SASS Wire Forum

Dent in front of plane

Stolen from the internet…..

“This is your captain speaking. That noise you just heard was a large bird hitting the nose of the plane. We have been granted first in line to land at our destination. Please put up your tray tables and fasten your seat belts” I was on this flight. I have a picture of the dent in the nose of the plane that I took after we got into the terminal

main-qimg-f6bd48afcbe4172d59148a17d0122c12

So, you insisted on taking your pet bird along, they wouldnt allow it in carry-on. You then had it fly along with the plane but forgot to explain landing proceedures to the bird and this happened. Glad all is well.

Imis

Dangit! So now I know what happened to the turkey I was supposed to get this year. I got two days left of Spring Turkey Season. 

In all seriousness, I am glad you’re okay and the plane landed safely @Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 :)

EDIT: I would love to hear the cockpit conversation as that bird hit before the Captain calmly announced the bird strike on the PA  :lol:

50 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

That noise you just heard was a large bird hitting the nose of the plane.

You know they call it a bird strike, but comparing the relative speeds, I'm more inclined to think that the plane hit the bird, than that the bird hit the plane.

Added: But like Sancho said, "Whether the stone hits the pitcher, or the pitcher hits the stone, it's going to be bad for the pitcher."

At least it didn't penetrate.

My Father wasn't so lucky.

Flying out of Kapuskasing, after WWII, in a RCAF Photo Mitchel, they had just taken off when they struck an Eagle,

It hit directly on the nose, punched through the Perspex nose canopy, knocking the three specially calibrated survey cameras off their mounts and filling the interior of the aircraft with blood, guts and feathers.

Dad's Flight Crew B-25 Mitchell .jpg

33 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

At least it didn't penetrate.

My Father wasn't so lucky.

Flying out of Kapuskasing, after WWII, in a RCAF Photo Mitchel, they had just taken off when they struck an Eagle,

It hit directly on the nose, punched through the Perspex nose canopy, knocking the three specially calibrated survey cameras off their mounts and filling the interior of the aircraft with blood, guts and feathers.

Dad's Flight Crew B-25 Mitchell .jpg

We need a Holy Cow emoji! Was anyone hurt?

Hey Cold Lake :rolleyes:

Take a closer look at the Photograph.  Da Boid went through da fuselage just below the windscreen.  There be blood and guts all over the back of the instrument clusters I betcha.  Probably all over the pilot's shoes too.  Just missed the Radar Nose Cover.  Gonna be some expensive to turn it around.

Some bunches of years ago, the Britts were doing a bunch of canopy material testing and developed a Pneumatic Cannon to fire Chicken carcass at aircraft canopies.  Our folks at NACA got wind of it and acquired a British Chicken Cannon.  

After extensive testing, the NACA Boffins expressed to the Britts the Chickens were going thru "everything."  The Britts replied our folks might want to "first" defrost the Chicken Carcass "Before" firing at the canopy.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Some bunches of years ago, the Britts were doing a bunch of canopy material testing and developed a Pneumatic Cannon to fire Chicken carcass at aircraft canopies.  Our folks at NACA got wind of it and acquired a British Chicken Cannon.  

After extensive testing, the NACA Boffins expressed to the Britts the Chickens were going thru "everything."  The Britts replied our folks might want to "first" defrost the Chicken Carcass "Before" firing at the canopy.

Usually it's told that we told the Brits to thaw the chickens. Mythbusters tested this three times. The first two, they seemed to bust the myth, but the third time they confirmed it.

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

We need a Holy Cow emoji! Was anyone hurt?

No, but Dad said his flight suit needed cleaning - inside and out!

They landed back at Kapuskasing, jury rigged and patched the nose Perspex and flew back to Ottawa for permanent repair and to have the NRC repair and re-calibrate the three camera mounts and the cameras.

Scary part he said was that in the nose, operating the cameras, he couldn't wear his parachute and things were a little............interesting before the pilot got the plane back on the ground.

He had a number of interesting things happen on that assignment, but when the cameras were running properly and didn't need attention, it was boring; flying from the Canada/US border to the Arctic Circle in strips 30 miles wide. Very precise navigation was required, to produce the photos from which detailed maps could be made.

When things were quiet and the cameras operating smoothly, the pilot, knowing Dad flew privately and had a Super Cub, parked at Rockcliffe), taught him how to fly the Mitchel. 

In today society and political environment, the pilot could be fined by the Audubon Society

and some nut will want his pilots license revoked.

:o

..........Widder

I’ve had several encounters with turkey buzzards and flocks of seagull-like birds that inhabit the central plains of Kansas and Nebraska.  You don’t see ‘em until just before impact, or they whizz by inches away. Fortunately the only impact was by a small bird on the leading edge of the wing. Left a baseball size dent though that required grounding of the plane until repaired. 

11 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

No, but Dad said his flight suit needed cleaning - inside and out!

They landed back at Kapuskasing, jury rigged and patched the nose Perspex and flew back to Ottawa for permanent repair and to have the NRC repair and re-calibrate the three camera mounts and the cameras.

Scary part he said was that in the nose, operating the cameras, he couldn't wear his parachute and things were a little............interesting before the pilot got the plane back on the ground.

He had a number of interesting things happen on that assignment, but when the cameras were running properly and didn't need attention, it was boring; flying from the Canada/US border to the Arctic Circle in strips 30 miles wide. Very precise navigation was required, to produce the photos from which detailed maps could be made.

When things were quiet and the cameras operating smoothly, the pilot, knowing Dad flew privately and had a Super Cub, parked at Rockcliffe), taught him how to fly the Mitchel. 

Canadian flag icon needed here. 

Archived