SASS Wire Forum

Struck One Out

Subdeacon Joe

During our stay in Pacific Beach, there was a perv flying his drone along the watch and taking videos of the girls.
A fisherman on Crystal Pier took umbrage with this drone, and snagged it with a cast and brought it down.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

During our stay in Pacific Beach, there was a perv flying his drone along the watch and taking videos of the girls.
A fisherman on Crystal Pier took umbrage with this drone, and snagged it with a cast and brought it down.

Hope it got dragged thru the water while he reeled it in. Hope he recovered his lure or bait. That would have a waste!

Unfortunately, drones are aircraft.  ALL drones.  So bringing on down is a felony;

Under Title 18 US Code 32, the destruction of aircraft is a federal crime. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) classifies all types of drones as “aircraft.” Even recreational flyers are required to follow FAA regulations for flying in uncontrolled airspace.

Along with being charged with a federal crime, an individual who shoots down a drone may be charged with one or more state or local crimes. For example, many jurisdictions consider firing a weapon in public a form of criminal mischief. In some areas, the individual may also be charged with endangering the public or property crimes.

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I guess it would have to be a foul ball, wouldn’t it?

I’ve hit birds while driving on three different occasions.

The first one destroyed the grill on my brand new, (less than 200 miles) 1975 Nova SS.  That one cost me $75.00 and an hour’s labor.  Didn’t do the bird any good either…

The third one was in Ol’ Green, several years ago. It didn’t do any damage to the truck. Can’t say the same for the bird.  It DID take some work to get it out of the slot in the bumper.

I saved the second incident for last.  I was at Beech Bend Raceway Park in 1988. We were racing in competition with my open cockpit, rear engine dragster. Just as I crossed the finish line, I hit a medium sized grey and white bird. It clipped the wind screen and exploded against the bottom of my helmet and my chest, knocking the wind out of me and sending bird parts and feathers and gore in every direction!

I’d just pulled the chute and hit neutral when it happened and was able to apply the brakes and hit the turnoff before I greyed out.  

My partner and the crew arrived in the chase truck as I was finally getting my breath and my wits back, but I wasn’t ready to move around much.  They were pretty upset ‘til I flipped up the shield on my helmet and started fumbling with the harness release.

Musta’ looked pretty gory when they got that first glance!  My chest hurt for days after that and the cleanup was nasty!  We all think it was a pigeon, but nobody bothered to really check it out.

Two car bird strikes I'm aware of.

Daddy came home from work one time with what appeared to be a sparrow wrapped around the radio antenna. He hit it and it just bent - the bird bent not the antenna.

And there used to be a photograph of Daddy standing in front of his brand new '54 Oldsmobile Delta 88. It had a large hole in the windshield, and he was holding a mallard drake by the wings. He said the car was parked, and the bird just flew smack into the windshield. I asked him what if they did with the bird, because that's the kind of question that a five-year-old asks. He said Mama cooked it for supper. :D

In all the years that I TRIED to hit birds with rocks and other stuff, I only managed to get it done a few times and only ever killed one that I know of.  It was a starling.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Unfortunately, drones are aircraft.  ALL drones.  So bringing on down is a felony;

So is being a peeping tom.

I don't have a dog in that fight, so it matters not a whit to me about the consequences of him bringing it down.
This was suspected as the same drone that was looking into women's windows in the area.

If the drone pilot is also a registered sex offender, this would explain why he did not pursue felony charges against the fisherman.

I'll tell ya what, considering where I live; if drone comes checking out my windows or me in the yard it's comin down!!

I wonder if I could get a drone and use it to hunt drones.  :o

Got bald eagle at certain times of the year. Lots of them at Lynx Lake, six or so miles from here, but not many this year.  First year we were here there were an estimated 300+ there.  Spectacular to watch.  

Had a male sitting on the ground under my flag pole one morning.  By the time I got my camera he had gone. 

Archived