SASS Wire Forum

We are doomed.

Went to Sportsman's today to pick up my ration of small pistol primers and a couple of other items.  The girl at the register was really pretty.  I was happy to be at her checkout to get a closer look and it seemed like it was shaping up into a good day.  She said the bill came to $18.29.  So I gave her a twenty and told her to hold on a second because I had some change in my pocket.  I handed her a quarter and four pennies.  She looked at the twenty and then poked and stirred around the coins with her index finger for quite a while.  Then she finally said, "is this twenty-nine cents?"  I said yes a quarter and four pennies is twenty-nine cents.  After a protracted pause she finally put the money in the drawer and I had to remind her she still owed me two-dollars.  Reminded me of a news report I heard last night that in many of our large cities NONE of the graduating seniors in many schools in those cities can read, write or do simple math.  (I.e., 2 x 2 equals 4.)  With all of the goofy stuff going on from Bud Light to Disneyland I worry the nation has hit the tipping point.

I just bought a zero turn mower today at Ace hardware.  I qualified for a 25% discount off of MSRP because I'm retired public safety.  The young man, who was very personable and helpful. did fine until it came time to figure out the 25% discount.  Then it got interesting.  I was verifying his numbers with my cellphone calculator and he finally got it right on the 3rd try.  I hope they don't put him in charge of the books.

I stopped worrying about them. My 3 got quality educations (not my tax funded) and marketable skills. Critical thinking is important.

I agree.

Last year, I was going thru the drive thru burger place and the girl waiting on me gave me $1 too much

change.

I quickly returned the dollar and explained the situation to her.

She was dumb founded and acted like I was crazy.   And it was simple math that I was explaining to her.

They breed and live among us.

..........Widder

Maybe her surprise was not so much that she had over changed you (that would be the opposite of shortchanged), but that you had returned it.

35 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Went to Sportsman's today to pick up my ration of small pistol primers and a couple of other items.  The girl at the register was really pretty.  I was happy to be at her checkout to get a closer look and it seemed like it was shaping up into a good day.  She said the bill came to $18.29.  So I gave her a twenty and told her to hold on a second because I had some change in my pocket.  I handed her a quarter and four pennies.  She looked at the twenty and then poked and stirred around the coins with her index finger for quite a while.  Then she finally said, "is this twenty-nine cents?"  I said yes a quarter and four pennies is twenty-nine cents.  After a protracted pause she finally put the money in the drawer and I had to remind her she still owed me two-dollars.  Reminded me of a news report I heard last night that in many of our large cities NONE of the graduating seniors in many schools in those cities can read, write or do simple math.  (I.e., 2 x 2 equals 4.)  With all of the goofy stuff going on from Bud Light to Disneyland I worry the nation has hit the tipping point.

I don’t know, Larsen if she’s that good looking I’d be in there everyday makin her count my change.:P

19 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I don’t know, Larsen if she’s that good looking I’d be in there everyday makin her count my change.:P

I am going back tomorrow with a bag of pennies.

These type of conversations make me bring out the tinfoil hats....

An uneducated population sure would be easier to control wouldn't it?

I always wonder if some of the constant issues that come up every election cycle aren't just tests to see if we have dumbed down enough.

Guns for example.. just keep going after the same stuff, didn't pass...lower education, push drugs, create inflation.

Didn't pass again, lower education, push gender ideology,  push division, create volatile situations (which bring violence).

Dumb enough yet? "No sir, but we are making progress"

Unfortunately, what you and others have experienced is not isolated.

I had University graduates who could not write a coherent letter or do simple math calculations, essential to their position as Buyers.

Sad, because of the high opinions they had of themselves.

I always pay cash for small stuff and have never had this happen. I've often added the change to the paper money and, no problem. Say it's $10.10 so I give them $10.25 so I get 15 cents back instead of 90. Never had a problem with that sort of thing.

I don't know if they can count change, but they still have cash registers that do the calculation.

So I don't see the sky falling yet.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I agree.

Last year, I was going thru the drive thru burger place and the girl waiting on me gave me $1 too much

change.

She was dumb founded and acted like I was crazy.   And it was simple math that I was explaining to her.

..........Widder

I had nearly the same thing happen at a DQ about a month ago. I started to explain when I saw the look on the girl’s face. I fixed it. 
“That’s a tip!”

She smiled, thanked me and put the money in the tip jar. 

Life’s too short to fix other people sometimes. 

9 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

My first Bordertown shoot they had a food...Gave the girl a twenty and she counted it back the old fashion way...It was nice to see someone do it that way...

Texas Lizard

I used to put a pile of change and a couple of bill on the coffee table. I had all three of my kids do "drills" of counting change back to me for a fictional purchase. All three had fun doing it and glad we taught them. Oldest son is a Jr. High math teacher. 

I had a girl at a drive through give me my change back, it was $0.53, she handed me 5 dimes and three pennies. I said "Ah you must be out of quarters huh? She looked at me and said, "No we have quarters why? I said never mind, Thanks have a great day!

Me and wife were just discussing what kids in school are being taught and how or what teachers or the school boards think is more important in teaching. Seems our next door neighbor, a former special aide teacher who taught handicapped children who were deaf, mentioned to the wife that her daughters 13 year old boy can't completely say the alphabet nor multifaction tablet by memory.  So she is taken it on herself to teach him, something she said his teachers should have done. She also said the boy is getting Bs and only one C so far on his report summary for last semester.

What was funny was when she told wife he has problems with the 1X part. Were he is asked what is one times six, he answers seven, etc.

I've experienced all of the above!! Just what are we teaching in schools now at 28K per student. Sure does seem intentional to make our kids a bunch of dummies.:ph34r:

I went to a one room school for grade one through eight.  Besides the three Rs, we had classes in etiquette and making change.  We had play money and would set up a chair with rounds in back to simulate a bank teller window.  One would be the customer and another the teller. 

Some times I apologize to the cash register person for putting them at the inconvenience of using cash. 

Want to really mess with them? Hand them paper money and a Susan B Anthony dollar or a Sacagawea golden dollar. Be prepared to wait for the manager though.

The jump off the cliff was made years ago by political agendas infiltrating and being played out by our school and university system, displacing traditional learning.  Our nation is in free-fall now.  It's only a matter of how long before we hit the ground and whether or not these late generation folks can build a parachute (or even perceive need for one).  ---- And our international enemies are waiting and watching to pick up the piecess.. 

I read the other day that Chinese kids are learning quantum physics while ours are learning a warped version of social equity and gender re-identification.  

Sad requiem for the "last bastion of freedom on earth" (to quote Ronald Reagan).

13 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

My first Bordertown shoot they had a food...Gave the girl a twenty and she counted it back the old fashion way...It was nice to see someone do it that way...

Texas Lizard

Every time I encounter a cashier that knows how to count change I not only give them a verbal compliment I find the manager and let them know that the cashier was exceptional.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can guarantee the high school students where I’m currently subbing out the year are learning about the dangers of communism and about the Civil Rights movement of the 60’s. 
Whether they’ll retain it or not is another question.
 Seems odd, what I’m teaching is US History, but it doesn’t seem like history because I was there.  History was always stuff a long time ago, not stuff I remember. :)  I reckon I’m getting old.

Where are they gonna get these New Pistol Packin IRS agents from.

Largo

18 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I agree.

change.

..........Widder

I think she was enamored by your good looks….

just sayin’

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Where I worked, at least 20 years ago,  they put every new hire through a two week remedial course in reading and simple math.  How to use a tape measure and other common tools. 

I was a carpenter for around 30 years, I could read a tape forwards, backwards, fractions, decimal, metric( not to good at metrics anymore).

I went to a job interview  and I had to take a written test on fractions that were marked on a tape measure, I think there were 10 pics of a tape with different lines marked, and I was suppose to write down the fraction it showed. About a minute and a half later I was handing back the test to the lady that gave it to me. She ask what my question was, told her I didn't have a question I was done. She said oh sorry you didn't finish and thank me for my time. I said no you don't understand I finished all 10 questions, ok she say looked at them and her answer sheet. She then told me they had never had anybody finish that fast with all the correct answers. I told her I had been a carpenter for 25 year and not only could I do basic carpenter math I could also measure and cut rafters, stairs, estimate and a few other thing I don't remember now, all she said was we are not looking for formans right then and I was over qualified for their regular carpenter jobs

Happened to me just yesterday - my total was $16.00 even.

So I gave the cashier a $20.00 and a $1.00.

He says "It's only $16.00".   

Yeah, I know

"What's the $1.00 for???"

So you can give me back a $5.00 bill.

Dude had to think about it for WAY too long...and in the end, I'm almost certain he just took my word for it.

Also reminds me of this late-teens drug addict vagrant girl at the gas station a couple of months ago....I'm filling up, she asks me what time it is.   I replied "a quarter after 6".   She replies - "So, that's like 6:30?"

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Every time I encounter a cashier that knows how to count change I not only give them a verbal compliment I find the manager and let them know that the cashier was exceptional.

I like that. Good idea. 

2 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

I'm filling up, she asks me what time it is.   I replied "a quarter after 6".   She replies - "So, that's like 6:30

Could be worse. If you had said a quarter to six she wouldn't even know the hour.

19 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I've been through a sad episode like this more than once. 

Using your $18.29 scenario:  The cashier entered the "$20" paper money into the register for it to compute change, while confusingly depositing the ".29" I handed her with my Jackson into the cash drawer.  She counts out and hands me $1.71, based on what the register told her to do.  I said she owed me more than that because I gave her $20.29.  With her confusion mounting, I explain she owed me $2 total change.  She then uses the calculator under the counter to figure she owes me .29.  She then counts out and hands me two dimes and nine pennies (because quarters and nickels are too confusing).

These people have spent most of their life preping in front of a mirror (both women and "men").  Every hair is in place and carefully trimmed, all of their jewelry and piercings are polished, every tattoo is perfect, they just came from the. gym, grooming their purposeless muscles and their dental implants are almost paid for.  Now,  it would be great if they only knew how to do something else besides perfect their image.  

Gentlemen remember you can’t fix stupid sometimes it’s just best to wear ear plugs smile at them and let the masses believe we’re just old and senile

12 minutes ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

remember you can’t fix stupid

It's not stupid.  It's ignorant.  The difference is education. We are failing these children.

Current Case:

I just came home from our local TSC Store.  I needed hydraulic fluid.  In front of me at check out was fine specimen of masculinity.  About 30-ish, he looked like something out of a steroid commercial, with biceps bigger than my thighs, or nearly so.   He had two 50# bags of dog food in his cart.  While I stood patiently holding my 5 gal of fluid, he asked the tiny female cashier for a couple big plastic bags so his truck wouldn't get messed up.  She handed him what appeared to be two big, clear trash bags.  He then held one open for HER to drop the dog food in.   I was a bit stunned, but still managed to offer to help her.  Then he opened the other bag for ME to drop in the other bag.  

I commented, "Don't strain that six pack."  His response: "Hey, she gets paid".

I realized there was no sensitivity beyond himself at that point, but the old phrase, "Worthless as the teats on a boar" came to mind. 

Archived