SASS Wire Forum

Request comments on Beretta Stampede

C. W. Knight # 47289L

I tried one in a gun shop and when I cocked it, the action locked up. I could not get it to drop the hammer and neither could the gun shop folks. That was enough to sour them for me.

Thanks for your input.  They look nice in a picture but I have very limited experience with clones.  Have had a lot of Rugers.  .  I was already leaning away but that will probably seal the no deal.  Thanks again, C.W.  

Transfer bars in Rugers tend to be much more durable than those found in Uberti and Pietta products.  If the pistols are a good deal buy them.  A good cowboy gunsmith can remove the transfer bars without much trouble.  I know of a couple of shooters who have shot the Beretta Stampedes for years with no issues, but both gentlemen had the transfer bars removed.  My Pietta pistols purchased from Cabela's also had the transfer bars system when I purchased them.  My local cowboy gunsmith removed them and they have been my main match pistols for the last 10 years.

i have one , its my backup 38 , ive had no issues with it but i seldom shoot it , i like the feel of it , it shoots well and ill not be parting with it , 

Gorgeous guns that's for sure. I'd love to have a pair but for me they'd just be eye candy. The Beretta Renegade 1873 though? IMO the best 73 we have in our game. I have six. Four in 38/357 (main match and back ups for the wife and I) and two in 45LC (one for each of us should we need for WB or CC). They've all been tuned by Roughneck Rod back when he was doing it. I think the fit and finish on them is superior to the other clones.

JEL

When I started CAS, I purchased a Stampede and a Ruger. Shot them both for about 4-5 years. Never a problem with either pistol.  I then picked up a pair of Jimmy Spurs Rugers and the Beretta became a spare/backup along with the stock Ruger.  I would recommend the Beretta but admit that the Ruger is a sturdier built  pistol. 

Archived