SASS Wire Forum

Hard Gun Case Recommendation Needed

John Ray Davis

Howdy J.R.,

The case you show looks very much like the ones they sell/sold at Harbor Freight even to the decompression valve. Instead of the egg crate style foam the Harbor Freight version has cross hatched foam that pulls out in sections to create a "custom fit". Not the best solution, but it will allow a rifle, shotgun and a couple of sixguns with careful positioning. I should mention that the cases are pretty heavy even when empty. The wheels help.

Rev. Chase

Have used several cases.  I really like a Pelican big enough to cut in recesses for all 4 of my main match guns.   But, that will be north of $250.  Very rugged, very easy to open and close.  When you see US military operations on the news, often the cases are Pelican.

Have used several of the TIG welded aluminum cases.  About same price, just feel like they are not quite as strong, and often difficult to latch. 

I try not to use the thin poly-blow-formed single gun cases.  The latches and hinges are just waiting to dump guns on the pavement or ground.  And the soft fabric cases are only good enough to walk a gun from vehicle to range.  But not good enough to protect a gun if it is dropped or something dropped on top of the case.

Picking a good case depends upon what level of protection you want, how heavy a case you are willing to tote, and gun lengths.   The more you pay, the heavier the case and the more protection it will probably provide.  The more common cases all have replacement foam available in a "pick and pull" scored design.  Worth it if you don't have an electric carving knife to slice up the recesses.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy J.R.,

The case you show looks very much like the ones they sell/sold at Harbor Freight even to the decompression valve. Instead of the egg crate style foam the Harbor Freight version has cross hatched foam that pulls out in sections to create a "custom fit". Not the best solution, but it will allow a rifle, shotgun and a couple of sixguns with careful positioning. I should mention that the cases are pretty heavy even when empty. The wheels help.

Rev. Chase

I have the Harbor Freight case, bought it on sale for very good price. Got it several years ago for in case I ever fly to a match but have not yet done so.  Seems well made.  With 4 guns you will probably want wheels! I have flown with a Cabellas pistol case that is well made but not sure if they make a larger model. 

3 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

My case looks exactly like this (just in black). I guess that it's sold by different stores under different brands. The case is reasonably priced but it does the job for me. Sure, if you spend more money you can get a better case.

As the Reverend mentioned, it is heavy! And sometimes you encounter stairs or grounds you cannot wheel.

The cross hatched middle layer foam is worthless when you try to fit multiple guns in it. I transport a SxS, rifle, and three 8" Remingtons in it. The rest of the foam bricks just fell apart. I bought a cheap foam in a DIY store and cut the contours with a knive. What a mess.... I am currently looking for a quality foam to make an inlay.

We fly quite a bit and use skb cases.  We can fit 4 long guns and 2 pistols in each and are just at the 50 lb max for Southwest to consider it one of our two free checked bags.

20210721_210209.thumb.jpg.771a90dca943513a95016e8fa82f4a21.jpg

I second the Harbor Freight-2 rifles 1 sxs and 2 pistols...I replaced the pick and pull with some high density foam like pool noodles are made of that I found, and glued it in to the config I wanted. Throw it in the back of the pickup for the ride to the shoot-easier than having them all loose in the back seat.

I use a Plano GunGuard. I took out the egg crate foam, cut memory foam mattress topper to fit top & bottom. I put shotgun, rifle, pistol, layer of foam, then another shotgun, rifle, & pistol. Each gun in its own borestore cover. It’s a tight fit. But guns are well protected, don’t move at all in case. It is heavy, but has wheels. All my guns in one case just make it easier for me. 

It really depends on how you plan to use it.  Just packing in a car or truck to travel to shoots.  Plan on flying so checking in at airports for travel.  Size of your vehicle space to accept the cases.  Etc, Etc.

The trunk of my small car does not allow space for my guncart and hard gun cases so all of my longuns are in soft cases.  Have flown several times over the years and started with non-wheeled cases that I had to strap to a fold up dolly, then I got a hard case with wheels and it was so much easier.  I have not flown in years and now drive everywhere so soft cases only.

It depends a bit on what you want to do with it.  Is it for airline travel, auto?  Cabelas sells hard sided gun cases that will hold rifle, pistols and shotgun, manufactured by Boyt.  It has wheels and is very sturdy.  The problem with it is that at 24 or 25 lbs the case alone makes it difficult to fit in all the guns and not pay an excess baggage fee when flying.  I have used a Plano hard sided case for the rifle and shotgun and it held up well for airline travel.  I like Pelican cases, but they are expensive.

Just another thing to consider - IF you are getting the case for air travel; consider the weight very carefully.

Once you pass the 50lb mark - airline surcharges go up in a hurry.

A rifle, shotgun, two pistols, cartridge ammo AND a heavy duty case have no problem breaking 50lbs.

I have a Pelican with wheels that I use when I fly that runs close to 70lbs fully loaded.

Not a deal breaker - but every dollar adds up.

For travel, I have seen folks use the hard cases made for golf clubs. They are extremely tough and do not shout "gun". They are also airline approved ones. Also look for used cases for musical instruments. Slap some stickers that are non-gun related on them.

i use the pelicans but have had some others mentioned - all good , i do second the wheels are good comment , im really glad mine have them , the cases get heavy when loaded 

Pelican cases are the toughest and most expensive.  We once lost a case full of camera equipment on the highway at about 70 mph and the cameras were fine.   remember is anyone can break it, the police will.  Also try the Cabela's Armor Xtreme Lite Double Long-Gun Case...less costly but very well made.  I have used the Cabelas case when traveling to Alaska and the experts in luggage have not damaged the case or contents.  Contents normally included: rifle, handgun, optics, knives and  ammo.

My hunting buddy uses a hard golf club case for airline travel made by SKB for his firearms.  

On 5/17/2023 at 9:27 AM, Totes Magoats said:

I won't let her use my power tools and she won't let me use hers.  :D

Totes

TM, Would like to see her/your finished product with the guns installed, just for reference on the V730.  Is your rifle 20" or shorter?

1 hour ago, Tennessee River said:

TM, Would like to see her/your finished product with the guns installed, just for reference on the V730.  Is your rifle 20" or shorter?

my rifle is 18”. They make both a smaller and larger version of The Vault case. 

IMG_8327.jpeg

I use the Harbor Freight case Abilene describes and have had really good luck with it. I bought it on sale as well. I didn't like the foam that it comes with (the kind from which you remove cubes of material to create the cavities), so I purchased some custom-sized solid inserts from Carolina Custom Foam and carved out the cavities like Totes (or Ginger) did, except I used a filet knife rather than an electric carving knife.

• 2 weeks later...

ive got five - locked cases - one has shotguns , another rirles , the third has my sharps and a long shotgun for long range and cowboy trap , the next has my handguns and the last has my 22s intended for the grandkids sass activities that ive all but given up on , i like em and i shoot em , so i keep em , 

The electric carving knife works best in my experience.  Additional foam slabs are available and cheap.  I have several slabs with different cut-out patterns for different sets of guns for different purposes.  For example, one slab is for a pair of scoped hunting rifles plus the large-bore revolver I carry when hunting.  One slab is for a pair of shotguns I take when duck or dove hunting.  I also have a pistol hard case set up for the two handguns I most often travel with.  All set-ups have spaces for all of the accoutrements and accessories.

My vote is for Pelican.  I've made numerous flights with two long guns and two short gun with no damage.  It seems that even the airlines can't damage the case or the contents.

Archived