SASS Wire Forum

Greens

Subdeacon Joe

11 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i seldom look for the green leafy description in my salad , i like eating them but im not gonna be a salad snob as oi prefer beef 

I was looking for which of the greens that usually get cooked are the least bitter. She Who Must Be Obeyed keeps wanting to try cooked greens but doesn't like the bitter of most of them.   

I came across that and had a good laugh.

There are very few green foods I eat.  Iceberg lettuce, sweet peas, asparagus sometimes, most pickles, mint chocolate chip ice cream, lime if used as a a condiment, green Jell-O, bell peppers, maybe a few more.

51 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I was looking for which of the greens that usually get cooked are the least bitter. She Who Must Be Obeyed keeps wanting to try cooked greens but doesn't like the bitter of most of them.   

I came across that and had a good laugh.

i did not realize you were looking to cook them , that changes my thinking here as i dont cook green leafy stuff at all , im not fond of wilted lettuce , i do see the amusement in that yuppy approach to vegetable stuff - let them eat Kelp i always say , life is too short to not enjoy what you eat tho so i hope you find things your wife enjoys , 

life has gone way too fast for me im eating what i like and while willing to try new things , ill not be eating things that dont look or smell good anymore , unless you can convince me its really good , 

I get served what is essentially cafeteria food for seniors (means cooked without salt) prepared by people who think they know how to cook. Couple years ago collard greens were included often. Those were often unchewable. The spinach is just tasteless, as are green beans which are at least chewable.

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

did not realize you were looking to cook them , that changes my thinking here as i dont cook green leafy stuff at all , im not fond of wilted lettuce ,

I don't understand grilled romaine and the like.  I'm looking at Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens cooked with Bacon or Smoked Ham Hocks and braised in stock of some sort.

I don't include lettuce in with 'greens'.  It's eaten raw on a sandwich or as a salad.  When I think 'greens', I think cooked.

Of the 3 on the list that are cooked geeens that I've eaten, the folks making the list got the order right.  Love collards, like turnips and mustard are way too strong for my tastes.

Until today I hadn’t heard of 6 of the greens on that list. :lol:
Does that make me happily ignorant? Probably and that’s okay with me. 
I hate Kale. I used to wear tee shirts in California that had graphics on them displaying my hate for kale. Wearing these shirts, I had 4 different ones, would attract vegan whiney weinies like cake & ice cream attracts fat kids, only not in a good way.
Ah, the wonders of the human psyche when warped by bean sprouts and green smoothies… These people were flippin’ NUTS! Which made for some fun interactions that I could relive over and over. :rolleyes:
When I left CA I left my shirts with Goodwill so others might benefit and make their own fond memories. :D

I like most of the eaten raw in a salad green vegetables.  I don't like stewed greens, like turnip greens, or collard greens and most specially hate poke salat greens.  

I do like a mess of leaf lettuce wilted with bacon grease, especially if some white radishes are sliced into it thinly.  

Peas, green beans and the like are acceptable.  English peas with new potatoes was once a favored treat.  

Other than kale being the new version of the the brown rice of the '70s and the raspberry vinaigrette of the '90s, and that it's a pain in the backside to chop, I have nothing against it.  Not significantly different than any other cooked green.

Not fond of wilted salads.  I think that's from too many summer cookouts.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Other than kale being the new version of the the brown rice of the '70s and the raspberry vinaigrette of the '90s, and that it's a pain in the backside to chop, I have nothing against it. 

Try drizzling the oil on the kale first, then the knife will easily ....... slide across the cutting board as you scrape it into the garbage ......  ;)

......... follow me for more culinary tips and hints  .....   -_-

11 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I don't understand grilled romaine and the like.  I'm looking at Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Mustard Greens cooked with Bacon or Smoked Ham Hocks and braised in stock of some sort.

that sounds good , i must modify my comment just a tad i guess 

18 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I prefer to drizzle oil over my kale : ........ makes it easier to scrape off my plate into the garbage ...

...... WHERE IT BELONGS !!!!!!!!!!  :angry:

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Try drizzling the oil on the kale first, then the knife will easily ....... slide across the cutting board as you scrape it into the garbage ......  ;)

Wow! You can say that again! ;):D:lol:

Collards and kale are similar in taste.  Kale is more tender, collards are better nutritionally.

Collards seem to be getting trendy.   So will people suddenly start hating collards?

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Wow! You can say that again! ;):D:lol:

On 5/23/2023 at 2:49 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I prefer to drizzle oil over my kale : ........ makes it easier to scrape off my plate into the garbage ...

...... WHERE IT BELONGS !!!!!!!!!!  :angry:

9 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... "that again"

:P

Love me a mess of turnip greens, but no sense cooking them because 1) they smell up the kitchen and 2) nobody else in this house will come anywhere near them.  Cracker Barrel in South Carolina has good ones - cooked with pork & served with peppery vinegar.  Other than that, I like most green foods (exception: okra) but not cooked.  OK, green beans.  You gotta cook beans, unless you're my SIL & grandson #2.

One of my favorite greens. I also like canned collard and mixed greens. I recall having turnip and mustard greens when I was a kid. 
I haven’t had any in years. 

image.thumb.png.6f89dc49f5f2254855098e60b085ff83.png

31 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of my favorite greens. I also like canned collard and mixed greens. I recall having turnip and mustard greens when I was a kid. 
I haven’t had any in years. 

image.thumb.png.6f89dc49f5f2254855098e60b085ff83.png

So you would probably like

Amazon.com: Glory Foods, Seasoned, Kale Greens, 27oz Can (Pack of 4) :  Grocery & Gourmet Food

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

So you would probably like

Amazon.com: Glory Foods, Seasoned, Kale Greens, 27oz Can (Pack of 4) :  Grocery & Gourmet Food

Is that for real? Never mind. I went and looked. 

To me fresh kale just tastes crappy and the texture is weird. Perhaps it tastes better after boiling and seasoning. I will probably never know. 

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

To me fresh kale just tastes crappy and the texture is weird.

Yep.  Unless chopped real fine.  Almost like chewing plastic crepe ribbons.  But chopped small (which is a pain in the posterior because of the way it's all crinkled up), and put in a soup, or sauted like other tough greens they are pretty good.

i eat a lot of spinach - never have the muscle issues - i rather like it as an alternative to lettuce , not that i have an issue with lettuce 

About asparagus.

I read that Babe Ruth was once offered asparagus and declined, saying “it makes my urine smell”

it’s a genetic thing, not that one has a gene that causes asparagus smell. One has the gene that allows him to smell the asparagus urine.

14 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

HEY !!!!!!

..... where's that mint chocolate ice cream gotten too .......   ???  :huh:

Sorry, used it all to make

Ingredients

• 1 pint good-quality mint chocolate ice cream slightly softened
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 oz Creme de Cacao 1 shot
  • 1 1/2 oz Creme de Menthe 1 shot
  • 3 thin chocolate mint cookies ie, Grasshoppers, crushed

Instructions

• Place all ingredients (except crushed cookies) in blender.
  • Blend until smooth (about 15 seconds).
  • Pour into tall glass and top with crushed cookies.
  • Serve immediately!

Archived