SASS Wire Forum

New Toys for therapeutic reasons

John E. Law

Well, not many know and this is the first I've mentioned it on the wire but I've been battling cancer since January.  Prognosis was/ is good but the treatment for the type I have is one of the roughest to go through, and they weren't lying. I went from 209 lbs in January to 151 lbs this week. I'm on the road to recovery now and the chemo fog is lifting. (If you know you know). 

Well after going through this hell and the fact is my B-day next week I went looking for a present/reward for myself and find one but then another present also found me. 

I've wanted this first one since I bought my first gun. That was a S&W Model 686 that I still own and shoot regularly. That was on May 25th 1990, 3 days after my 21st B-day. Even though I wanted the other model i bought the 686 because it was just a more rounded gun and it was my first handgun,  but I've always wanted this exact gun. Well I found this the other day on gunbroker. It's a S&W Model 29-2, 6 1/2". Dirty Harry's gun! I bought the gun from the original gun shop who sold it to the one owner 40 years ago. I spoke with the gun shop owner who told me the original owner was a big gun guy who recently passed away. The man's wife brought his extensive collection in to sell as it was they were the only shop he'd ever dealt with. The shop owner told me he personally sold this gun to the man with a new 50rd box of ammo. He said the man went to their range out back and shot 4 cylinders through it. He said he cleaned it, boxed it up,  and took it home. The shop owner said never saw him shoot that gun again, but added he shot regularly.  When the wife brought the gun back in it came with that original box, all of the original paperwork and tools,  and the original box of ammo that still had the other 26rds left in it. The shop owner doesn't think the man ever shot it again. It is absolutely mint. There isn't even any wear on the inside of the frame from the cylinder pin.  I somehow won this it for $1335.00!!

Then Monday I went into work for a few hours. The first time since February.  One of my guys came into my office and said he acquired a couple guns through a family member that he had no use for. He went to give them to me but I insisted they were worth at least a few hundred each. He said he didn't want them but finally agreed to take $300 for the pair. One is a 1903 Colt 32acp hammerless and the other is a 1908 Colt 25acp. Both are in very good condition.  In the box, for some unknown reason, there was also 2 very old, full boxes, of Remington Kleenbore 22short in mint condition. Cool! Screenshot_20230515_212358_SamsungInternet.jpg.76f4ff26605028b0494462db24409443.jpg20230518_212147.thumb.jpg.b359570c2152800f3fa3e9819248c25a.jpg

JEL

I didn't know about your struggles with cancer. I certainly hope that the treatment eliminates it and that you recover in full. Been wondering where you and Shyster have been...now I know.:mellow:

Nice therapy tools. Always loved the Model 29 and that one looks like a good one. The Colts are nice also.

I'll give you a call this afternoon as I'm busy this morning with RO stuff at the range and other things.

Congratulations and best wishes on the cancer treatment. 

Wow.  Nice trifecta of guns.  I like the 1903 Colt best, and seriously regret getting rid of one a few years ago.  Enjoy!

3 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Congratulations and best wishes on the cancer treatment. 

Wow.  Nice trifecta of guns.  I like the 1903 Colt best, and seriously regret getting rid of one a few years ago.  Enjoy!

I couldn't sleep last night so I went into the gun room and cleaned up both of the Colts. They haven't been touched in a long time.  They were really sticky. They'd been sitting so long the lube was like syrup and they also came from a heavy smoker's house.  After cleaning I found they are both in very very good condition. The 1903 is a type 1 made in 1905 and the 1908 was made in 1927. The 1903 has almost all of its original bluing left on it with some minor pitting and the nickel on the 1907 only has some minor pitting in the slide serrations and under the grip panel. They nickel and bluing both shined up very well with just wiping the sticky goo off. The only downside I've found is on the 1908 where someone lightly pencil engraved their ss# into the frame. It's so light I can't make out the whole number but you can still see the "damage". I have some ammo coming Monday and can't wait to pop pop off a few rounds. 

JEL

Praying for you to get your strength back with a full recovery. Congrats on the fun stuff too!

14 hours ago, John E. Law said:

Well, not many know and this is the first I've mentioned it on the wire but I've been battling cancer since January.  Prognosis was/ is good but the treatment for the type I have is one of the roughest to go through, and they weren't lying. I went from 209 lbs in January to 151 lbs this week. I'm on the road to recovery now and the chemo fog is lifting. (If you know you know). 

Well after going through this hell and the fact is my B-day next week I went looking for a present/reward for myself and find one but then another present also found me. 

I've wanted this first one since I bought my first gun. That was a S&W Model 686 that I still own and shoot regularly. That was on May 25th 1990, 3 days after my 21st B-day. Even though I wanted the other model i bought the 686 because it was just a more rounded gun and it was my first handgun,  but I've always wanted this exact gun. Well I found this the other day on gunbroker. It's a S&W Model 29-2, 6 1/2". Dirty Harry's gun! I bought the gun from the original gun shop who sold it to the one owner 40 years ago. I spoke with the gun shop owner who told me the original owner was a big gun guy who recently passed away. The man's wife brought his extensive collection in to sell as it was they were the only shop he'd ever dealt with. The shop owner told me he personally sold this gun to the man with a new 50rd box of ammo. He said the man went to their range out back and shot 4 cylinders through it. He said he cleaned it, boxed it up,  and took it home. The shop owner said never saw him shoot that gun again, but added he shot regularly.  When the wife brought the gun back in it came with that original box, all of the original paperwork and tools,  and the original box of ammo that still had the other 26rds left in it. The shop owner doesn't think the man ever shot it again. It is absolutely mint. There isn't even any wear on the inside of the frame from the cylinder pin.  I somehow won this it for $1335.00!!

Then Monday I went into work for a few hours. The first time since February.  One of my guys came into my office and said he acquired a couple guns through a family member that he had no use for. He went to give them to me but I insisted they were worth at least a few hundred each. He said he didn't want them but finally agreed to take $300 for the pair. One is a 1903 Colt 32acp hammerless and the other is a 1908 Colt 25acp. Both are in very good condition.  In the box, for some unknown reason, there was also 2 very old, full boxes, of Remington Kleenbore 22short in mint condition. Cool! Screenshot_20230515_212358_SamsungInternet.jpg.76f4ff26605028b0494462db24409443.jpg20230518_212147.thumb.jpg.b359570c2152800f3fa3e9819248c25a.jpg

JEL

I have a thing for 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless pistols in .32.  Owned a bunch over the years and still have three and a M-08 3.80

Archived