SASS Wire Forum

recommend a Brownin Hi-power gunsmith

Irish Pat

well I can not get it back together. Any suggestions. i disconnected the magazine safety, put in Cylinder & Slide springs and hammer and now it don’t assemble. any suggestions. I pulled up Cylinder and Slide and they have a two year waiting line.

I did the same work on a TISA hi-power. The C&S parts were drop in. I suggest laying it aside, eat a doughnut, and get on u-tube for some instruction videos.  Then start over from what you previously had apart. Some little piece is out of order. I have some Hi Power literature I could scan you after today, but I resort to the videos quite often when I can't get guns back together. CAUTION- This is not the time to DREMEL! 

I would agree with @No Horse Hair, SASS #77464. Patience is the rule of the day. If you still end up stuck though, I would expect that most competent gunsmiths in your area could work on a Hi-Power. If not, they should consider taking down their shingles.

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

I would expect that most competent gunsmiths in your area could work on a Hi-Power. If not, they should consider taking down their shingles.

Most "gunsmiths" today are only capable of changing out Glock or AR15 parts. 

Some years ago I had an SAA clone that I wanted the barrel tightened a bit, (3 degrees) to get my POA- POI aligned. A shop in my area was advertising that they had a new "gunsmith" on the premises, so I thought I'd give him a shot. A week later, I went back to check on it, and he hadn't done it. He said that he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I took the gun home after giving him my opinion of his "skills". That night I was cycling the action when I noticed the the cylinder wasn't advancing. When I disassembled the gun, I found that he had also done so, and LOST the coil spring that put pressure on the hand. I replaced the spring with one I had on hand and got the barrel turned elsewhere, and haven't been back to the first place. 

18 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Most "gunsmiths" today are only capable of changing out Glock or AR15 parts. 

Some years ago I had an SAA clone that I wanted the barrel tightened a bit, (3 degrees) to get my POA- POI aligned. A shop in my area was advertising that they had a new "gunsmith" on the premises, so I thought I'd give him a shot. A week later, I went back to check on it, and he hadn't done it. He said that he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I took the gun home after giving him my opinion of his "skills". That night I was cycling the action when I noticed the the cylinder wasn't advancing. When I disassembled the gun, I found that he had also done so, and LOST the coil spring that put pressure on the hand. I replaced the spring with one I had on hand and got the barrel turned elsewhere, and haven't been back to the first place. 

I will note three things. First, my use of the word "competent." Second, your use of quotation marks offsetting "gunsmiths," and finally my assertion those incapable should take down their shingle. All of what which causes me to stand by my final assertion.

There are obviously talented gunsmiths in the cowboy action community. Lassiter comes to mind locally, and I have been nothing but pleased with my Long Hunter tuned guns, as well as my prized-by-me NKJ Rossi '92. Beyond that, it's like anything else, one needs to look at the smith's credentials, to see if they even have the right to claim they are what they are.

Locally, I now send all of my firearms to a local shop run by Jake Klarer, the former district gunsmith for Gander Mountain. Yes, he is a friend from my days of working there, but he is a graduate of the Colorado School of Trades, and holds various certifications. I started going to him only for my firearms repair needs after two different "gunsmiths" couldn't diagnose why a Beretta 92 belonging to my brother was having failure to extract malfunctions. One did a complete teardown and claimed there was some grit and unburned powder that was likely the culprit. Jake disassembled it and immediately said "you've got a bad extractor spring. I'll order one. If that's not the problem, it's on me." That was the problem. The most recent job he did for me just happened to be taking an old Isreali Surplus Hi-Power and cerakoting it, adding some C&S parts that it needed and making it look and shoot amazing again. Once I get some more rounds through it without malfunction, it may become my EDC. Oh, most importantly, there has been a gun that Jake said "No, you're better off sending that to someone else." That was the '73 Carbine I sent to Long Hunter. Competent also means knowing your limits.

10 hours ago, No Horse Hair, SASS #77464 said:

I did the same work on a TISA hi-power. The C&S parts were drop in. I suggest laying it aside, eat a doughnut, and get on u-tube for some instruction videos.  Then start over from what you previously had apart. Some little piece is out of order. I have some Hi Power literature I could scan you after today, but I resort to the videos quite often when I can't get guns back together. CAUTION- This is not the time to DREMEL! 

There is NEVER a time for a Dremel on a gun in my opinion.  I have three and they are great for craft projects but never for gun work.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I will note three things. First, my use of the word "competent." Second, your use of quotation marks offsetting "gunsmiths," and finally my assertion those incapable should take down their shingle. All of what which causes me to stand by my final assertion.

Completely agree. I'm just mentioning what I've seen here locally. Around here, parts swappers are what mostly passes for a gunsmith.

I did have the pleasure of finding an actual local Gunsmith to work on another pistol of mine. 

I acquired the parts to convert a 2" Taurus 85 to a three inch gun. The guy that was able to do the work was about the fourth guy I asked.

On 5/21/2023 at 8:02 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

There is NEVER a time for a Dremel on a gun in my opinion.  I have three and they are great for craft projects but never for gun work.

Years ago the local gunsmith said he was going to buy dremel tools for all of us shooters, said it would keep him in work through retirement. :lol:

Archived