SASS Wire Forum

1977 Colt Cavalry Set of Pistols

I’m looking for some info on a set of pistols I recently acquired.

New in the box 

unfired 

All the items are here 

from what I can find made in 1977

anyone have any good info about this set? I’d like to sell the set before I go crazy and shoot them.

Thanks 

Dakota 

IMG_7224.jpeg

IMG_7223.jpeg

IMG_7222.jpeg

IMG_7221.jpeg

IMG_7220.jpeg

I got a set piece by piece, at the time the prices were around 2,000.00, back in 2017. Should be above that easily for a Calvary set of 2nd gen guns with matching shoulder stock. I would agree that ColtForum would be a good source. 

Twer it "I".   I'd be insuring the Barrel to Arbor fit, swapping out the springs and nipples (keeping the originals) "then" selling them off.  Wouldn't shoot 'em 'cause I really don't like Ubertis'

What is this fascination with cap and ball conversions?  Explain it to me... I don't understand it.  I would no more consider shooting a conversion cylinder in my cap and ball guns than have a anatomical change.  

Just now, Griff said:

What is this fascination with cap and ball conversions?  Explain it to me... I don't understand it.  I would no more consider shooting a conversion cylinder in my cap and ball guns than have a anatomical change.  

You get to shoot an interesting old design with the convenience of cartridges.

So... it's laziness.  Just like back then.  I found overcoming the challenge of shooting the cap and ball a wonderful and rewarding experience.  Plus, being counted amongst the adult male population by shooting in the Frontiersman category ultimately satisfying.  

1 minute ago, Griff said:

So... it's laziness.  Just like back then.  I found overcoming the challenge of shooting the cap and ball a wonderful and rewarding experience.  Plus, being counted amongst the adult male population by shooting in the Frontiersman category ultimately satisfying.  

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Historical correctness?  Back in the day, they did not shoot categories, they shot each other.  Faster reloads were pretty important. 

First, you have to find out if the percussion revolver identifies as a cis gendered cap and ball gun or if it is questioning or identifying as a cartridge gun and is looking forward to a surgical revision. If it is old enough to make a responsible decision, then let it go through the transition. You and it will probably be comfortable with the decision in the long run. By the way there are some conversion cylinders that require no surgical modification to the original allowing the gun to be gender fluid.

Unsolicited advise,

Rev Chase

13 hours ago, Griff said:

So... it's laziness. 

Oh come on.

Just because a particular option does not interest you does not mean it's invalid or of interest to others.  There are different ways to do things in our game.  Who are you to say that any particular option is lazy or foolish?

That's rather insulting.

Back when I actually practiced, I often did so at an indoor range!  I found that the management and other shooters didn’t appreciate my black powder smoke even a tiny bit!!

I used conversion cylinders and smokeless cartridges and I could shoot all day without being chastised or ostracized!!

On a rainy, 27 degree day in the middle of winter, that’s a big advantage to shooting conversions!!

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh come on.

Just because a particular option does not interest you does not mean it's invalid or of interest to others.  There are different ways to do things in our game.  Who are you to say that any particular option is lazy or foolish?
That's rather insulting.

I forgot the ;).  I quite agree... but if I can insult more folks into Frontiersman... maybe they won't eliminate the category again.  

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Back when I actually practiced, I often did so at an indoor range!  I found that the management and other shooters didn’t appreciate my black powder smoke even a tiny bit!!

I used conversion cylinders and smokeless cartridges and I could shoot all day without being chastised or ostracized!!

On a rainy, 27 degree day in the middle of winter, that’s a big advantage to shooting conversions!!

Yep, some people are simply intolerant!  Tho' I've shot matches in worse weather than that... but, will admit, I've never practiced in weather like that!  Even indoors!

17 hours ago, smokedawg SASS#60968 said:

Historical correctness?  Back in the day, they did not shoot categories, they shot each other.  Faster reloads were pretty important. 

I get that... but... percussion revolvers are just as deadly.

16 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

First, you have to find out if the percussion revolver identifies as a cis gendered cap and ball gun or if it is questioning or identifying as a cartridge gun and is looking forward to a surgical revision. If it is old enough to make a responsible decision, then let it go through the transition. You and it will probably be comfortable with the decision in the long run. By the way there are some conversion cylinders that require no surgical modification to the original allowing the gun to be gender fluid.

Unsolicited advise,

Rev Chase

It that weren't so topical... it'd be funny.  

On 5/10/2023 at 12:55 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

C'mon y'all, it's spelled CAVALRY.  Says so, right on the box.

Sorry, pet peeve.  :)  But really, what a nice set!

Was at work trying to get it written in a hurry and with the neuropathy from chemo affecting my fingers, I sometimes don’t get it right. My Bad!  Thanks for the correction 

1 hour ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Was at work trying to get it written in a hurry and with the neuropathy from chemo affecting my fingers, I sometimes don’t get it right. My Bad!  Thanks for the correction 

Well, you were just typing the same thing the OP wrote (he corrected it).  I was mostly joshing, because it is such a common error.  But gosh, I sure hope you are responding well to treatment!  That sounds like no fun at all, but better than the alternative!  Good luck and God Bless!

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well, you were just typing the same thing the OP wrote (he corrected it).  I was mostly joshing, because it is such a common error.  But gosh, I sure hope you are responding well to treatment!  That sounds like no fun at all, but better than the alternative!  Good luck and God Bless!

No worries. Didn’t take it wrong. Thanks for well wishes, on Keytruda now but 10 treatments of chemo last 2021 did it to me!  But I am looking down instead of up and thanks to both Doctors and prayers from family and friends I am clean. 

Archived