SASS Wire Forum

Taylor's 1911 10mm

Howdy RYE.

My 'cheap' 10mm is the Iver Johnson Eagle XL, with 6" barrel.   And basically,  there really isn't anything

'cheap' about it except its $800 price tag.

But I also have a Rock Island Armory .45 with 6" barrel that is also priced right for my budget... @ $800.

Right now, its at .460 Rowland being upgraded to the Rowland cartridge.

More on it when I get it back.

The 10mm is a great caliber, especially in 5 or 6" barrels.

I've tested the 10mm in my 3.8" Springfield Xdm and my 4" Tanfaglio.   Needless to say, shorter

barrels really don't do justice for the 10mm.

I believe the 5" and 6" really help the 10mm 'show off' its power.

..........Widder

32 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy RYE.

My 'cheap' 10mm is the Iver Johnson Eagle XL, with 6" barrel.   And basically,  there really isn't anything

But I also have a Rock Island Armory .45 with 6" barrel that is also priced right for my budget... @ $800.

I've tested the 10mm in my 3.8" Springfield Xdm and my 4" Tanfaglio.   Needless to say, shorter

..........Widder

Thanks Widder, interesting info on the 10mm.

Its an ARMSCOR, I have the 9mm version I bought it from Palmeto State Armory. IIRC I paid about $369.00.

Haven't had the opportunity to shoot it a lot but had zero issues with the first 50 rounds of factory 9mm ball ammo.

I bought/traded for my Colt Delta Elite in early 1989.  Still got it.  

Picked up a  Springfield Armory TRP 10mm 5" a couple of years ago.

The TRP was finicky about feeding until I tried some Tripp Research magazines.  All is good now.

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Quality magazines are more important than who made the 1911.

From my limited experience, I agree.

Based upon how forceful & fast the slide reciprocates to eject the empty and pick up the next round,

ya gotta have a magazine with good spring strength AND smooth functioning to have that next round

in position for the slide to pick it up and feed correctly.

For my .460 Rowlands that I already have, I had to get a couple WILSON mags that they make just for

the 460 Rowland.   They actually print..."460 Rowland" on the magazines.

They work great.   They have strong springs.

And when I switch to factory mags, the pistols don't function as well.   With the special mags, they

work great.

..........Widder

My latest is built from a RI upper or 2.I have a complete Slide & barrel in10 & 1 in 40.Easy enough to change caliber

My first was a DeltaStill have it.

Largo

On 5/8/2023 at 8:27 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy RYE.

..........Widder

Please please Widder, do a post on the 460 when ya ger her back please...I'm on the edge of sending them one of mine

1 hour ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Please please Widder, do a post on the 460 when ya ger her back please...I'm on the edge of sending them one of mine

Howdy OAF.

I already have some info and chronograph info on 5" 460 Rowlands, both built on Kimber 1911 frames.

The one I'm waiting on at this time is a 6" Rock Island Armory with bull barrel.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Got a colt that I think would do well with a 460 conversion....I love the ballistics 

I'll pull out my notes tomorrow concerning my reloads and reload data...... plus Chronograph results

and list them on here.

One thing I haven't done is load up any of the max loads listed on their website.   Basically, I get

all the performance I want without maximum loads.

Some of my 185 grain bullets have achieved 1500+ fps out the 5" barrel, with loads that were still

1.3 grains UNDER max load data........ roughly 10% under.

BUT these same loads were basically 50% more than the standard 45 ACP load data.

P.S. - I shot a steel plate rack once with the .460 and it blew them down hard.

..........Widder

Howdy Ornery Oaf.

This load data is from two 5" Kimber 1911's, both with muzzle brakes.

And I might add, I would advise using the muzzle brake.   I took one of mine off just to sense how much

felt recoil these loads would have without a brake.   I fired 3 rounds and decided the brake is a big

help in taming the felt recoil.   Actually, I knew on the 2nd round but decided to shoot just one more

round because 'I can handle it'..... :lol:

With the muzzle brake, shooting these particular loads that I'm listing are not intimidating at all.

But, you can tell that you are shooting a formidable load.

BOTH of my 5" pistols also use the "V2 Recoil Damper" system by Rowland, with 16# slide recoil springs.

Average velocities were choreographed at 8' from muzzle.  Target was at approx 8-9 yards.

12.0 Power Pistol.    185 JHP.      Vel: 1393

12.0 LongShot.         185 JHP.       Vel: 1398

12.1 Power Pistol.     185 JHP.       Vel: 1410.  (very accurate)

12.1 LongShot.          185 JHP.       Vel: 1410   (very accurate)

12.5 LongShot.         185 JHP.        Vel: 1447  (very respectable load)

11.0 CFE                     185 JHP.         Vel: 1376.  (good accuracy)

11.4 CFE                     185 JHP          Vel: 1410.  (good accuracy)

GENERAL INFO:  Max load on Rowlands website for the 185 grain bullets using Power Pistol

and LongShot is 13.4 grains for those 2 powders.   After working up some 12.5 grains with

both Power Pistol and LongShot, I personally didn't care to shoot any 13.4 grains of powder.

My favorite in both performance and accuracy is LongShot...... and Power Pistol gives

basically the same performance and accuracy.   You can't go wrong with either powder.

MORE LOAD DATA:

11.3 CFE.                        200 JHP.          Vel: 1341

11.5 LongShot              200 JHP           Vel: 1347

11.5 Power Pistol.        200 JHP.          Vel: 1330

10.1 CFE.                        230 JHP.            Vel: 1199

10.1 LongShot              230 JHP             Vel: 1227

10.1                                  230 JHP             Vel: 1210

I thought I had some load data that I had achieved 1500+ fps using 185 grain bullets, but 

I don't......... so disregard my comment on my previous post about that velocity.

But I do believe if I ventured into loading closer to maximum loads (using Rowland load data info),

1500+ is possible.

One other thing....... I think CLARK CUSTOM also modifies the 1911 for the .460 Rowland.   You might

want to check out their options also.

EDIT:  Although I use the V2 Recoil Damper system in my pistols, I also tested the

"Tougher Buffer" type setup using Wilson flat wire springs of #24 and 20# together.

The dual spring 'Tougher Buffer' works very well and I couldn't tell much difference.

But I like the V2 system a little better.

..........Widder

• 3 weeks later...

Archived