SASS Wire Forum

Permission note for underage marriage

Alpo

Just wondered how that worked.

There's a 50s movie called SUSAN SLEPT HERE. 17-year-old Debbie Reynolds' widowed mother gets married, and she and her new husband moved to Peru where he has a job waiting. Susan (Debbie) convinced Mama that she was going to marry Joe, a boy that she had dated (she doesn't really want to marry Joe, this is just an excuse). This was so Mama would leave her behind. She said that a woman does not need to take a 17 year old kid on her honeymoon. So there she is in LA, with the permission note from her mother to get married.

Then she meets Mark and they fall in love and go to Vegas and get hitched. And they can do that because even though she is underaged, she has a permission note from her mother.

And I just wondered how that worked. You show the note to the preacher, and he says "okay let's have the ceremony"? Xerox wasn't readily available back then, so he couldn't burn a copy to keep with his records, to cover his butt if it ever came back that he married off an underage girl. And I'm absolutely sure that they would not let him have the note - at least I wouldn't let him have a note. Might come a time when somebody wants to give me legal trouble for being married to a young girl, and having that permission slip from Mama might come in handy.

In 1956, my parents married.  Dad was 19 and mom was 15.  None of my grandparents were consulted before my parents drove a couple of hours away to a Justice of the Peace and got married on Christmas Eve.  In fact, they didn't tell anyone until a couple of days later.

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

In 1956, my parents married.  Dad was 19 and mom was 15.  None of my grandparents were consulted before my parents drove a couple of hours away to a Justice of the Peace and got married on Christmas Eve.  In fact, they didn't tell anyone until a couple of days later.

I was 23.  My wife was two months shy of 18.

"They" said it wouldn't last.

"They" were wrong.  We were married 51 years before she passed away. I consider myself stiil marries and the luckiest man on the planet.

I have a first cousin that came home from the Marines with a Hawaiian woman. I guess she was full blooded Polynesian.  They had to go to Kansas to get married because Missouri didn't allow mix race marriage. 

12 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

We were married in 1967, both at 19, which I gladly post inasmuch as  today, May 20, 2023, is our 56th anniversary!

Congratulations!!’

3 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

1968....I was 20 and she was 21. My Dad had to take me to the County office to sign and approval for me to get married. Otherwise they wouldn't issue a license. I was 1 month short of 21.

This was California so????????

In June 1967 my wife was less then a month shy of 20 & I 5 months shy of 21.  I don't remember having to have a parent give written permission for either of us.  We were married at the local Catholic parish church in El Cerrito CA.

38 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

We were married in 1967, both at 19, which I gladly post inasmuch as  today, May 20, 2023, is our 56th anniversary!

Congratulations!

Archived