SASS Wire Forum

My wife wanted some bling on the gun cart

Buckshot Bear

My wife wanted some bling on the gun cart, a couple of helpful Wire pards were great and sent me some CAD drawings of a cylinder so I could use as a template.

It's not a Yul Lose original, but we like. Carry's a LOT of gear and breaks down easy to put in the back of the car and when its empty its nice and light.

Another Wire pard was awesome and posted me some of the decals that you can see on the cart from the U.S.

Ended up cutting all the brass shells down with a thin disc on an angle grinder, then filed off all the burrs, polished and spray varnished them. Drilled 9.5mm holes and one drop of super glue and used a small rubber leather faced mallet to drive them in. The shotgun shells I cut down on my bandsaw and used a spade bit to drill the hole. 

Turned the handles on my metal lathe for the rifle and pistol squib rods and bored out the ends to fit the shotgun shells.

20230507_123557.thumb.jpg.8e8fa15aedeaa0d008ddb9cec80f0f47.jpg

20230507_123647.thumb.jpg.7adb92a670a1ca2e013bcbc0c9633052.jpg

20230507_123650.thumb.jpg.e443c6b2b83c54232d4071fb191a840d.jpg

20230507_123657.thumb.jpg.0d809b7c67030c4776e794f1b7a2c912.jpg

20230507_123701.thumb.jpg.2608b224a8cda074b5bb3a0def4eee52.jpg

20230507_123709.thumb.jpg.c2a3fd19bedbc5db64569d41bd36ad6f.jpg

20230507_123717.thumb.jpg.eba2211ba9315c8591f2b99333dd448e.jpg

20230507_123727.thumb.jpg.861332b42c9aee64f3e677b2dd796d9a.jpg

20230507_123731.thumb.jpg.fc94a8069e83fd910358d3017c67dba9.jpg

20230507_123752.thumb.jpg.56d5e665e587e9c56fe035450a53433b.jpg

20230507_123757.thumb.jpg.8e15c0957d45919bb1043c528ca19828.jpg

20230425_131339.thumb.jpg.2c452b80756be3bf7a1d575a738e3739.jpg.c8444496be7c11d87b8bf3b3793fe593.jpg

Well done, looks great and original!

If you get really ambitious (or she wants more bling), you could glue swarovski crystals over all the spent primers in the cases. :D

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well done, looks great and original!

If you get really ambitious (or she wants more bling), you could glue swarovski crystals over all the spent primers in the cases. :D

Sshhhhhhh Abilene.....if Jenorado reads your post that's another week of work for me :lol:

Nice job!!

Very nicely done!

Thanks pards, we've been using this for around 14 months now.

It got old fast humping all that gear from range to range and range to car not having a cart.

@Yul Lose about a year ago Yul Lose emailed how to make wooden wagon wheels for the cart, I had a go at it, but unfortunately the skill level that Yul has is wayyy over my pay grade. And that's what makes his carts the masterpieces that they are. 

50 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Thanks pards, we've been using this for around 14 months now.

It got old fast humping all that gear from range to range and range to car not having a cart.

@Yul Lose about a year ago Yul Lose emailed how to make wooden wagon wheels for the cart, I had a go at it, but unfortunately the skill level that Yul has is wayyy over my pay grade. And that's what makes his carts the masterpieces that they are. 

Thank you. What size wheels and tires are on that cart? I might have spokes already made up for it, they look like the older style of wheel that I used. Let me know.

5 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

@Yul Lose 
The yellow lines Yul are measured at 320mm and the red lines at 290mm.

320mm.thumb.jpg.69e256c64df04933e52a86aa64f72577.jpg

290mm.thumb.jpg.f631bacc26cd9f5c4ebe3c89a7f5533b.jpg

Rats, those are 16” wheels. The spokes that I have made up are for 20” wheels. I might have a 16” wheel like that around and I’ll see what it would take to make those spokes fit.

Well I remembered as I was looking for the 16” wheels that I gave them to a new shooter who was building a cart, but I do remember that the hub was the same size as the 20” wheel. All you’d have to do to the spokes that I have built is shorten them on the hub end by a couple of inches. The easiest way would be to buy a Forstner bit that diameter and then build a fixture for your drill press that will hold the spoke correctly and safely while you cut out the hub cove. The rest of the spoke should fit the 16” wheel, I remember doing this a few years ago for a cart that I built.

66DCF0D0-E315-4C21-B95F-F9139423E745.jpeg

0165F741-77F2-480D-AF54-6BC7D4B946C4.jpeg

54838FDD-6A11-4661-8C96-8DE0FA59F755.jpeg

BFE784F9-047B-4552-8D01-7BFC1B47D38B.jpeg

Bear,

These will go out tomorrow so you can have a one of a kind in Aussie Land. Didn't know which one you would prefer so sending both.

TM

Boot2.jpg

Texas SASS.jpg

On 5/9/2023 at 1:53 AM, watab kid said:

wish my wife cared enough to join us

Take her to a match & have her keep score.  It's not fun just to watch.  Stand with the spotters & ask questions when she doesn't get what they got.  That's how I met the people & learned the game.  & who knows.....when she sees the fun being had & feels a part of it...

1 minute ago, MizPete said:

Take her to a match & have her keep score.  It's not fun just to watch.  Stand with the spotters & ask questions when she doesn't get what they got.  That's how I met the people & learned the game.  & who knows.....when she sees the fun being had & feels a part of it...

That's how my wife started. One day at the end of a State match, Nanny Oakley walked up behind her and strapped her holsters on Ellie Phant and guided her through a stage. By the time we got home, she had her alias being an elephant collector!

Just make sure she has better equipment than you! Don't want any firearm issues when she first starts out!!!

3 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

Bear,

These will go out tomorrow so you can have a one of a kind in Aussie Land. Didn't know which one you would prefer so sending both.

TM

Boot2.jpg

Texas SASS.jpg

That's so appreciated !!!!!

22 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Thank you. What size wheels and tires are on that cart? I might have spokes already made up for it, they look like the older style of wheel that I used. Let me know.

You can buy those at Home depot Yul, we get them here at Bunnings, a copy of the Home depot store. :)

5 hours ago, MizPete said:

i appreciate the thinking but i cant get her to consent to go , maybe one day if i can get a grandkid to shoot - i know that would get her there , 

18 hours ago, MizPete said:

doesn't work in my case. My wife does keep the score whenever she attends a match just so she can keep busy but she still has no intentions of every shooting. I can't even get her to go to the range and shoot the S&W 22C I got specifically for her.

TM

20 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

doesn't work in my case. My wife does keep the score whenever she attends a match just so she can keep busy but she still has no intentions of every shooting. I can't even get her to go to the range and shoot the S&W 22C I got specifically for her.

TM

Find another lady to help encourage her. If you manage to get her to play with the 22, do it without an audience and set the target close to insure some bullseye hits. Lots of compliments will help as well and don't let yourself get frustrated with her. 

4 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Find another lady to help encourage her. If you manage to get her to play with the 22, do it without an audience and set the target close to insure some bullseye hits. Lots of compliments will help as well and don't let yourself get frustrated with her. 

Thanks for the tips. She is friends with Panhandle Cowgirl and Bessie James. She just isn't into shooting. She runs her marathons while I shoot SASS. We even plan our summer vacations around trying to find places that we can do both within a reasonable driving distance.

TM

13 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

she still has no intentions of every shooting.

I really didn't either until Petey got a concealed carry permit & we realized if he left me in the car with the pistol I wasn't legal.  I don't shoot competitively because 1) it seems like too much trouble and 2) it seems to be expected that I'll score.  It's kinda the way I play our game.

3 hours ago, MizPete said:

I really didn't either until Petey got a concealed carry permit & we realized if he left me in the car with the pistol I wasn't legal.  I don't shoot competitively because 1) it seems like too much trouble and 2) it seems to be expected that I'll score.  It's kinda the way I play our game.

We are trying at our club to make it so that the fella's don't slack off and its always the ladies doing the scoring. 

12 hours ago, MizPete said:

I was in law enforcement for over 12 years and also have a concealed license for over 20 years. She is used to it but I don't carry open. I don't want the bad guy to know about it until he or she is staring down the barrel if necessary. I always have guns in the truck somewhere and they are locked up so it isn't an issue if I leave her alone in the truck. Yeah, they do take her for granted that she will keep score if she is there but she put that on herself since she doesn't like to just sit and watch so it works out for all.

TM

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

so that the fella's don't slack off and its always the ladies doing the scoring. 

Having been on the entry end of it, I'd rather have the ladies.  But that's why I do it.  It's gotta be a PITA to try to shoot a match & keep up with a posse.  A designated scorekeeper solves some issues.

Archived