SASS Wire Forum

Jellies - What is, or was, your favorite?

Cypress Sun

Forty Rod's thread on the PBJ made me think of the jellies I used to like, still do. When I was growing up, jellies were (to me) a treat at breakfast. Loved it on toast or sandwiches.

I loved, still do, guava jelly. When I was a kid, Palmalito, out of Palmetto, Florida, made the best guava jelly. I'll never forget, we used to go on a vacation together with family friends for a week at a bungalow in Anna Maria Island, slept on a mat on the floor...great times...seriously!

Anyway, someone bought a large gallon can of guava jelly. That toaster worked overtime and they had to go back for bread everyday!

Bought some guava jelly, supposedly made by Palmalito, wasn't even close to the same. Oh well.

My other favorites are Apple Butter and Grape jam. All of my PBJ's were, and still are, made with grape jelly.

Kind of hungry now for a Grape and cheddar cheese sandwich...grape jelly is the only one available and the expiration date may be somewhat questionable.

What are your favorite jellies? 

My very favorite “jelly” is strawberry preserves. I know preserves aren’t jellies, but that’s my favorite jelly type stuff. :D

I’m not a big fan of jellies.  It’s kinda’ like somebody took all the good stuff out and just left a little flavor and a bunch of sugar.

I dig jams and preserves.  The “meat” of the fruit, those seeds In blackberry, the bits of skin in Damson plum, cinnamon/apple, and cherry jams and preserves are an essential, (to me) part of the experience.

Tiny bits of comb in all natural, regionally produced honey are just an added bit of pleasure.

To answer the OP’s question as nearly as I can, red raspberry jam, with the seedy texture, is probably my favorite.  Dark sourwood honey is my favorite product to add to a peanut butter sandwich.

As I said in the PBJ thread, I have half of a walk-in pantry shelf dedicated to jams and preserves.

FA1FFF17-AF5E-4472-B003-4D87E1331BCB.jpeg

Jam.  Blackberry.  'Nuf said.  ;)

When I was a kid in Washington (early Sixties), Ma would hand me a couple of buckets and send me out to pick wild berries.  When I'd bring 'em home, she'd dump 'em into a bigger bucket and send me back out.  That evening there would be fresh jam (in addition to dozens of jars!) to pile onto hot, home made bread right outta the oven.  ^_^

For strictly jelly, pomegranate first, then rosehip, then plum.

If we are going to lump in jams and preserves, then pomegranate jelly, apricot jam, orange and lemon marmalade, plum jam and preserves, strawberry jam/preserves ( face it, when cooked down there may not be much difference in texture).

36 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

13184.thumb.jpeg.d769572671dcd6791465109da9607784.jpeg

This^^^^^^^

Only one jelly that I eat - Mayhaw.

Every else is preserves - Strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, apricot, and fig, in no particular order.

One exception. When I was a kid, my grandma would take us 8 miles north of town to a place where sand plums grew wild, near Dover, OK. She would send us out with buckets, and we'd pick the plums out of thickets. We'd head back home and she made the best Plum jam I've ever eaten. She's make some cathead biscuits, and we'd slather them down with butter and jam, while the biscuits were still steaming. That was a little bit of heaven.

52 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Jam.  Blackberry.  'Nuf said.  ;)

When I was a kid in Washington (early Sixties), Ma would hand me a couple of buckets and send me out to pick wild berries.  When I'd bring 'em home, she'd dump 'em into a bigger bucket and send me back out.  That evening there would be fresh jam (in addition to dozens of jars!) to pile onto hot, home made bread right outta the oven.  ^_^

My mom's home made blackberry! YUM!!!!

As a kid, I couldn't get enough of apple jelly.  Mom always obliged, as it was pretty much the cheapest on the shelf.

In the mid 70's, mom went through a phase where she tried most every baking and canning recipe she could find.  We had blackberry jam, strawberry preserves, wild cherry jam, peach preserves, and apricot preserves.  She also made orange and lime marmalades.  

Currently, I am satisfied to find apricot preserves on the shelf of the grocery store.

Strawberry or Raspberry jam.

Orange Marmalade on English muffins.

I really didn't think about it as preserves or jam. I always called preserves, jams, jellies and the like jelly. Now that I think about it, most of the stuff that I like is preserves, not jelly.

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

When I was a kid, my grandma would take us 8 miles north of town to a place where sand plums grew wild, near Dover, OK.

I had to look those up!  Thanks.  I thought that they were just plums that had reverted back to the non-hybrid root stock.  

https://plants.usda.gov/DocumentLibrary/plantguide/pdf/pg_pran3.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_angustifolia

Those things are right tasty!  I've made batches of some sort of jelly/jam/preserve from them.  Great right off the tree, too.  There are some long Ducker Creek in the mobile home park I live in, I think I'm the only one to pick any of the fruit.  

I tried some of that new Kentucky jelly. It tastes awful. I don't know how they're still in business.

Widder said he liked that Naval jelly. He said the trick is finding just the right naval to extract it from.

17 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I tried some of that new Kentucky jelly. It tastes awful. I don't know how they're still in business.

Widder said he liked that Naval jelly. He said the trick is finding just the right naval to extract it from.

Just mix that Kentucky Jelly in your next Nanner Split, it will taste better, I promise.

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yea, when I was in the Navy, we had all kinds of jellies.

My favorite:  Apple Butter

other favorites:  Strawberry and Blackberry.

BUT..... I won't eat any Murfreesboro Jelly, which is worse than Kentucky (KY)  jelly.

Murfreesboro Jelly is one of TW's favorites, in which the rest of the world refers to it as ..... Mayonnaise.

EDIT:  For PBJ sammiches, just about anything Strawberry or Grape.   Love PBJ's.

..........Widder

My go to would be Strawberry. Lately I pick up Strawberry Rubarb when I can find it. 

BS

32 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Yea, when I was in the Navy, we had all kinds of jellies.

My favorite:  Apple Butter

other favorites:  Strawberry and Blackberry.

BUT..... I won't eat any Murfreesboro Jelly, which is worse than Kentucky (KY)  jelly.

Murfreesboro Jelly is one of TW's favorites, in which the rest of the world refers to it as ..... Mayonnaise.

..........Widder

They ain't nothin' in the world as awful as mayonnaise! I'd rather eat toe jam. (Sorry to bring up jam in the jelly thread).

In no particular order,

Smuckers Seedless Blackberry Jam, Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam me and they wife made a couple years ago with MO. Strawberries, still have a half a case. Peach Jam, Smuckers Grape jelly for PB&J's. Those are my primary 4.

Apricot is good.

Apple Butter is good 

My favorite now is Strawberry preserves but when I was a kid my mom made homemade plum jelly from the 4 plum trees we had. She’d put it in glass jars and it would last until the next season. It was awesome!

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Kind of hungry now for a Grape and cheddar cheese sandwich...

OK, how did you come up with that?   What kind of bread?

That sounds weird enough that I might have to buy a jar of grape jelly. 

An aside, I don't think I tasted grape jelly until I was in my teens.  We either had homemade pomegranate, apricot, strawberry, or plum.  If we got store bought it was the 3 pound cans of Empress Apricot Jam.

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Jam.  Blackberry.  'Nuf said

Me, too.  We young'uns would hike to a neighbor's cow pasture that had a creek running through it.  We'd play in the creek, then pick the berries that grew on either side of the creek.  Nanny would make the jam and, as I've said many times, the smell of blackberries cooking can put me right back in her kitchen in a New York minute.

Blackberry jam, raspberry jam, and since relocating to VA 7 years ago......apple butter.

21 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

OK, how did you come up with that?   What kind of bread?

That sounds weird enough that I might have to buy a jar of grape jelly. 

An aside, I don't think I tasted grape jelly until I was in my teens.  We either had homemade pomegranate, apricot, strawberry, or plum.  If we got store bought it was the 3 pound cans of Empress Apricot Jam.

I started eating it as a kid. I always used white bread but most any bread would probably be good, well except rye.

I alway used cheddar w/grape jelly or jam. Good as a cold sandwich or you can melt the cheese on the bread in the oven and then put the jelly/jam on top of the melted cheese. It's good that way but messy.

Try peanut butter, apple butter on pumpernickel. Pretty good twist on it.

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I started eating it as a kid. I always used white bread but most any bread would probably be good, well except rye.

I alway used cheddar w/grape jelly or jam. Good as a cold sandwich or you can melt the cheese on the bread in the oven and then put the jelly/jam on top of the melted cheese. It's good that way but messy.

Thank you.  I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it. Even though I know that jam/jelly on brie or fig jam and gorgonzola are popular, or at least somewhat trendy, appetizers.

I bet it would work on pumpernickel bread.

I grew up in orchard county, west Michigan. Peach, apple, plum, blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, etc. If I could fill a bucket with whatever, my grandma would make me jams and jellies. I was partial to her strawberry jam. She would skim the foam off the top while she was making it just for me. 

She never did ask where any of them berries came from. We could fish all day and not come back for food. Just raid somebodies berry patch or orchards. 

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

13184.thumb.jpeg.d769572671dcd6791465109da9607784.jpeg

Me too. It’s great on French Vanilla ice cream, toast, crackers, bread, whatever you use jelly, jam, preserves for. 

When I was a kid- Welches Grape Jelly, later my Aunt Jonnies strawberry preserves, now- probably apple butter...any or all on hot fresh baked bread.

Imis

Archived