SASS Wire Forum

Legality of shotgun belt

Irishpete

I remade this pooler and Jones style belt I found. It was horribly moldy and stank, so didn’t feel too bad about remaking it. But the sass shooters hand book says a loop may be made out of metal but do these brass count as a loop. Had a couple of questions on it at the match yesterday. Thanks for your time,

Irish Pete D54BC229-A272-48DA-8F90-2D3B15813CE8.thumb.jpeg.d9353bc582ca2e09300ed368377775d2.jpeg

The SHB, pg 3, states:
"Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However, the entire loop may be made of metal."

There is no definition of "Loop" in the SBH.

By the photo, this belt appears to be legal

For those with poor eyesight.

image.jpeg.09d1ce64db10c82117b56bf4b721951c.jpeg

Would certainly think it would meet the spirit of the rule, being all metal.  Essentially a split loop.

good luck, GJ

I see nothing wrong with it. And I just went through the rules for every instance of "shotgun."

Want devils advocate? Your loops are not closed loops. I am enough of a metal worker to make closed loops work just as well as what you built. If we were to shoot on the same posse, the worst you might expect from me is to ask for a closer look at your workmanship. It looks nice and might give me ideas for style points.

On edit: I also searched on the words "loop," circle, "complete," and "closed." I also see no need for clarification from a rules committee. I also found a previous thread discussing the prohibition on combat reload gear, and that does not seem to apply to this question at all. Why did I look? Not to ding you, I like what you did and am filing it away for the future. That is why I would like a closer look at your work..

That's a really cool looking old shotgun belt and probably more period correct than what most of us are using.  As for legality, I'll defer to the SASS lawyers for that one.

23 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Case closed on first link, PWB already spoke there. @Irishpete, I would really appreciate more closeup pics of your construction. How did you secure the loops to the leather, and how did you form the loops?

brass is metal , why are we questioning this - it also looks the era , sometimes these rules get abused but in this case its pretty clear - no plastic and no elastic - its metal 

NOPE Not legal. Send it to me and I'll give it a loving and caring home. :P

It is perfectly legal and period correct. Great find. I would love to have one.

I understand rules...which I believe it's been established that this is completely inside. 

But not sure I care either way,  this thing is so damn COOL!!!!

If you get grief I will start a petition to get this to classify under special circumstance for "style points override all"

How are they attached to the belt? 

I may need to also have one of these one day...like yesterday.

Lunger Dan builds SG belts like this too, does great work too.

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

But are they too tight for all brass shells?

All brass are the same outer diameter as plastic hulls, otherwise they wouldn't fit in the shotgun chambers.

Triple + on style points that thing is just plain cool, nice job on the restoration, you should find someone to take a real tin type photo of you with your guns and that belt loaded up

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

All brass are the same outer diameter as plastic hulls, otherwise they wouldn't fit in the shotgun chambers.

Uhm...   You'd think that.  But it's not quite true.

I have a single loop 12 gauge belt that AA's slide right into with little to no resistance.  But the Magtech all brass shells are are tight fit, and the Rocky Mountain Cartridge ones are VERY tight.   But all three types fit in my the chambers of my guns just fine.

So, I've put the RMC's in the loops to stretch them a little.

Where could you find some brass shotshell holders like those ?

14 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Where could you find some brass shotshell holders like those ?

PM Lunger Dan, IIRC, he made his own.

55 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

PM Lunger Dan, IIRC, he made his own.

Thank Yul, 

It's called a thimble belt, 100% legal, 100% period correct.

My good pard Castalia made some reproduction thimbles back in the 90's.  

I put them on a belt, went to EOT walked up to Tex and the Judge, asked them how they liked my belt, they thought it was great.

IMG_20151111_0001.thumb.jpg.8c5dfc9de7e37956c0719cf754122de0.jpg

If you look real close, Sheriff John Slaughter is wearing one in the picture.

05581df000342993f24db3b4cc45baf3.jpg.cc7c09681822088cb98a94815f974531.jpg

if the top shooters find this as an advantage i want to see them use it and prove it , i see this as a cool factor not an advantage for anyone that might choose to soot with it 

I didnt have any actual original brass carriers to go by-I just used pictures of the old belt advert from the period..  A vice, a BFH, minitorch, correct size socket to use as a form, a flat pattern I made that could be cut out of the brass then beaten into submission and finally aged with some heat and vinegar. 
I use them on a bandolier...the thing I like is you can squeeze or loosen them to be as tight or loose as you want.  I just made it for me @ 2 years ago-I dont make any to sell.

IMG_4147.JPG

7 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

I didnt have any actual original brass carriers to go by-I just used pictures of the old belt advert from the period..  A vice, a BFH, minitorch, correct size socket to use as a form, a flat pattern I made that could be cut out of the brass then beaten into submission and finally aged with some heat and vinegar. 
I use them on a bandolier...the thing I like is you can squeeze or loosen them to be as tight or loose as you want.  I just made it for me @ 2 years ago-I dont make any to sell.

IMG_4147.JPG

What gage brass did you use ? We just moved so all my tools are all over a storage unit waiting to be organized, lol

2 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

What gage brass did you use ? We just moved so all my tools are all over a storage unit waiting to be organized, lol

I dont know ..threw the package away..it was the stuff they have in Hobby Lobby...I measure it at @ .15-.16 inches thick

After cutting out the brass from the template, I beat/squeeze the brass through the vice using a socket as a form

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

5 minutes ago, Lunger Dan said:

I dont know ..threw the package away..it was the stuff they have in Hobby Lobby...I measure it at @ .15-.16 inches thick

After cutting out the brass from the template, I beat/squeeze the brass through the vice using a socket as a form

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3312.JPG

Cool, it will be a while before I do any but if I have any question I will send you a pm

1 hour ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

Cool, it will be a while before I do any but if I have any question I will send you a pm

Curiosity question who or how many of you would want some of these brass shotshell holders ??

Just let me know when you start taking orders for this.

Archived