SASS Wire Forum

Who else wet shaves?

DeaconKC

I still enjoy a nice shave. Use Derby blades, a Colonel Conk Badger brush and definitely like a good shave soap. A couple older Gillette's handle the main work.

Shave?

IMG_20230524_095210553.thumb.jpg.ab894a51d1d28e7be19fb0ffad91f70a.jpg

I did used to enjoy shaving with a straight razor.  Hot water, mug of soap, shaving brush, strop, and razor.  Dress the strop about once a month, strop the blade before and after each shave.

It was kind of fun shaving at reenactments.  I still had a chin beard and moustache, but kept the sides, cheeks, and neck clean.  I'd wait to shave until the camps were open to the public so I could put on a little show of how it was done "back in the day." Nothing flashy, just went about it as normal routine.  Answered questions as they came up.

7 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Always been a blade man and Barbasol. Before they went out of business, Burma Shave.

Hardly a driver / Is now alive / Who passed / On hills / At 75 / Burma-Shave

Those signs were great!!

I use a Gillette safety razor with Wilksinson Sword blades or a Gillette Mach 3, Colonel Ichabod Conk's Badger brush and his Bay Rum cake shaving soap, (in an old fashioned green rubber cup) and sometimes finish it off with Grand Bay bay rum after shave.

I finally gave up my old German throat cutter a few months back after my hands got so unstable that I was afraid that the old straight razor would live up to its nickname.

I'm leery of cutting, freezing or breaking off parts that I'm still using.  I'm a near antique collector's model and they don't make parts for us any more.

I have to shave as a requirement of my job. Wet shave, brush, different razors. Been doing that for decades. Upon retirement I will throw that habit out.

I wet shaved until 1990 then switched to electric for a few years then went back to wet. Then one day it seemed like razors jumped way up in price in the early 2000s and I have shaved electric since. Braun electric razors. It’s easier to trim around a beard with an electric. I shaved my beard off today. Got tired of sweat tickling my face. 

21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wet shaved until 1990 then switched to electric for a few years then went back to wet. Then one day it seemed like razors jumped way up in price in the early 2000s and I have shaved electric since. Braun electric razors. It’s easier to trim around a beard with an electric. I shaved my beard off today. Got tired of sweat tickling my face. 

Same here, I shave my neck under the beard and my cheeks. The ones on my face!:lol: 
I also have a WAHL beard trimmer to keep it under control.

29025538-BE9E-46A7-816C-EEAAA4487E51.jpeg

I have only shaved a couple of times since I got out of high school. I consider it a waste of time and money

9 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I have only shaved a couple of times since I got out of high school. I consider it a waste of time and money

If I ever want a divorce all I have to do is shave.

I wet shave about twice a week. Used to use the 5 blade whatever they were razors but blade prices got to be outrageous so I switched to the Schick disposable razors that cost $20 + tax, for a 20 pack at Sams or BJ's. Not as smooth but they're comfortable for about 10 shaves with Edge Sensitive Skin Gel. 

I don't like shaving but it's way too hot and humid in Florida for facial hair...been there, tried that for a year...no thanks.

On vacation from work I'll let my facial hair grow. Damn! Where's the brown? It's about half brown and half grey anymore. I need to retire before its all grey! :)

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

On vacation from work I'll let my facial hair grow. Damn! Where's the brown? It's about half brown and half grey anymore. I need to retire before its all grey! :)

I used to grow a beard for camouflage for bow hunting. Now it looks like a deer tail. Whitetail! 

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I AM NOT GREY!

I am prematurely blonde.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I AM NOT GREY!

I am prematurely blonde.

I plan to use the term “Arctic Blonde” when asked about my hair color when it’s gray. ;)

Shave the mustache every day, and the neck as needed. Use mostly Gillette disposables. They last a long time with that routine....

I've had the beard since my early 20s, always without the mustache. Put on a straw hat and I can pass for Amish easy.

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Same here, I shave my neck under the beard and my cheeks. The ones on my face!:lol: 
I also have a WAHL beard trimmer to keep it under control.

29025538-BE9E-46A7-816C-EEAAA4487E51.jpeg

me too , just like you , i kiinda like not cutting my facil hair every day but i do for the occasions and when im thinking its needed , my good friend gifted me a razor - it was his fathers , i use it in remembrance but ill be honest , i would use my old one if i had it , im just lucky my good friend thought so much of me - i love the shave i get , 

I do the cheeks, neck and shape the mustache only these days with cheap disposables and can shaving cream.  Don't want to lose body parts to a straight razor and Grandpa made me promise to never buy buy blades for his Gillette when he gave it to me.

I screwed up the goatee about a year ago and grew the beard so I could carve another one out.  Eventually, I'll get around to doing it

I used to have a barber that I had take off my winter beard every year. Miss getting a straight razor shave. It was an experience.

Shaved every thing but the 'stache for years, due to job policy.  Current job allows facial hair as long as it's neat.  Been wearing a goatee and the 'stache for about 11 years now.  Barbasol and a good quality disposable razor.

After wearing a hat all day, my horns came out.  Wife had to capture it for posterity.  

horns pic.jpg

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I used to have a barber that I had take off my winter beard every year. Miss getting a straight razor shave. It was an experience.

When I was a kid, and the barber would shave the back of my neck, he used a straight razor.

The barber nowadays - and it seems like every time I go in there it's a different barber - uses a disposable.

I miss that "whap whap whap whap" of him stropping it before he went to work on my neck.

Archived