SASS Wire Forum

Military Surplus 1955 .45 ACP

Buckshot Bear

I have shot a ton of milsurp ammo over the decades. The only rounds made that were never corrosive were .30 Carbine and 7.62 NATO. Anything else I treat as it will be corrosive. Not a big deal, just clean the gun when you get home. The only extra step to take is to spray it down with a water based cleaner [I just use glass cleaner from a spray bottle] when you start, then clean normally.

I once got a plethora .45 ACP that was made for World War One.   Even if it wasn't corrosive primed, which I assumed it was, I was afraid that the power being that old might be a problem.  So I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, popped the old primers, put in new ones, new powder and put the bullets back.   A bit of work, but I feel it was worth it.   Sure, my 1911 was made in 1913, but I didn't wanna shoot ammo in it that was almost as old as the gun.

In my book, that ammo is pretty close to being worthless.  That one pinkish colored round is beginning to tarnish, probably from storage conditions, not the priming.  It won't be dangerous to shoot.  A fired case like that can be cleaned with a brief dunk in a sulfamic acid (grout cleaner) solution to remove the layer of copper plated on the surface during corrosion.

I'd probably shoot and discard the empties to a scrap dealer, and wash out the pistol.  My .45 auto brass stockpile got thinned of all military head stamp brass with a date of 1979 or earlier a few months ago because I was having too many cracked cases on firing my WB loads out of them.  No cracks on newer cases.  Will probably repeat that process in another 20 years :lol:

Here's a marginally definitive statement on US Mil primer switch over:

The majority of U.S. military cartridge contractors eventually made the transition to non-corrosive primers during the 1950s.

So, I'd take the safe route and assume corrosive primed.

good luck, GJ

I shot thousands of rounds of .30-06 TW54 milspec ammo, and never had a problem with corrosion.  Best military .-06 ammo made!  Some National Match ammo (can't recall which lots) were corrosive primed. Not sure about .45ACP.

14 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

It ain't worth shooting. Drop 20 bucks and get a decent box of ammo with nice ,reloadable brass. My guns are worth more than 20 bucks.

Its a bit more than that here.

Remington Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point (50pk) (L45AP7)

SKU: L45AP7

REMINGTON UMC .45 ACP 185GRN FMJ AMMUNITION- 50RD BOX

(1 Review)
ITEM #: AREM23818
BRAND:Remington
$25.95
Ball ammo, I imagine a lot closer to the old stuff than the new 230g hp.

Sorry, that is from aim surplus.com excellent source.

15 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

CCI LAWMAN .45ACP TMJ 230GRN CLEAN FIRE AMMUNITION- 50RD BOX

ITEM #: ALAW45TMJ230CF
BRAND:Speer
$21.95
Actually a little better deal.... aimsurplus.com again

Did you notice they are in Astrialia and not the US?

Just answered my own question, looked up open tops in Australia (after reading import laws) and looks like 1300 ausie dollars(859 us) that would cost 530ish here..kinda pricey. 

On 5/24/2023 at 4:25 AM, ORNERY OAF said:

Just answered my own question, looked up open tops in Australia (after reading import laws) and looks like 1300 ausie dollars(859 us) that would cost 530ish here..kinda pricey. 

This will give you a fair idea of the prices.

$1000 Aussie beer tokens is about $653USD

Calibre/Item: 45 Long Colt

Make: Uberti
Model: 1873 Carbine
Condition: New
Price: $2495
Advertised: 25/05/2023
Comment: New 1873 19" Carbine in classic 45 Long Colt Calibre
Dealer Ad Single Action Supplies Aust. & Noosa Shooters, Tinbeerwah Qld

Calibre/Item: 45-70

Make: Pedersoli
Model: Browning 1885 Highwall Deluxe
Price: $3995
Comment: New Pedersoli 1885 Browning 45-70 Highwall Deluxe 32 inch octagonal barrel.
Dealer Ad Single Action Supplies Aust. & Noosa Shooters Supplies 597 Cooroy-Noosa Rd, Tinbeerwah Qld

This is for one Dragoon

Calibre/Item: 44 BP

Model: Dragoon 3rd Civil
Price: $899
Comment: Single Uberti 44 BP Dragoon 3rd model revolvers

For a pair of 1860's 

Calibre/Item: 44 BP

Model: 1860 Army Consecutive Pair
Price: $1490
Advertised: 23/05/2023
Comment: Pair Uberti 1860 Army 44 cal Black powder revolvers consecutively numbered. $1350 pair

For a pair of El Patrons

Calibre/Item: 357 Mag

Model: Cattleman El Patron
Price: $2375
Advertised: 22/05/2023
Comment: New pair of Uberti Cattleman El Patron 4.75 inch revolvers. More slicked than normal. Cattleman checkered grips & square notch rear sight

1 hour ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Ok, we don't have it so bad.....yikes

We are paying a helluva lot to get this stuff down to Australia by ship etc and then freighted around a massive country. The other thing is

we have a few companies that have a monopoly -

This though does even things up a bit -

Minimum Wage in Australia is $21.38 per hour 

Minimum Wage in America is $7.25 per hour

Archived