SASS Wire Forum

Transporting firearms though Chicago?

Matthew Duncan

I’m in northern Indiana.  Thinking about signing up for the Wisconsin State SASS.  Chicago is dap smack in the middle.  Any practical suggestions on how to legal transport firearms in Illinois and Chicago?

I think I’d treat it like I did when I went through New York on my way to Maine:

Guns in locked hard cases. Ammo in locked ammo boxes. All in bed of truck in locked camper shell.

My impression is it’s not the rural, but urban, LEO agencies to worry about.

have you seen Chicago?

I suggest hiring two people and put guns loaded out the windows...place is a warzone.

Seriously tho, separate guns in ammo in locked cases.

If you happen to get pulled over do not tell them they are there and do NOT consent to searches period.

There is a highway west of Chicago that crosses the state N / S been a long while so I can't recall the designation.  Check your map and keep a low profile.  I can recall walking around both Chicago and St. Louis / KC  comfortably with no more than martial arts skill and a small knife.  That was then.

3 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I’m in northern Indiana.  Thinking about signing up for the Wisconsin State SASS.  Chicago is dap smack in the middle.  Any practical suggestions on how to legal transport firearms in Illinois and Chicago?

Matthew, go to handgunlaw.us and click on Illinois, it will tell you about transporting firearms in a vehicle, you might want to download it and print it off and have a copy of the statute...

Avoid Chicago. In fact, just avoid Illinois. The State Police could be problematic as well in a traffic stop.

Doing the "go around Illinois" thing is not an option for MD; that's just silly.

As was mentioned, check the laws and adhere to separate storage; usually guns out of the passenger compartment and locked in cases.

Ammo locked as well and separate from the firearms. Follow speed limits (especially in Illinois) and if you're getting run over, go with the general flow of traffic.

Used to live there and have been back many times. When I travel, I usually travel armed and Illinois (yes, Chicago) is definitely a place where you would think you would need to be. Illinois and California (when I was there) are places where you have to follow their silly laws and just get through it. Travelling up from Indiana to Wisconsin will take you up I294 and not directly through the city; you'll be safe.

From Indiana, take I80/94 to 355(tolls) to 90 and you avoid chicago altogether.   or 80/94 to 294 up to Wisc.  Again totally avoids Chicago and is faster.   No issues.  As others say,  just don't keep ammo and firearms in same case and keep in trunk and there are no issues.   All those roads are patrolled by state police, so unless your REALLY speeding, you will have not issues.  Nothing to be paranoid about. 

On 5/21/2023 at 10:45 PM, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L said:

Matthew, go to handgunlaw.us and click on Illinois, it will tell you about transporting firearms in a vehicle, you might want to download it and print it off and have a copy of the statute...

I've read the laws.  I should have worded my OP better instead of "legal transport".

Practical suggestions on how not to tempt local LEOs into performing unconditional arrests and seizers? 

On 5/21/2023 at 8:12 PM, Old Man Graybeard said:

Go up through the UP of Michigan and come back down

Or take the car ferry at Ludington MI to Manitowoc WI: https://www.ssbadger.com/

or from Muskegon MI to Milwaukee: https://www.lake-express.com/

48 minutes ago, Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804 said:

Do not have any pro firearms stickers on your vehicle. 

Maybe try to find a biden 2020 sticker :)

Wonderful idea on the bumper sticker!!!  I’m sure I have a Braden sticker around here somewhere.

On 5/22/2023 at 11:44 AM, Toranado, SASS # 58447 said:

Here's actual copy from Ill state police site.   Very simple

image.png

It's still Illinois... I'd not put my trust in anything from that state's website. But that's me.

Driving carefully, nothing in plain site, avoiding Chigago... probably the best tactics.

I90 to I65 south to Route 24 west ( maybe be 231 in Indiana) . Completely avoids Chicago and is a good road. Take 24 west thru a bunch of small towns until you get to I39 and go north to Rockford and on into Wisc. a bit out of the way but avoids the entire Chicago metro area.

Otherwise, I90 to I80 to I39. Takes you thru the south end of the Chicago area. Fill up with gas before you hit Illinois and don't stop until you are past Joliet or you turn north on I39. There are so many Indiana drivers on that route they will ignore you if you stay close to the speed limit. Make sure you check for construction before you leave as it can add hours to your travel and can be backed up. The route 24 route would avoid most construction, just have to watch for speed changes in small towns.

Get an Ipass for the tolls if you drive anywhere Illinois and your route shows tolls. Indiana has a electronic tolls, it should work in Illinois.

Good luck.

I have traveled all over the US both in a car and in our motorhome, vacationing, traveling to hunt, traveling to shoots. I always have firearms in my vehicle. 
I typically go around Chicago when I go visit my sister in Wisconsin or when traveling to the U.P. Simply to avoid the traffic and toll roads.

I have been pulled over a couple times over the years. Once for tail light that was legitimately out. 

I have been through immigration control check points and check points where the police where looking for somebody.

Never once have I been pulled over and random searched.

What’s the secret? Drive with in the law. Don’t act like an idgit. Don’t look sketchy.

I don’t know where in Indiana you live, but the Muskegon to Milwaukee ferry ride might be a neat way to get there if you’re not taking a large camper/trailer or a motor home.

I kinda like the idea of a couple hours of cruising along while someone else is doing the driving/navigating!

AN ADDITIONAL SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO ADD TO YOUR EXCURSION!!

Wouldn’t hurt to have a copy of the shoot flyer and the confirmation email.  Not sure what it’s worth, but may help answer a question or two. 

oh and hide the gang tats.

Boys I’m from Illinois and have traveled all over the State with guns for 50 years. Have them in a closed case, soft or hard as long as it’s zipped closed and have ammo in a separate closed container and don’t drive like an idiot and you’ll be just fine.I suspect there are other States more anti gun than Illinois.

It's so sad that this post even exists. A perfectly law abiding citizen being worried what will happen if he's stopped with perfectly legal items in his vehicle? Especially when the lawless have control of that area. SMH, can't get much more backwards then that. 

JEL

On 5/26/2023 at 5:56 PM, Bull Skinner said:

Boys I’m from Illinois and have traveled all over the State with guns for 50 years. Have them in a closed case, soft or hard as long as it’s zipped closed and have ammo in a separate closed container and don’t drive like an idiot and you’ll be just fine.I suspect there are other States more anti gun than Illinois.

The "don't drive like an idiot" part is the key in avoiding a traffic stop.

Several states have anti 2A gun laws that can ruin a traveler's day so I avoid those states altogether... life is easier that way.

When I hauled a one-way trailer from NY to TX in 2016 the route was easily planned to avoid NJ but I couldn't conveniently avoid crossing the narrow western part of Maryland.  I didn't drive like an idiot and held my breath for the 12 miles from Pennsylvania to West Virginia across Hagerstown MD and that was that.  Best move I ever made.

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The "don't drive like an idiot" part is the key in avoiding a traffic stop.

Several states have anti 2A gun laws that can ruin a traveler's day so I avoid those states altogether... life is easier that way.

It's not just your driving in some of these states. If you have an out of state tag and a pro gun sticker they're looking for a reason to stop you. I'm an LEO and being on some of the cop forums I assure you that there are some Lib state cops live for just that. They think their actually doing a service. I avoid Illinois and New York just for that reason. 

JEL

7 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

... I couldn't conveniently avoid crossing the narrow western part of Maryland...

Drove that stretch 4 times (2 round trips). Unbelievable amount of aggressive driving and even hints of road rage on that short stretch of highway. It starts after the last exit before entering Maryland in each direction, and ends at the first exit after leaving the state.

Archived