours ago, Fretless said:

Edit to add a link to info about the match time and location

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0zTvUisWrE6tbiSpYMDPWQdBKRxQPGaUPt4jqXBwS7Ny8ehXH8c8rE2Es2U6X84xCl&id=100092040232947&mibextid=Nif5oz

I'm by the Speedway in Concord. Getting haircut in the morning but heading to Huntersville afterwards so should he able to meet.  I'll check out the link and confirm with you either here or in Facebook 

4 hours ago, Fretless said:

If you call, or go to, Jackson's ask for Bulldog.  He's the owner and a long time cowboy shooter.

It may be a minute before I can get up there but I'll give him a call sometime next week

15 minutes ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

I highly recommend Doc Nopers shotgun belt, you can find him on Facebook, I've been shooting for over twenty years and have tried a lot of different belts and slides and Doc Noper's is the the best...

That's twice he's been mentioned, I'll take a look for sure

@Fretless Should be able to make it tomorrow if you guys are shooting.  Looks like it may be raining all day but hopefully not.  Do you also shoot in Salisbury on the 1st Saturday?  If so im planning on being there so we cam do that if Statesville is rained out 

4 hours ago, Cool Name TBD said:

@Fretless Should be able to make it tomorrow if you guys are shooting.  Looks like it may be raining all day but hopefully not.  Do you also shoot in Salisbury on the 1st Saturday?  If so im planning on being there so we cam do that if Statesville is rained out 

Salisbury is a haul for us.  We live in TN

5 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

I highly recommend Doc Nopers shotgun belt, you can find him on Facebook, I've been shooting for over twenty years and have tried a lot of different belts and slides and Doc Noper's is the the best...

+1

Archived