SASS Wire Forum

Boat Chicken

Subdeacon Joe

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/the-rules-of-fried-chicken-on-a-boat/

“Blasphemy!” I screamed from the raft as we floated along the Snake River in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I had just opened a box to find chicken tenders. “This is not fried chicken,” I shrieked to my friend, whom I had politely asked to bring fried chicken as a boat snack. As we maneuvered through white water, our small group immediately divided into Southerners vs. non-Southerners concerning the correct type of chicken to serve on a boat. We were as riled up as the rapids, but really there’s no debate—as a North Carolinian who travels the South to write about food, I’m here to state that chicken tenders, while delicious, are not fried chicken. And when someone invites you on a boat ride, you bring fried chicken.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, "boat chicken" is fried chicken on the bone. So you can eat it down to the bone, and then throw the bone in the water?

As opposed to eating chicken tenders, and having nothing left to throw away when you're done?

Litter bug.

@Alpo you're in the South, how can you say such a thing? Next thing you'll be saying you want sugar in your cornbread instead of the iced tea!

I don't put sugar in my tea. If I want cold sweet stuff I drink Dr Pepper.

And while pone is pretty good (corn pone ain't got no sugar) I have no trouble with sugar in the cornbread. I'm going to put honey on it anyhow. :P

I have never heard of such a thing. Boat chicken? My question to anyone that would bring this up on my boat would be “Can you swim? And no, you aren’t taking a life preserver with you!”

1st- What kind of person expects to eat anything while rafting the mountains of Wyoming?  Had to search for pictures of rafting the Jackson Hole Snake River.  Turns out this is a "scenic float" river, not an everybody actively working 2 hands on a paddle mountain raft trip.  Picture found online.

2nd- Can you chastise someone in Wyoming for something that is a tradition in the SE states?

Tetonsclose-1-1200x800.jpg

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, "boat chicken" is fried chicken on the bone. So you can eat it down to the bone, and then throw the bone in the water?

As opposed to eating chicken tenders, and having nothing left to throw away when you're done?

Litter bug.

Not even a close comparison.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Litter bug.

Bait for the crawdad traps.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

They got crawdads in Wyoming?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Ask-Game-and-Fish/Mark,-can-I-harvest-crayfish-in-Wyoming-lakes-and

But I had figured your: 

So you can eat it down to the bone, and then throw the bone in the water?

Litter bug.

To be a comment about having fried chicken on a boat anywhere, not just in WY.

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Next thing you'll be saying you want sugar in your cornbread instead of the iced tea!

Saints preserve us!

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't put sugar in my tea. If I want cold sweet stuff I drink Dr Pepper.

And while pone is pretty good (corn pone ain't got no sugar) I have no trouble with sugar in the cornbread. I'm going to put honey on it anyhow. :P

Your Southern card is hereby REVOKED.  NULL & VOID.  Forever.

5 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Your Southern card is hereby REVOKED.  NULL & VOID.  Forever.

I don't put vinegar in my barbecue sauce or coleslaw on my barbecue sammich, neither.

So there :P

Hmmmm, let’s see chicken tenders are chicken and they’re fried so…,.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

coleslaw on my barbecue sammich,

I've never quite understood slaw on a sandwich.  Coleslaw is a side dish, not a sandwich dressing.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't put vinegar in my barbecue

Heretic!!!!

41 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I've never quite understood slaw on a sandwich.  Coleslaw is a side dish, not a sandwich dressing

I always thought this was simply a Carolina thing.

There's this 1950s movie - HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable. Three models, tired of being poor, pool their money and rent a expensive apartment, with the plan of within one year at least one of them marrying a millionaire. And then she will take care of the other two.

At the end of the movie the three girls and their husbands are sitting at the counter at this little diner.

How-to-Marry-a-Millionaire-1.jpg?sha=5a3

And there are bowls of coleslaw spaced down the counter, like napkin holders or sugar containers (you can see one in front of Marilyn, between her water glass and her coffee cup). And when the counter guy brings them their hamburgers they bring over the bowls of coleslaw and put some on their burgers - like it was lettuce and tomato. Strange.

And this was New York City.

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That there's the problem.

Or the benefit.  Cole slaw has been both a side dish and a sandwich enhancement for as long as I can remember.  Nothing beats a corned beef on kosher rye with cole slaw from a Jewish deli.  Adds texture, moisture and flavor.

Bobby Flay agrees.  https://www.today.com/recipes/bobby-flay-s-roasted-turkey-sandwich-coleslaw-recipe-t185919

PS:  I grew up eating chicken wings and drumsticks (both fried) on our boats; several years ago it became illegal in MA to throw "food waste" off of your boat; now the bones go back to shore in a bag.

LL

Back about '01 I was in Miami and ate lunch at a place that called itself a New York deli.

All the waitresses were older than me, and I was approaching 50. And they all looked like New York Russian Jews. Like the cast of Fiddler on the Roof.

Every table had a big bowl of dill pickle spears and a big bowl of coleslaw sitting on it. When you went in to sit down the pickles and slaw was there, like they figured that everyone wanted pickles and slothSLAW so it was already out. Sitting on the table like the salt and pepper and napkins.

I had a lieberwurst sammich. Damn hunka meat must have been an inch thick. Boy that was good. I burped it for most of 2 days.

But I didn't put no slaw on it. Put a big spoonful on my plate and ate it with a fork. B) Maybe that let 'em know I was a ferriner.

35 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Or the benefit.  Cole slaw has been both a side dish and a sandwich enhancement for as long as I can remember.  Nothing beats a corned beef on kosher rye with cole slaw from a Jewish deli.  Adds texture, moisture and flavor.

Bobby Flay agrees.  https://www.today.com/recipes/bobby-flay-s-roasted-turkey-sandwich-coleslaw-recipe-t185919

PS:  I grew up eating chicken wings and drumsticks (both fried) on our boats; several years ago it became illegal in MA to throw "food waste" off of your boat; now the bones go back to shore in a bag.

LL

I don't recall seeing it before maybe about 20 years ago.  I've tried it a couple of times and it just doesn't float my boat.  I think, just maybe, it's how the sandwich is stacked.  Usually I see it on a sandwich that is nine or ten inches tall, so you have to take it apart to eat it (that's another thing I don't get, enormously thick sandwiches).  To my taste a BBQ sandwich shouldn't need added moisture, or if it does, just a touch of sauce.  The meat and bread should be enough.  YMMV.

Corned beef on rye, with a touch of mustard, cole slaw on the side.  And a couple of pickles.  And a beer.

I'll admit to putting undressed slaw on my tacos sometimes in lieu of tomato and lettuce.  

In North Carolina a “Carolina Style” hot dog has chili and Cole slaw on it. Some places add kraut and mustard too. Yummy! 

22 hours ago, Alpo said:

I don't put vinegar in my barbecue sauce or coleslaw on my barbecue sammich, neither.

Oh, my dear Lord.  I just cannot.

Archived