SASS Wire Forum

CC Hat bands?

Needle-Nose-Tom

Do fancy hat bands count for a costume addition in Classic Cowboy? I'm trying to get some ideas and not everything fits into one outfit. As in if I'm wearing a formal lawman outfit like a classic Texas ranger I'm not going to wear chaps as well and if I'm wearing a working Cowboy outfit I'm not going to have a pocket watch and tie. 

11 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I’m sure a lot would disagree and tell me where to stick my 2 cents, but should  have to shoot Black Powder in that category  :ph34r:

I'm working on it, I'd like to see myself hit the targets first. Baby steps. :)

2 minutes ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

I'm working on it, I'd like to see myself hit the targets first. Baby steps. :)

Seeing targets is waaaayyyyyyy overrated!

If the spotters can’t see the targets, they can’t see you miss said target :D

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Seeing targets is waaaayyyyyyy overrated!

If the spotters can’t see the targets, they can’t see you miss said target :D

I think BP shooters expect to be called for at least one miss a stage! Wouldn’t want to disappoint them!!;)

Never heard the argument for a hatband...

5 from the current list is easy, a lot of guys do 7. Hot, humid weather will see a different CC costume than cooler weather for a lot of us.

Also, the hat must not be straw.

9 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I’m sure a lot would disagree and tell me where to stick my 2 cents, but should  have to shoot Black Powder in that category  :ph34r:

Yep. ;-)

9 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Agree 100%.

Agree on the BP, not where your 2 cents shouldn't go. :D

Wear any hat band you want, except for those that make the hat into a Shady Brady.   Band will count for nothing but pleasing your senses.

good luck, GJ

For the record it's a hell of a hat band made by a fellow Classic Cowboy. It even came with a first place ribbon for winning in th AZ territory. I was half joking with the post but if any dang hat band was worth a costume point this one is. So all you hat bands out there that feel less than special rise up. Or just sit there on top of your hat. :lol:

21 minutes ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

For the record it's a hell of a hat band made by a fellow Classic Cowboy. It even came with a first place ribbon for winning in th AZ territory. I was half joking with the post but if any dang hat band was worth a costume point this one is. So all you hat bands out there that feel less than special rise up. Or just sit there on top of your hat. :lol:

Ok Tom, you can't make a post like that without pics! 

The hatband AND hat are very nice! Love 'em! Oh yeah, and the gun...:D

4 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

Everything about that picture is correct 

Naw... barrels are too long!  

This just reminded me I have another batch of bones I need to check on!

22 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Rattle snake bones and all. Like I said hell of a hat band, proud to wear. My signature look. :D

20221221_191130~2.jpg

I am sincerely glad you like the hatband! The process to get the bones clean is a stomach-churning process. If there were any bears in the area, they would be in my backyard due to the smell.

12 hours ago, Cholla said:

I am sincerely glad you like the hatband! The process to get the bones clean is a stomach-churning process. If there were any bears in the area, they would be in my backyard due to the smell.

My girlfriend has a cooker called a instapot for making stews and such, it will boil a ham knuckle bone squeaky clean in 45 minutes, there wont be a drop of fat or gristle left anywhere. if you threw your cleaned and skinned snake in there my bet is you would have clean white bones and snake stew in less than an hour

5 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

if you threw your cleaned and skinned snake in there

Would it soften the bones?

1 minute ago, MizPete said:

Would it soften the bones?

If you cook it to long I’m sure it would, the instapot is a modern day pressure cooker only much better, you would probably have a little learning curve as to how long to cook before the meat falls off the bones but snakes are cheap :)

On the subject of hatbands, Tombstone Mary has been making beaded bands for friends.  Most are 1" wide or less.  But a top hat needs a wider one, so she made these authentic style 2" bands for Santa Claus Dutch Van Horn and myself.  She said they were a lot harder to make so she isn't going to do any more like that!  :)

Hatbands-small.jpg

3 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

If you cook it to long I’m sure it would, the instapot is a modern day pressure cooker only much better, you would probably have a little learning curve as to how long to cook before the meat falls off the bones but snakes are cheap :)

Big rattlesnakes are not easy to find. It takes bigger snake bones to be able to thread them like beads. I have tried various ways to clean the bones but I finally decided on a way I found on a site called Jake's Bones. I place the carcass, with all organs, in a bottle of water and set it in the sun. The bacteria do the rest until everything but the bones is a stomach-churning slurry in about a week. At that point, I wash them well and soak them in hydrogen peroxide to make them white.

9 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

My girlfriend has a cooker called a instapot for making stews and such, it will boil a ham knuckle bone squeaky clean in 45 minutes, there wont be a drop of fat or gristle left anywhere. if you threw your cleaned and skinned snake in there my bet is you would have clean white bones and snake stew in less than an hour

I have a small instapot I take with me to CAS matches.  I doubt my wife would ever eat a meal cooked in it after I cooked a snake.  She is already horrified I eat alligator meat when visiting Florida.

1 minute ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I have a small instapot I take with me to CAS matches.  I doubt my wife would every eat a meal cooked in it after I cooked a snake.  She is already horrified I each alligator meat when visiting Florida.

My Missus would feel the same way!

Archived