SASS Wire Forum

Kid Sopris

I asked on the Colt Forum. He was on there on May 3rd.

I want to verify that I am thinking about the correct person.

Gunsmith

Personal friend of Mike Venturino

Married to a Russian girl

Lives in Texas

From the Oregon Trail Rough Riders page on FB:

Nels Gandy - I was contacted by a friend of the family of Michael Veitch, (aka. Kid Sopris) and was informed that he recently passed away. Kid Sopris was a single action shooter and was living in Star, Idaho when he passed. It is also my understanding that he previously worked in law enforcement in California. I didn't know Kid Sopris but thought maybe some of our Club members may have known him.

A memorial service is being planned for Kid Sopris in July. For more information, please contact Carol Voss by email. Thanks,

Sincerely, Nels Gandy

30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Nope

Well hell. That's the way it is when you get old. You think you remember something, but you don't.

27 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

From the Oregon Trail Rough Riders page on FB:

Nels Gandy - I was contacted by a friend of the family of Michael Veitch, (aka. Kid Sopris) and was informed that he recently passed away. Kid Sopris was a single action shooter and was living in Star, Idaho when he passed. It is also my understanding that he previously worked in law enforcement in California. I didn't know Kid Sopris but thought maybe some of our Club members may have known him.

A memorial service is being planned for Kid Sopris in July. For more information, please contact Carol Voss by email. Thanks,

Sincerely, Nels Gandy

That's the one I saw.

Just want to verify it's true.

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

I want to verify that I am thinking about the correct person.

Gunsmith

Personal friend of Mike Venturino

Married to a Russian girl

Lives in Texas

You're thinking of Tom Sargis SASS aka Kid Yates

Yep, you are correct sir.

His alias has Kid in it, and his real last name is similar to the alias of the person that was asked about. And then we add in that I suffer from CRS, and it all makes sense.

This is indeed sad news if true that Kid Sopris has passed.  I was aquianted with him from back on the Belle Alley days and saw a post by him on the M14 forum in October 2020 and confirmed via PM that he was indeed the same person.  We shared some memories and photos with the Carolina Belles.  Here are two photos of him with the Belles from back in the day.  Checking on the M14 forum he last logged in there Janaury 29th of this year.

RIP Kid Sopris

image.jpeg.769545b512657f3c35db058026bc4dde.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.39e6cb321ad6297582305bf554059eb9.jpeg

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Any word bacķ?

This is from post 47 in the above thread.

image.thumb.png.1e3a37189cba4a2cda12ea3c5e34d720.png

We wrote together when Firelands was exclusively in Belle Alley.

He treated the subject of death of a friend, with kindness and with respect, and I could read the strength behind his words.

Sopris Mountain exists, in maps I've seen, and I count it my loss I never met the man in person.

Archived