SASS Wire Forum

Hodgdon International Powder Help

Buckshot Bear

G'day Pards,

Powder is still a real problem down here in Australia. I've just about used up my favourite powder AP50N that I have used forever in so many calibers :(

I have some AS50N that looking at this ADI powder equivalent chart has the same burning rate as 'International' -

wre.thumb.JPG.cde3925756208c6bceede17e2fcd3ef9.JPG

But Hodgen sells a lot of 'Clays' just want to make sure that the below is the powder they're talking about in the above chart?

Capture.JPG.9dca5e9ad626ca2518c3ae4715f6240d.JPG

Has anyone loaded .38spl for cowboy using a 125gr projectile and Hodgen 'International' ?

4.3 (872 fps) to 4.7 (1.036 fps) for 38 spec according Hodgdon Cowboy Manuel.     GW

Sorry wrong info.   Had Universal in head , not International      GW

Since that's equivalent to "International" Clays I don't think Universal Clays data would be applicable.  I've used International Clays a good bit for SG powder but never for pistol loads.  I looked on Hodgdon's load data website and did not see any load data for International Clays for .38sp.

Kajun

18 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Since that's equivalent to "International" Clays I don't think Universal Clays data would be applicable.  I've used International Clays a good bit for SG powder but never for pistol loads.  I looked on Hodgdon's load data website and did not see any load data for International Clays for .38sp.

Kajun

It's confusing KK that there are three (3) different Clays.....yes the Clays that is the equivalent is the 'International'. 

56 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

It's confusing KK that there are three (3) different Clays.....yes the Clays that is the equivalent is the 'International'. 

I use all 3 of the Clays types.  Regular Clays for SG and cartridges, Universal Clays for cartridges and International Clays for SG.  If you go the Hodgdon's load data website https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center and look up your data there you can find what you are looking for.  I just don't see any load data for .38sp for International Clays.....sorry.

Kajun

The only load I can find for 38 Special with International is for 158 grain lead:
158 LEAD SWC INTERNATIONAL  Min 3.0 gr. 798 f/s  12,400 psi   Max  3.5 gr. 903 f/s  16,100 psi

You can use that as a start and compare it with other bullet weights.  It will give faster loads than regular Clays.

Don't trust a burn chart, especially a "rough equivalent" chart like you quoted, to tell you that load data will be the same for two powders.  It does not even come close to that.

good luck, GJ

Did some reading and back in the late 90s and very early 2000s, Hodgdon listed pistol load data for International. Seems a lot of shooters were experiencing pressure spikes and erratic behavior, so Hodgdon removed all the pistol load data from their manuals.

My recommendation is to avoid International in pistol calibers.

I've spoken to BB  through messenger re the ADI  AS50 which is your International equivalent & as has been said there is no load data for pistol .

In saying that I have loaded some for  my OM Vaquero .45's some years back...worked ok. 

On 5/15/2023 at 5:47 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Here is Hodgdon's online data.

image.thumb.png.b7959be9670c0aea8a12e2845046f677.png

The OP is asking about International Clays, your post is for Universal Clays

17 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

The OP is asking about International Clays, your post is for Universal Clays

My oversight - thanks for the correction.

@Major Crimes ....Sadly I did a couple of weeks or so ago :( 

This is what they wrote to me -

Unfortunately we have nothing in the forecast to suggest we are manufacturing APS or Trail Boss in 2023.

We just haven’t been able to manufacture a product in that range that passes quality inspections.

Our R&D team continue to work on both variants but at this stage, I’m unable to give insurance that product will be manufactured in 2023.

Kind regards

Daniel JOHNSON

Sales Manager

Australian Munitions

In case folks haven't noticed, the world governments have GREATLY stepped up their efforts to  ban guns and shooting.

The U.S. S. A. Premier has had our government use purchase contracts to limit access to ammunition. 

If they sell to government, they are banned (unconstitutionally) from selling to the public.

They are using "safety" standards to restrict making powder.

They are redefining gun accessories as firearms and even machine guns.  And prosecuting people who even advertise about some products that were formally declared legal.

One of their "best tactics" is to merely change definitions to what they want.  And they can use their new definition against us. 

Such words as "man, woman, gun, firearm, machine gun, pedophile, safe, effective" etc.  Not to get really political, just factual.

Archived