SASS Wire Forum

Well, *#%! •UPDATED 6/29•

******6/29 UPDATE******

Today marks 5 weeks since they pried me open. Hard to believe as these past weeks have been one big blur. I look at myself in the mirror and wonder what, when and how all this happened as it seems so surreal. 

Everything went according to plan with a couple of curveballs during surgery which were relatively easily resolved. 8 days in the hospital  which is the longest stay I’ve ever had. They say rest is the best thing for recovery, but they kept waking me up every 1-2 hours to poke and prod. :huh:

Recovery has been a bit of a slog so far, but that’s to be expected at this point. There have been some breakthrough days however, where improvement is more noticeable. Docs have been giving my recovery rave reviews which is always encouraging. My biggest complaint is a really sore rib cage, but that’s getting better too. Rehab starts next week, but I’m already able to walk approx. 3/4 of a mile twice a day, weather permitting. Dang it’s hot here!

The best news is I’m able to write this report!  Plus, the long term prognosis is 100% recovery without limitations or lifestyle changes. That’s gonna be a number of months, but nothing to complain about. I’ve been blessed in so many ways. 

My best to you all, pards. Drinks are on me!

******5/17 Original Post******

Went in for angiogram today to verify results of cardio calcium score. Just a precaution because I’m asymptomatic for anything else. Full disclosure, on a scale of 0-400, with 400 being bad, I got a 1,535. I win! No way to tell what that really meant without the catheter procedure. Could be something, could be nothing. 

So I go in expecting to come out with a stent, at worst.  After all, I’m in otherwise excellent health, 6’ tall and and a trim 175 lbs. for my 70 years. Instead, I won the triple bypass jackpot. 

Gonna have that done this Tuesday 5/23. 5-7 days in hospital. The worst of it is no shooting for 3 months.  I know a number of you have BTDT, so I’m just commiserating a bit. 

Spent the entire day getting all the pre procedure tests done and still trying to process today’s events. The silver lining is all the test results are otherwise good. The most important thing is this was caught early, which makes recovery relatively easy and a likely superb long term outcome. 

Best wishes on a good outcome Pard.

They've got really good at doing this, so don't fret it.

My Dad was 83 when he had a quadruple and we had him for another 13 years thereafter.

That was 27 years ago now, so they've come even farther in technique etc.

Stay positive.

We will be praying here for you.

Prayers for a successful surgery and quick and complete recovery

SLIM,

here's wishing you well and a good recovery.

I had a double bypass and Aorta valve replacement about 2 1/2 years back.

I was 70 then and about 185..... and otherwise in good health.

Don't rush your recovery..... just do as the doctor advices.

Expect early morning surgery and you should be sitting up in your bed having an afternoon meal

about 1500 or 1600.

P.S. - I hope you get 'Juanita' or 'Rose' for a nurse......... and not Butch!

..........Widder

We’re sending all those prayers that you offered on our behalf back with some of our own!  We know that these worked and can do wonders!!

Slim, though I wish you didn’t have to do this but I am so glad they caught it now. I will keep you in mind in my nightly prayer.

By the way, what are you going to do with your winnings?

I hear some of these places will give you 3 days and 2 nights of rest and relaxation with staff catering to your needs with meals in bed and other accoutrements to make your stay memorable. One of the problems I have heard about these getaway packages is they’re so eager to please they’ll wake you every couple of hours to check on you and offer things to help make you more comfortable. A bonus is they often give you nifty gift bags on your exit from the facility and they roll you out yo your conveyance in a small chariot so you don’t have to walk. Another plus is they arrange for you to get other gifts from exclusive businesses that cater to elite vacationers like yourself. These  include medications and other things to help you stay comfortable after your pampered getaway. :)

Based on what PR just stated above, here is something else to remember:

AFTER they take the catheter out, DO NOT hesitate to get to the bathroom once the urge

to 'P' comes.    You'll only get that brief warning and shortly thereafter..... if you ain't hovering

over the potty, it'll be too late.    The 'urge' means 'urgent'.

And when you are 70 years old and recovering from heart surgery..... nothing is embarrassing.

And tell 'Rose' that I still have her name tatoo'd on my butt..... :lol:

..........Widder

Prayers heading up for ya Slim. May you have a successful surgery and quick complete recovery.

OP,
Been there done that.
If you can, rent one of those electric beds that lift up so you can get out of bed easier.

You have to do EVERYTHING without using your arms for a month after they crack your chest.

Buy an 18-pack of plain white wash cloths and the recommended body wash.
Use each cloth only a single area (sternum or leg) then wash and bleach.
This regimen will keep you free of infection.

The bad news at this time of year is allergies and sneezing.
Coughing and sneezing with a healing sternum is not at all pleasant.
If allergies are a problem for you, look into a 3M respirator to wear in the house during your waking hours.

Your sleeping hours will be turned upside down for a month.
Make a nest in the front room couch where you can hang you legs over the couch arm to keep them above your heart level.
A CPAP is mandatory for me, as I cannot sleep on my back without it.

You will be told to sleep ONLY on your back for the first month.
Daily exercise is your friend... even if only 10 steps to start.
Walking and dusting the house are the motions that will heal you up quick.
NO heavy lifting... repeat NONE.
If you fracture your sternum... the results can be catastrophic.  If you survive it.

Prayers up and best of luck on your upcoming surgery Slim.  Had a quadruple bypass in 2012, and for a while afterwards daily life was definitely different.  On the bright side, because you are having a bypass, not a stent, you won't have to take blood thinners, just a daily aspirin.  At least that's what my surgeon and cardiologist told me.  Haven't had any heart problems since then.

Cumulative 8‑year survival rate was 95% in patients with a low (<100) CAC score, 90% in patients with a CAC score between 100 and 400, and 82% in patients with a high (400 units or higher) CAC score. So it is not a death sentence to have a high score.

Don't buy any green bananas.

Yup. I got the score 3 years ago. A recent stress test though, which was part of my annual exam, wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either. By themselves, neither result was a compelling reason to do the angiogram. But taken together is why we took a closer look yesterday. The score was the deciding factor. Coulda been something, coulda been nothing. Glad we looked, because it was something. 

BTW, I haven’t bought any green bananas in decades. :D

You've already gotten sound and accurate firsthand experience already, can offer neither more nor better.

Planted my patellae into the pile on your behalf and will continue to stand up on my Prayer Bones for you!

Rehab is helpful.  5 months out and I still sleep with my heart pillow, don’t need it, just do.   Told my cardiologist yesterday I’m tired all the time but do walk etc and was told to give it time.  Still losing weight a little at a time.  Finally feel better than I did before the surgery.  

When you can visit Springfield, I prescribe a range session at least one hour long at Cherokee Firearms, followed by a burger at Red's.  My treat!

That is great news Slim. :)

Keep on doing what you’re doing. Maybe this is a little late but Lidocaine patches work wonders on sore ribs. Salonpas makes over the counter ones with 4% Lidocaine and / or your doctor can prescribe 5% Lidocaine patches if Lidocaine will not affect you negatively. Ask your doctor before trying. 

I am 9 months and a few days post 4x bypass.
It does indeed get better, and is indeed a long and slow slog.

I'm walking 6 miles daily now, can barely see the incision anymore and doing well.
Doc said 6 months before rifles or shotguns, but I'm waiting 12 months just to be certain.

Mebbe Josie Wales is in the cards for me during the interim.

Many thanks for the update and delighted at the grand prognosis!

You have my understanding and my complete sympathy about the ribs.

War story omitted as yours beats mine seven ways from Sunday!

Archived