SASS Wire Forum

recipe for a middle of the road cowboy 44 mag?

Last Call Saul

What is a good recipe for a mild but not a bunny fart reload for 44 mag? not a full factory load, but I do want to hit targets farther than I can touch them :)

I have 200 gr bang and clang RNFP bullets and have HP-38, titegroup, HP110 and Clays powders... anyone loads something like that?

I use the .44 Special load of 7.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain RNFP. Don't know if this helps but my S&W 44s love it.

8 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I use the .44 Special load of 7.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain RNFP. Don't know if this helps but my S&W 44s love it.

I like this load and shoot it often

I use 4.4 Gr of Cleanshot behind a 200 Gr RNFP. all four of my .44s love it. Stout enough to take down SG targets with mild recoil, not messy. Cleanshot meters like honey. All of my records from initial tests in .44 from the 1980s were with hotter powders for Magnum, silhouette loads, some WAY over 1000fps from a pistol. I am a retired Recoil Junkie.

Imis

I used to use 4.5gr of Clays under a 200gr slug. but if you think that's too light Hodgdon says you can go to 6.4     That's in a Mag case, not Special.      GW

The Hodgdon online calculator gives me the same performance data for either 44 Mag Pistol or Rifle.  I'm using the low-end point recommended 5.0 gr Titegroup and 200 gr LRNFP .430 bullets in 44 Mag cases.  I shoot this in a '92 Chiappa carbine for WB and it's a very comfortable load.  That's a mid-point in the recommendations for 44 Special on the Hodgdon site, which makes sense comparing the case length difference.

44 Magnum data usually starts well above Black Powder pressures and velocities, but it's been my experience that it doesn't behave much differently than 44-40 or 45 Colt. I load for those as well and am finding that adjusting the load a bit up or down will get you the same performance. 5 grains of fast powder, plus or minus should work. 

I've collected a few notes from what others have posted, here and other forums. I'll quote without crediting the OP. 

44 Magnum Cowboy loads.

I've been loading the 240gr over 5.5grs TiteGroup for my buddy for over 15yrs. Functions perfectly in his VAQUERO'S & WIN 94.

30+yrs ago the pistol targets were 4" plates at 50ft, the rifle targets were 8" plates at 50-60yds.

Better off with 200gr over 4.2grs of CLAYS in a mag case. Or if you HAVE to use a shorter case, why not a .44Spl, with a 200 over 3.8grs of TiteGroup ?
I use a 210gr Bullets in my .44Spl COLTS, loaded with 4.2grs of TiteGroup. Feels like shooting a .22Mag out of a COLT .22 PEACEMAKER. and this load will feed in a MARLIN 1894, WIN 94 & UBERTI '73.

================

I shoot a 240 gr. RNL .44 over 5 grains of (old) Win 452AA in a .44 Mag case in my rifle, a Marlin 1894. My particular rifle doesn't like shorter bullets/cases.

===============

For economical .44 Mag loads over cast boolets I've used Red Dot for decades. Like your Clays, a little goes a looooong way. For my full house hunting rounds, I usually load 2400. During the powder and components shortage a few years ago I picked up a couple of pounds of Blue Dot because it was available. It worked fine in my .44s, but I didn't see any advantages over my trusty 2400 so I still have most of it. It'll probably - eventually - get used up in my shotguns.

================

4.5 grs. 700X and lee’s 200 TL RF. In a 44 mag. case. I shoot this as fast as anything in my 1894 marlin made in the 70’s.

===================

"

I load and my son shoots 4.5 gr of titegroup with either B&C or Outlaw 200gr coated RNFP bullets in 44 magnum cases. Same recipe in 44-40 and 45 Colt. You can reduce the recoil a little by using lighter bullets, 180gr have worked well in my 44-40s.

15 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Sorry misread this, I use same with a 240 Elmer Keith or lead hp, good combo

I use .7 cc of Reddot (5.0 gr) or Amer Select (5.2 gr) with 200 gr .44 Mag or 230 gr .45 Colt with good results.

Not a mouse farther and just enough pressure to get a good seal on the brass during ignition.

Per your powder and bullet selection:

6.0 grains of HP-38 / 231 will work just fine in 44 magnum cases with the 200-grain cast bullet. 

Drop it down to 4.5 - 5.0 grains of HP38/231 if using 44 special cases with a 200-grain cast bullet.

Yep, mostly use Unique too, but the loads above with HP-38 / 231 will work. Hogden lists loads for 44 mag and 44 special using HP-38 / cast lead 200 and 240's on their website.  Definitely not a powder to push too much with this caliber and the heavier bullets though.  

I have used 7.5 gr Hodgden's UNIVERSAL behind a 213.5 gr hard-cast commercial bullet giving me 950 ft/sec from a 7-1/2" OM Vaquero.  With the larger capacity Winchester .44-40 and the same bullet, I go to 8.0 grains of the same powder.  This isn't much help to you, as UNIVERSAL is probably unavailable currently.  With HP38/W231, I'd follow the recommended loads from Hodgdon's listing.

Stay well and safe!

Very expensive ingredient and for me at least, hard to live without it.  At the moment supposed to be in-stock at these two locations. 

Midway $45.99 2
min
ago
In-Stock
$ Notify
Ballistic
Products
$367.79 2
min
ago
In-Stock
$ Notify

On 5/9/2023 at 6:30 PM, Last Call Saul said:

What is a good recipe for a mild but not a bunny fart reload for 44 mag? not a full factory load, but I do want to hit targets farther than I can touch them :)

I have 200 gr bang and clang RNFP bullets and have HP-38, titegroup, HP110 and Clays powders... anyone loads something like that?

Are you asking about loads for CAS or "hotter" loads for general plinking?

10 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Are you asking about loads for CAS or "hotter" loads for general plinking?

not for CAS, more for plinking, but I would start with the CAS as a bottom baseline and work up a load for my liking

Not sure if a personal relationship matters here :) Being a close friend doesn't make one a reliable expert on reloading or a source of true data.  However, talking to multiple people with experience, collecting data, crossreferencing it with other sources, analyzing it and applying to your situation is a tried and a true way to shorten a learning curve

My copy of Lyman 51st edition gives plenty of information for both 44 special and 44 magnum that I think you would find very useful. Just a thought.

I also read and research plenty of different sources for load data and always compare it to published load data before I make a decision. Some calibers like 500 JRH magnum there’s not much published so one must find a different route of research. 44 magnum has been around long enough there’s plenty of data to sort through and the caliber itself is pretty flexible within safe loading practices.

Archived