SASS Wire Forum

Shoutout to the moderators!

John Kloehr

By the time most read this, the site will probably be cleaned up.

Lots of spam, pages of spam, coming from multiple accounts. The moderators have a bunch to do.

A big thank you to them for dealing with this kind of garbage.

Team SASS, too.

Not to mention all the notifications on my email.:angry: Would really like to pop a cap in they're ars.:ph34r: Actually thinking much more medieval!

It seems to happen every time the scammers send PM's to people that post ISO ads in the Classifieds. The scammers tell them that a "friend" has exactly what they are looking for complete with an Email address. The Mods block them from the site and the next day the spam starts. That's what the pattern looks like to me.

Might be time for some verifiable SASS membership requirement, no join and post immediately.

12 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Might be time for some verifiable SASS membership requirement, no join and post immediately.

100% agree.

I've thought for a long time the Classifieds should be locked down for members only. 

Good luck moderators, hope your work goes easy. Thanks!!B)

5 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Good luck moderators, hope your work goes easy. Thanks!!B)

At the rate they are coming in, the Mods are going to have a long day. Thank you Moderators.

35 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

100% agree.

I've thought for a long time the Classifieds should be locked down for members only. 

Yep, you can look but unless you’re a verified member with SASS you can’t post anything or PM anyone, otherwise this crap will keep happening.

36 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

100% agree.

I have missed thoughts on that.

On one hand, it would stop some of the scammers but not the ones that PM people claiming that their "friend" has exactly what they are looking for.

On the other hand, many newbies acquire some (or all) of their equipment for SASS and would thereby be prevented from equipment acquisition in this manner.

On yet a third hand, I've sold quite a few items to non-members who not only paid...but paid promptly and were quite thankful to purchase the items at a good price.

The idea has it's merit, but also has it's drawbacks.

Maybe at least delaying posting for a few days would help. But probably not, kinda like gun waiting periods.

15 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I have missed thoughts on that.

On one hand, it would stop some of the scammers but not the ones that PM people claiming that their "friend" has exactly what they are looking for.

On the other hand, many newbies acquire some (or all) of their equipment for SASS and would thereby be prevented from equipment acquisition in this manner.

On yet a third hand, I've sold quite a few items to non-members who not only paid...but paid promptly and were quite thankful to purchase the items at a good price.

The idea has it's merit, but also has it's drawbacks.

I have mixed thoughts too, but do we want these bastards to be able to have free run like they do? Why not have some kind of vetting process for new posters and members? Seems like they do a little massaging and probing to get a foothold and then start playing their games. Newbies and guests might have to bite the bullet and join SASS and pay the price, a bit harsh but it might do away with the majority of these pranks. 

Don't know if the software would support it, but:

• No PMs until after 5 posts ("My buddy has exactly what you are looking for")
  • No starting threads in For Sale unless there is a verified sass number (some spammers); PITA for admins; alternatively, no starting threads in For Sale until after 10 other posts on the forum
  • Auto lock account if more than a certain rate/quantity of posts (partial control of today's event); but bots create accounts and make a single post faster than they can be deleted
  • So also block source IP address if more than a certain number of accounts are created rapidly from a single source
  • Some geo lockdown (Nigeria, certain known spam VPNs)

These are typical tools on larger platforms, but these tools cost money.

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Don't know if the software would support it, but:

• No PMs until after 5 posts ("My buddy has exactly what you are looking for")
  • No starting threads in For Sale unless there is a verified sass number (some spammers); PITA for admins; alternatively, no starting threads in For Sale until after 10 other posts on the forum
  • Auto lock account if more than a certain rate/quantity of posts (partial control of today's event); but bots create accounts and make a single post faster than they can be deleted
  • So also block source IP address if more than a certain number of accounts are created rapidly from a single source
  • Some geo lockdown (Nigeria, certain known spam VPNs)

These are typical tools on larger platforms, but these tools cost money.

It should be pretty easy to associate users with SASS numbers assuming they have that info in a database somewhere (if they don't that's kinda sad). I would imagine from there it would just be a setting flag that should be included in the forum software(and in theory a programmatic way to set that flag). 

The classifieds are supposed to be a privilege of membership and therefore in my opinion totally locked down from non-members. Just my opinion though.

It's Joe and Hunter Biden trying to get more of your money illegally.  They have been doing it for years and nobody in the Federal Govt. has done nothing about it, so do you think they are scared of SASS?

Archived