SASS Wire Forum

My New Rabbit Hole—- They’re done

Yul Lose

My oldest granddaughter asked me about live edge epoxy river tables a couple of months ago. She wanted a couple of bedside tables in her master bedroom and wanted to help build them. I’ve done a little colored epoxy work before but none of this magnitude. I found a epoxy resin store in Lake Elsinore and with Sergio, the store managers help I got the stuff that I needed. I built the forms out of some 3/4” plywood and made them so they’ll be reusable. Saturday morning my granddaughter came down and we mixed the epoxy and did the pour. Here’s what they look like after 2 days. One more full day of curing and I’ll knock the forms off and run them through the dual drum sander and then trim to size, finish sand, seal and finish with more epoxy resin top coat. I’ll post more pictures of the finished tops later this week.

My stepson is welding up the tube steel cabinet frames and they go to powder coating this week so hopefully next week I’ll have the finished night stands ready for pictures. My wife has already made a couple of small box requests after she saw these castings.

056108D0-6DCD-4F1C-A8E6-F90F9AEEF72C.jpeg

DC302848-F3BF-45E9-BAE3-24890FAE0426.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I’ve thought about going down that same rabbit hole. Those sure look nice!

You should  to give it a shot. Check out Pinterest for a bunch of examples, there’s a ton of them on there and lots of how to and not to do information. 

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I've been thinking about some epoxy projects for a while but the cost of materials gives me pause.  It could be a very expensive learning curve.

It’s pricey stuff for sure. She paid for the live edge walnut and the epoxy and she’s paying for the frames to be built. When it’s all said and done she’ll have $700.00-$800.00 tied up in them. Grandpas labor is free, of course.

I took the 2 tops out of the forms and after about 30 or so light passes in the drum sander this is what they look like. I really like the swirl using 2 different colors of blue dye.

9DA7D6E4-44C9-4EAD-B796-B7FD61927081.jpeg

D575BDB4-3D95-4D2E-92CB-AE1523598980.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Well they are finally finished. They were a lot of work and I learned a bunch about epoxy, deep pour epoxy and what not to do. Thanks to a guy up at the epoxy store and many YouTube videos I think they came out pretty good. I can see some flaws and if I ever do something like these again I’ll know not to do what I did this time. My stepson Charlie welded up the frames and even installed adjustable levelers in the legs, he builds desert race cars and knows his way around metal and welding. He had the frames powder coated also. My granddaughter did not want drawer pulls that stuck out because she’s kind of like her Nana and tends to run into things like that so I came up with the flush pulls that don’t protrude. The deep pour (blue dyed) epoxy took 6 days to cure and then many lite passes thru the dual drum sander, I lost count at 65 passes when I had to answer a phone call, I’m guessing 85-95 all together for each top.

I used 2 different colors of blue dye to get the marbled look on the deep pour epoxy. I poured the major darker blue color in one layer and then a thin layer of lighter blue and then a final top layer of the darker blue. Once the epoxy started to gel I took a bamboo skewer and stirred the entire depth of epoxy to get the swirl that I was looking for.

Another challenge was keeping the bubbles popped in the epoxy as it dried. With the deep pour stuff it took about 12 hours to gel up to where there weren’t any bubbles rising so about every 10 minutes or so I’d have to pass a propane torch over the tops to get rid of bubbles. After sanding from 120 grit up through 600 grit I applied a sealer flood coat and again had to be on bubble patrol until it gelled. Once that coat was dry I sanded with 220 grit paper and wiped the sanding dust off with a damp cloth, let it dry and applied a second flood coat and did the bubble patrol again with far fewer bubbles to worry about. Sanded again with 220 grit paper and removed the dust, let it dry and apply the final coat. Very few bubbles to worry about but I was still diligent about getting the bubbles.

I installed full extension, ball bearing drawer guides on the drawers and installed liners in the drawers because I don’t like the looks of the plain plywood drawer bottoms. The finish on the drawer front and cabinet sides and bottom panels is Watco Teak oil and lacquer. 

IMG_3935.jpeg

IMG_4486.jpeg

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3938.jpeg

IMG_4488.jpeg

IMG_4491.jpeg

IMG_4489.jpeg

IMG_4490.jpeg

Once again, beautiful work Yul. You always seem to top your last one. 

Jax T

• Yul Lose changed the title to My New Rabbit Hole—- They’re done
11 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Epoxy gun cart next ? 

Probably not, way to much work.

I am sure glad you posted photos of the finished product.  I guess my eyes were out of whack because the first photos of the raw product looked like Shrek puked a blue slushy.  BUT, I knew if YOU were doing it the end product would be neat.

Absolutely beautiful work.

If she takes photos outside the shop, I suggest a polarizing filter on the lens to bring out the depth and detail.

Archived