SASS Wire Forum

I'm out of touch

Alpo

I was wandering around the web this morning, and came upon an article about 12 famous celebrities who had done stuff so heinous that they had lost their fan base. 12 FAMOUS celebrities.

The first one was Bill Cosby. I know Cosby. His movies, his TV, his albums.

About halfway down the list was Bert Farve, or maybe that was Brett Favre. I've heard of him. I think he was a football player. I don't know what he did, but at least I've heard of him.

And number 12 is Kevin Spacey. Again, I've heard of him. I'm pretty sure he's an actor. But I couldn't call up a TV show or movie and positively announce YEAH, HE WAS IN THAT. And I don't know what terrible thing he did to lose his fan base.

So we have 12 famous celebrities, and I've heard of three of them.

https://soberhealing.com/celebrities-whose-fanbase-diminished/#more-7374

I've pretty much been out of touch with contemporary "culture" for decades.  People talk about a television show, a movie, a singer and I have no idea what they are talking about.  "What do you mean you don't know who that is?"  Well, gee, since I don't watch much network television, don't go to see movies, and listen to oldies or classical stations on the radio in the car, I'm not exposed to them outside television commercials or FB.

Heck, I didn't even watch "Friends" or "Seinfeld."  

On that list, besides the ones you mentioned, I've heard of R-Kelly (what the hell is it with the stupid names like that?) only because he was mentioned for months on end on the radio news I listened to on my way to work.  
And "Dr. Dre" is a name (again, what's with the weird name?) I've heard.  Not sure why, but was in the news about something.

I know a little about Farve and Cosby. I've heard the names of six more. The other four, never heard of. My gal watches tv often and will remark on some idiot that thinks they're famous, my response is always "Who?".

It seems like when I'm reading news channels, there is always some "influencer" in the news somehow. Just what the hell is an "influencer" anyway and why should I care what they do?

I don't think that I'm "out of touch". I just don't give a **** about self important people.

PLUS ONE for Cypress Sun.

I have a "Big Screen" mounted up on the wall.  I watch a few sports, Disney+ and Prime.  I watch ZERO broadcast TV.  Broadcast TV is just a total wasteland.

Looked at the list, some I've heard of, some I haven't.

Kevin Spacey has been accused by multiple people of sexually assaulting young men and under age teens.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Cypress Sun.

I have a "Big Screen" mounted up on the wall.  I watch a few sports, Disney+ and Prime.  I watch ZERO broadcast TV.  Broadcast TV is just a total wasteland.

You watch sports??? Golf?? Table tennis? Pickle ball??:P:P

25 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Just what the hell is an "influencer" anyway

I had someone try to tell me that it's just like the older "get a celebrity to endorse something" ad campaigns. Nope, at least those where people who were recognizable even of lots of people couldn't name them.  From what I've gathered, "influencers" are grifters who try to browbeat companies into giving them free goods or services in exchange for favorable comments on Yelp and their "I have 500 followers on my blog!"

Which brings up, how the heck did Yelp get to be THE place to go for reviews of restaurants, hotels, etc?  

54 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I know a little about Farve and Cosby. I've heard the names of six more. The other four, never heard of. My gal watches tv often and will remark on some idiot that thinks they're famous, my response is always "Who?".

It seems like when I'm reading news channels, there is always some "influencer" in the news somehow. Just what the hell is an "influencer" anyway and why should I care what they do?

I don't think that I'm "out of touch". I just don't give a **** about self important people.

So many are famous just becuase they have the means to put themselves in the public eye.

I give you the Kardashian (SP. but who cares?) family as a prime example.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I was wandering around the web this morning, and came upon an article about 12 famous celebrities who had done stuff so heinous that they had lost their fan base. 12 FAMOUS celebrities.

The first one was Bill Cosby. I know Cosby. His movies, his TV, his albums.

About halfway down the list was Bert Farve, or maybe that was Brett Favre. I've heard of him. I think he was a football player. I don't know what he did, but at least I've heard of him.

And number 12 is Kevin Spacey. Again, I've heard of him. I'm pretty sure he's an actor. But I couldn't call up a TV show or movie and positively announce YEAH, HE WAS IN THAT. And I don't know what terrible thing he did to lose his fan base.

So we have 12 famous celebrities, and I've heard of three of them.

https://soberhealing.com/celebrities-whose-fanbase-diminished/#more-7374

I know 6, the others I'm not familiar with at all!!

Hey, I just realized that I am in touch with a lot of out of touch people and I am in very good company. ;)

From that list I am very familiar with the work of Bill Cosbee and Kevin Spaceballs. I have heard of Niki Menaj and Brett Fav-ra. Misspelling is on purpose. 

This has happened to me numerous times, but most recently at a Walmart checkout line I was looking at the inane magazines displayed at the checkout aisle for those that impulse buy those sorts of things. 
A lady be hind us, I was with my wife, said “What do you think about so&so ? I think he’s wonderful.” Apparently referred to an actor on one of those magazines.

I smiled and said “Sorry, I don’t know anything about him.”

”What? Really? You haven’t heard of (so and so)?!

”Nope. Sorry.”

”That’s amazing. I think you’re the first person I have met that doesn’t know who he is. Don’t you watch TV shows or the news? He’s everywhere!”

I was trying to be nice and not tell this nice lady what I really thought as she was just trying to have a conversation. 
I smiled and pointed at my own head and said “He’s not in here and that’s just fine with me.” I motioned toward all the magazines on the display and said “I literally do not know about and do not care about anyone on the covers of these magazines except for former President Trump. These people mean the same to me as I am sure I mean to them. Nothing! And that is fine with me. My life is too short to get caught up in the drama of others. Why should I get emotional about these inane people?”

She batted her eyes probably trying to develop a response and then she just stood there staring at me for a couple of seconds and then she said “Wow. Okay. I never looked at it that way.” Then she smiled. 
As we were finishing up at the check out I turned and wished her a wonderful day and we left. 
Hopefully I have her something to think about. 

I started to rack my brain while I was writing this to see if I could possibly remember who we were discussing but decided I didn’t care then and I don’t care now. ;)

51 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You watch sports??? Golf?? Table tennis? Pickle ball??:P:P

What in the heck is “pickle ball”?

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Less exercise than a 6 stage match.:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've pretty much been out of touch with contemporary "culture" for decades.  People talk about a television show, a movie, a singer and I have no idea what they are talking about.  "What do you mean you don't know who that is?"  Well, gee, since I don't watch much network television, don't go to see movies, and listen to oldies or classical stations on the radio in the car, I'm not exposed to them outside television commercials or FB.

Heck, I didn't even watch "Friends" or "Seinfeld."  

On that list, besides the ones you mentioned, I've heard of R-Kelly (what the hell is it with the stupid names like that?) only because he was mentioned for months on end on the radio news I listened to on my way to work.  
And "Dr. Dre" is a name (again, what's with the weird name?) I've heard.  Not sure why, but was in the news about something.

I'm with you.  You mention any "personality" that became such after the early 80s and I have no clue as to whom you are talking about.  I guess as far as Hollyweird and the world of entertainment I do live under a rock.

We dropped TV 15 years ago when I retired and we moved to the country.  We have not missed it, and though we haven't discussed it, both our kids have mostly done the same thing.  We rarely even watch movies from our collection.  One of the smartest decisions we ever made.

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s a real thing!!it’s played on a smaller tennis court with a smaller racquet. I can’t figure out how to put a link from my phone but google it and you’ll see.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:08 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

https://usapickleball.org/what-is-pickleball/

Archived