SASS Wire Forum

Good Words

Subdeacon Joe

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Why would you want advice from someone stupid  desperate enough to go to you for advice? :huh:

Those people do not heed my advice. They always want money or my time or my resources. When I have asked for their time there is always something more important that they need to take care of. 

Which is why I grew up very independent and self reliant. Now that I live back here again those same people and their children and grandchildren come calling. I help them once. I do not expect anything in return. I may help them twice depending on how I feel about them and if they are trying to better themselves or they’re just leeches. I have a couple of great nieces that think they are crafty manipulators. They aren’t as crafty as Uncle Tom. I have taught one a couple of life lessons and she is trying to better herself. That makes me happy. 

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Those people do not heed my advice. They always want money or my time or my resources. When I have asked for their time there is always something more important that they need to take care of. 

I know a few people like that. I try to know less of them.

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

That sounded like a shot!

Was that a shot?

il_fullxfull.2111980329_lk5d.webp

"Those who stir the pot should have to lick the spoon."

In my experience most people don't want advice; they want absolution. They did their best; it wasn't their fault, right? Actually they didn't and it was.

The exception being when they are worried or desperate enough to pay for it. Even then they won't always listen...

9 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

In my experience most people don't want advice; they want absolution.

I've noticed a bit on some discussion boards. Someone will post a question, "Should I...?" or "What does the group think about...?, but when they don't get the answers they want, they will argue to try to get the group to just say, "Why YES, you're absolutely right! I don't know why nobody thought of that before!". 

10 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I know a few people like that. I try to know less of them.

My one niece, who I am getting to know more and more, is one that comes and asks what she should do about something then seems to do the complete opposite of what I told her she should consider. I talked with her the other day and she asked what she should do about buying a car. She sold hers for money to help her idiot boyfriend buy a quad. :blink:
I was brutally honest. I told her that whatever I tell her she won’t do so I am not going to bother. I also told her that as long as she keeps helping scum-boy to buy toys I will not bother. I am pretty sure the conversation was leading yo her asking for money to buy a car. That ain’t happening. 

7 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've noticed a bit on some discussion boards. Someone will post a question, "Should I...?" or "What does the group think about...?, but when they don't get the answers they want, they will argue to try to get the group to just say, "Why YES, you're absolutely right! I don't know why nobody thought of that before!". 

I see that a lot as well. One forum I frequent the guys there tend to call people out on that stuff. I personally give advice but end with the statement “Your money, your call.”

Years ago one forum I was in for a short time there were guys that would encourage people to screw up then berate them soundly and with great glee later on when something didn’t work out. There were a bunch of passive aggressive douchebags on that forum. 

My first problem is that I have decent answers to almost any question but no one is asking the right questions.

My second problem is that when I ask questions I often get a lot of good answers and then have to sift through them to find out which works best for me.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My first problem is that I have decent answers to almost any question but no one is asking the right questions.

My second problem is that when I ask questions I often get a lot of good answers and then have to sift through them to find out which works best for me.

I also have plenty of answers to questions nobody asked.

As to your second point, that response shows that you're smarter than 90% of the internet.

Archived